1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I need guidance on SEOing

I own a local electrical company, I aim towards residential and small commercial electrical work. I made a website in order to get more business. I think it's pretty decent from an SEO standpoint, but I don't think that's going to work on it's own.

I need to know what to do now, how can I effectively do off-site SEO without "cheating"- which is what most people in my position seem to do, but I think it's going to bite them in the *** with the recent changes.

In all my reading about SEO lately, people say to write articles, blog, put new content on your website that will get other people to come read it and link to it, etc. But that seems aimed at bloggers and writers. I'm an electrician, my website is static. I could blog about what color underwear I am wearing that day or how many splinters I received crawling through a customer's attic, but I don't think anyone would care.

There are maybe 4-5 things that I can write that I think normal people (ie, not other electrician) might actually read, such as the in's and out's of connecting a generator to your home. But what would I do with those articles? Post them in a blog on my own website? Would that generate backlinks? People talk about posting articles on other sites to get links, how would that work.

I'm really at a loss here :-(
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Create a blog on your site as a sub page....mysite.com/electrical-blog then start creating blogs about your electrical business, your area, the electrical issues in your area etc. and link to your site pages, Now your getting additional internal links and adding content.
  5. Contributing User

Thanks for the reply.

You've seen my site, should the blog be a different format without the same header, sidebar, and footers? I ask because those already have links to all my other pages.

As for the layout, I should make it mysite.com/electrical_blog/article_1.php and then article_2 and so on?
  7. No Profile Picture

This one should be the #1 thing to do, Dedicate some time to writing really great content. The saying goes that you should write for people first and search engines second. This basically means you should be creating really quality pieces that are useful and engaging for humans because the search engines will recognise your efforts. Your readers will share your work generating additional backlinks, not to mention extra traffic, and search engines will recognise your quality piece because it will flow naturally with not too many keywords (something which is penalized in the post Penguin Update world).
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Write an article how to choose the right size generator for your home. Or how much it might cost in your area to buy solar panels. Something useful for the consumers because besides for back-links someone might read that article and say hey this guy sounds like he knows his stuff let me call him.
    Then submit those articles to a place like ezinearticles.com and others here can recommend more such places. I think its better to submit elsewhere instead of your own blog. But whichever way you do it make sure you only use each article once. So you can do 1 article in your own blog and another one to submit elsewhere and so on.