1. seo ranter
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

thanks for the info..
  3. Contributing User

Seems that the issues facing my site are a loss of backlinks and crappy site structure. I'm in the processing of moving the site to cms site, so that should definitely fix the structure issues. Now off to find more links....
  5. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by Crichey
    Seems that the issues facing my site are a loss of backlinks and crappy site structure. I'm in the processing of moving the site to cms site, so that should definitely fix the structure issues. Now off to find more links....
    Yeah but make sure your old urls are redirected to the new ones...
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

This is truly a nice post! A link to it in my sig line is going to stay for a while...

raz
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  9. Contributing User

this is a great post, thanks for the info
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Visio thanks for the info... under the site restructuring section (#4) you stated the following:

Originally Posted by Visio
    "When moving to new pages use 301 redirects from the old to the new but if at all possible keep the old pages as it is better safe than sorry."
    ...is that because 301 redirects are not foolproof? I want to rename many of the urls of my pages to make them simpler and include keywords (I've read many of the posts on here arguing for and against doing that), but I won't risk it if there's a chance Google might not follow the redirects and the pages would lose their juice...
  13. Moderator

Originally Posted by Cataclysmic
    Visio thanks for the info... under the site restructuring section (#4) you stated the following:

...is that because 301 redirects are not foolproof? I want to rename many of the urls of my pages to make them simpler and include keywords (I've read many of the posts on here arguing for and against doing that), but I won't risk it if there's a chance Google might not follow the redirects and the pages would lose their juice...
    Mod rewriting pages from dynamic to static html or to short urls never seems to be a problem(atleast that I have seen) - I start to see problems when redirecting irrelevant pages to other sites..

If you do go through with it expect it to take atleast a month and upto 3-5 months to take full effect.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Great post, thanks for the info!
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Visio
    Mod rewriting pages from dynamic to static html or to short urls never seems to be a problem(atleast that I have seen) - I start to see problems when redirecting irrelevant pages to other sites..

If you do go through with it expect it to take atleast a month and upto 3-5 months to take full effect.
    Wow that's a long time. Potentially losing my SERP traffic for 3-5 months seems like a big incentive NOT to rename any URLs. I'd have thought Google would be quicker than that... alas!
  19. No Profile Picture

A very informative post

I am also passing through a worst face of life. I have had 306000 product pages indexed in Google till July '07. From August, this month, Google started dropping our pages and the process is still continue. Currently we are left with 241000 pages only. Although, we have approx. 600,000 products in our database. Its a Price Comparison Website and the product Feeds are refreshed by their respective vendors very frequently.

Can you shed some light what should I do in current scenario.

Lastly, one of my team player has been posting product page URLs on other websites like - Bookmarking Blogs, PRs, etc.

Please help.
  21. Moderator

Originally Posted by Cataclysmic
    Wow that's a long time. Potentially losing my SERP traffic for 3-5 months seems like a big incentive NOT to rename any URLs. I'd have thought Google would be quicker than that... alas!
    It can be much sooner... I just redirected my seo forums and so far I have not lost any rankings pertaining to the forums yet Google seems to have handled most of the redirects fine.
  23. Moderator

Originally Posted by avnishsaxena
    I am also passing through a worst face of life. I have had 306000 product pages indexed in Google till July '07. From August, this month, Google started dropping our pages and the process is still continue. Currently we are left with 241000 pages only. Although, we have approx. 600,000 products in our database. Its a Price Comparison Website and the product Feeds are refreshed by their respective vendors very frequently.

Can you shed some light what should I do in current scenario.

Lastly, one of my team player has been posting product page URLs on other websites like - Bookmarking Blogs, PRs, etc.

Please help.
    I think Google may think it is just a ton of generated content and worthless... that is just my opinion 600,000 pages which change content frequently would look fishy to me too.

If it was me I would robots exclude all products, have a page for each section and then work on having pages setup for each product, pages which do not change and which can rank for the product... this will save you from leaking value through 600K pages.
  25. Moderator

Locking this for now. If for any reason it should need reopening just send me or another mod a note why you believe it should be reopened.
  27. Moderator

I am reopening this thread for question about the thread ONLY.

Please no questions about your sites or your own scenarios. Create a new thread for that... just ask questions directly related the thread. Any other questions will be removed. Thank you!
  29. No Profile Picture

Fall down your ranking

Hi,
    Your article is very good and very informatics. I think another reason is that you have still your work and your competitor are doing hard work.
    Last edited by Visio; Oct 6th, 2008 at 06:21 AM. Reason: removed quote