1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I need your reviews

Hello All,
    i am in processes in optimizing a site,the keywords which i selected are

1. IT Jobs - 116
    2. Career portal -44
    3. Job portal - 31
    4. Global jobs - 91
    5. Global career Portal - 1
    6. IT career portal - 23
    7. information technology jobs - 100+

and i haven't done any on page optimization whatsoever yet.i am just building links from several sources as mine is a job site coz the developer in on a vacation and hasn't turned up yet.

i would need reviews from you guys as to are these rankings good enough initially or they suck.....i want to get a better rankings than the bigiies out there,i know thats not possible,but i wont give up..i will simply keep trying since mine is a job board,i am planning to get links from .edu sites...is this trick gonna work....i guess i will be able to get 30 links from .edu sites....
  3. No Profile Picture
    Winning
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

My advice is those are very general and without a full blown web site plan for domination you will never win all or even 1 of those. You would be better off just focusing on a much smaller area of those keywords and building larger from there. I think to continue on with those would be biting off way more than you could chew. And since you are asking for advice, it probably means you are not yet ready to take on a task that large.
  5. Customized?

I personally would not search for "global jobs". What does it bring to the user? Beome a food tester in Zimbabwe?
    I saw your site. What if you make subdomains with the country. eg. "south-africa.iitjobs.com" Further you go for "south-africa.iitjobs.com/javascript"
    Above the single offer you write "Job Posting" why not "Job Posting - Title of the Job, put this in <h1> tag.
    In General dont go for keywords like "IT Jobs" you will be frustrated after a while because you will find yourself always behind "the big ones". Go more local as i said above.
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by slayerment
    My advice is those are very general and without a full blown web site plan for domination you will never win all or even 1 of those. You would be better off just focusing on a much smaller area of those keywords and building larger from there. I think to continue on with those would be biting off way more than you could chew. And since you are asking for advice, it probably means you are not yet ready to take on a task that large.

thanks for the reply.but i am already being ranked 1 for a very generic word "global career portal" plus a google search by my domain name yields 30,000 results.......would you still recomend the same ??
  9. No Profile Picture
    Winning

Originally Posted by subzero27
    thanks for the reply.but i am already being ranked 1 for a very generic word "global career portal" plus a google search by my domain name yields 30,000 results.......would you still recomend the same ??
    Global career portal gets no searches in a month and has a competition of 110 on Google. I would recommend going after keywords that generate actual traffic that you can win.

You can't even compare keywords like "IT Jobs" and "Global career portal" as they are both light years away in both traffic and competition.
    Last edited by slayerment; Mar 12th, 2007 at 01:32 PM.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by slayerment
    Global career portal gets no searches in a month and has a competition of 110 on Google. I would recommend going after keywords that generate actual traffic that you can win.

You can't even compare keywords like "IT Jobs" and "Global career portal" as they are both light years away in both traffic and competition.
    Thanks for the detailed answer but the traffic which i get from google is like close to 50-100 each day.not including yahoo or msn.

but thanks a lot for providing such deep insights,i really appriciate it.

i will target some other niche keywords apart from these,any other recommendations guys ????
  13. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I don't see how anyone can judge whether your perfomance to date is good or bad - it depends on where & when you started and on how much "help" you had and how much $$$'s you spent...

From my own POV, the choice of KW's is your business... Quite frankly I can't see "global career portal" being a huge traffic term, but I'm sure it will get you some hits... In fact - I can't see "global" being often associated with "jobs" except when looking for a job which involves travelling worldwide...

I tend to approach keywords by remembering the "KEY" part of the word!
    In your situation I would probably start with "IT Jobs", add "international" in there somewhere and forget "portal" or "global" - but like I said - your keywords are your business.

