1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I changed the format of my urls, did 301...google still sees the old urls

I am running OSCommerce, by default it uses very cryptic urls, I changed it so that the urls include keywords of the particular product a url links to. I setup a 301 redirect and when I look in my logs, googlebot does come and check out the old url, then it gets a 301 code, comes back and gets the right url with a 200 code, yet when I search in google it still reflects all of my old urls and not the new ones. Is there something I am doing wrong?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking about making it so that the old urls no longer work, but this will cause googlebot to see the links as 404s, will this hurt the site's rank? Will googlebot be able to easily find all the new links on its own?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Also, one more thing...my site used to redirect you to the 'catalog' directory (which was where all the products where stored), but I changed it so that it doesn't have to redirect anymore, everything is simply on the base domain. The problem is whenever I go to google and do a 'site:url', it still shows the urls with 'catalog' in the address. BTW, I implemented this change about a month ago and googlebot has visited since then, therefore I would assume that it should have recognized the change by now.
  7. ;-)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

You going to have to wait... sorry....

simple as that...

Google is fast but 301 its a bit slow with in my experience...

More themed links will help plus deep links and making sure no else is linking to the old pages if so change the link.... Most webmaster who give away links for free and or articals about your site will "normally" change update url's if change... Just send them an email...

Good luck...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the input. How long can it take for google to reflect my changes?
  11. ;-)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

It can take a long time...

A good site map and some good deap linking will help a ton...

I wouldn't worry about google... yahoo still hasn't fully update one of the site I mod-rewrited.. and its been 1 yr...

Thats life...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just noticed that after doing a 'link:url' some of the links that are listed do show the new keyword urls, but they still have 'catalog' in the url. Are you sure that googlebot will in fact take this out at some point?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by budbiss
    I just noticed that after doing a 'link:url' some of the links that are listed do show the new keyword urls, but they still have 'catalog' in the url. Are you sure that googlebot will in fact take this out at some point?
    Anyone have a guess at what is going on here? Is googlebot for some reason deciding to update to the new url format now, but waiting to update the 'catalog' part of the address?