1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I want to rewrite my "weak" content,but should i change url's to recover?

Hi,
    My site was "hit" from Google algorithm and all my rankings has disappeared (pretty sure that this is content issue,not a link penalty).I got advices in google forums that i should rewrite my pages content ( because many sites has copied my content )
    But i'm not sure what to do with page url's?Should i rewrite them also?
    For example: mysite.com/product to become mysite.com/product1 ?
    I'm asking this because whether or not content is rewrited google will see exact same pages if i keep old url's?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

There is no need to re-write your URLs, although having appropriate keywords within them could be a small benefit. IF you do this, make sure you redirect your old pages.

Based on the above, Google has de-indexed your pages because they offer little value to anyone and therefore are not worthy of ranking/keeping in the index. Ask yourself, do those pages have a reason to exist? If not, remove or improve. (Remember, content doesn't necessarily have to be all words, it can have images, videos, quotes, polls, slideshows, data-visualizations like graphs etc)

Once you have got them to a standard you believe is worthy of being included, use Webmaster Tools (Health > Fetch as Googlebot) to recrawl your pages and they should start being indexed.

I hope that helps
    Rick

Comments on this post

• realityhack agrees : Rickeliason is 100% correct about making sure the content should exist and adds value to the web.
    • SEO_AM agrees : Unless truly necessary to change them, I too would leave the url's as they are. If you 301 to others you will lose some of your link juice.
    Like my answer above? I am all over Google+! You may also like my SEO Audit Cheat Sheet.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

As pointed out above. The real question is what should be on your site.
    If your approach is:
    I want ad-sense money
    Therefore:
    Content

Your site will likely suck. If your old content sucked... 'rewriting it' won't make it any better for the user. And Google will eventually figure that out.

Try:
    I have an idea for an amazing site about X
    I have lots of ideas for what people will want to see and read
    I need to pay for this somehow
    Therefore:
    I will run some ads once I have a great site up
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by rickeliason
    There is no need to re-write your URLs, although having appropriate keywords within them could be a small benefit. IF you do this, make sure you redirect your old pages.

Based on the above, Google has de-indexed your pages because they offer little value to anyone and therefore are not worthy of ranking/keeping in the index. Ask yourself, do those pages have a reason to exist? If not, remove or improve. (Remember, content doesn't necessarily have to be all words, it can have images, videos, quotes, polls, slideshows, data-visualizations like graphs etc)

Once you have got them to a standard you believe is worthy of being included, use Webmaster Tools (Health > Fetch as Googlebot) to recrawl your pages and they should start being indexed.

I hope that helps
    Rick
    Is it possible to simply have been 'moved down' in SERP vs being de-indexed?

Share your URL with me privately, I will check or your URL to determine Whether not you have been de-indexed or simply moved down in the search engine results page.
    Last edited by PathwayIns; Feb 24th, 2013 at 08:34 AM.