Something you should bear in mind is that your goal(s) should be decided before you embark on your link campaign; external influences will have much more effect than your "on-site optimisation".
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  15. No Profile Picture
    Winning

Thanks for the detailed answer but the traffic which i get from google is like close to 50-100 each day.not including yahoo or msn.

but thanks a lot for providing such deep insights,i really appriciate it.

i will target some other niche keywords apart from these,any other recommendations guys ????
    Sweet, so you're telling me I can write a page on Global Career Portal and be receiving 50-100 uniques a day as soon as I win it, despite what the metrics say? Sounds like easy money.
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    I don't see how anyone can judge whether your perfomance to date is good or bad - it depends on where & when you started and on how much "help" you had and how much $$$'s you spent...

From my own POV, the choice of KW's is your business... Quite frankly I can't see "global career portal" being a huge traffic term, but I'm sure it will get you some hits... In fact - I can't see "global" being often associated with "jobs" except when looking for a job which involves travelling worldwide...

I tend to approach keywords by remembering the "KEY" part of the word!
    In your situation I would probably start with "IT Jobs", add "international" in there somewhere and forget "portal" or "global" - but like I said - your keywords are your business.

Something you should bear in mind is that your goal(s) should be decided before you embark on your link campaign; external influences will have much more effect than your "on-site optimisation".
    Thanks man for the reply ..but the basic idea of the site is global IT jobs,as IT is a field where everything is going global,people move from country to country for assignments,foreign companies outsource talent etc etc so the basic idea is that a IT guy is global,thats why i targeted the global term,it defines the purpose.

regarding the investment its $30 as of now,that too in google PPC.
  19. Super Moderator

Thanks man for the reply ..but the basic idea of the site is global IT jobs,as IT is a field where everything is going global,people move from country to country for assignments,foreign companies outsource talent etc etc so the basic idea is that a IT guy is global,thats why i targeted the global term,it defines the purpose.

regarding the investment its $30 as of now,that too in google PPC.
    Ok I see the idea... but I'm not sure if that's more relevant to you than the guy searching for work (which is why I think this isn't a job you can ask others to do for you/help with unless they're in the same field... (Just out of interest - I was a commercial IT manager before I started my own online business and - whilst I did travel extensively - I wouldn't be searching for "global it jobs" if I were looking to go back to it.

The $ amount doesn't mean much on its own (without the "help") but I would include your time and expenses in that figure
    Last edited by ClickyB; Mar 12th, 2007 at 02:30 PM.
  21. Contributing User

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    Ok I see the idea... but I'm not sure if that's more relevant to you than the guy searching for work (which is why I think this isn't a job you can ask others to do for you/help with unless they're in the same field... (Just out of interest - I was a commercial IT manager before I started my own online business and - whilst I did travel extensively - I wouldn't be searching for "global it jobs" if I were looking to go back to it.

The $ amount doesn't mean much on its own (without the "help") but I would include your time and expenses in that figure
    Well bout my time - 12 hrs a day and $250 a month
    Last edited by subzero27; Mar 12th, 2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: forgot to add a simley
  23. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Hello All,
    i am in processes in optimizing a site,the keywords which i selected are

1. IT Jobs - 116
    2. Career portal -44
    3. Job portal - 31
    4. Global jobs - 91
    5. Global career Portal - 1
    6. IT career portal - 23
    7. information technology jobs - 100+

and i haven't done any on page optimization whatsoever yet.i am just building links from several sources as mine is a job site coz the developer in on a vacation and hasn't turned up yet.

i would need reviews from you guys as to are these rankings good enough initially or they suck.....i want to get a better rankings than the bigiies out there,i know thats not possible,but i wont give up..i will simply keep trying since mine is a job board,i am planning to get links from .edu sites...is this trick gonna work....i guess i will be able to get 30 links from .edu sites....
    What are those numbers beside those keywords all about?
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I think those numbers are the monthly search volumes from Overture. I would think that targeting someting a bit narrower would be a better focus. Longer tail search converts much better than the generic terms you have listed.
  27. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by salesmachine
    What are those numbers beside those keywords all about?
    Originally Posted by motoxxx
    I think those numbers are the monthly search volumes from Overture. I would think that targeting someting a bit narrower would be a better focus. Longer tail search converts much better than the generic terms you have listed.
    serps rankings
    Last edited by ClickyB; Mar 12th, 2007 at 04:14 PM.