1. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

HUGE question about expired domain and the remaining PR - not your typical question!!

Okay, here's the history of my problem/question:

I just got a pre-released domain, great catch has my niche in the domain name and was a chinese company that went out o fbusiness. PR3, 2200 backlinks and a decent profile so I throw up a wordpress site and throw some content up there just to let it get indexed by google before making my next move.

Now I was thinking should I 301 this or make this a page I link to my money site.. I'm still 50/50 because there is no GOOD anchor text, just a lot of links and decent juice...

Upon exploring the domain Via OSE I see that there are a few pages from this domain that have good authority AND have a PR3.

the URL's are such as:

www.domain.com/entry/20/1
    www.domain.com/entry/4/1
    www.domain.com/entry/16/1

and a few others... When I put them in the address bar I get the Wordpress 404 page (obviously) and confirm that the PR is 3...

Here's the kicker..

I go into my domain FTP, create folders /entry/20/1 and throw an index.html file into the 1 directory making www.domain.com/entry/20/1 a working static HTML page... instead of the wordpress 404 page...

BUT

When I noticed the PR, it goes to NA...

When I delete the directory's and refresh the page the 404 error page turns into a PR3 again...

WHAT is going on?

Why would having a file and manual creation of those URLs caus the PR to be NA?

Further more, the URL www.domain.com/entry/17/1 is a NA and when I put it in the address bar I get NA (from the Wordpress 404 page) so I know it's not the homepage being seen as the actual PR, those pages DO have PR and I am unable to capture it...

Does anybody first off, fully understand what I'm typing and/or know what's going on?

EDIT:

I've noticed the following: with the wordpress 404 page it keeps the url exactly as www.domain.com/entry/20/1

HOWEVER, when I manually create the folders entry/20/1 it's rendered as www.domain.com/entry/20/1/ (notice last slash)...

Could this be the problem? If so, how do I force the last slash to be dropped??
    Last edited by joshz; Feb 8th, 2011 at 01:54 PM.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  3. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hello Joshz,
    In the settings you can have custom permalinks, from there you can simply remove the /
  5. SEO Consultant

Wiz, this directory is not attached to WordPress, wordpress is installed on "/" the directory entry/20/1 is an empty directory with one index.html file on it. The WordPress CMS has no infulance on this directory.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

It does now

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : don't forget to cash in your favor - i owe you a good link :)
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Would it work if you used .htaccess to mod the slash on that page?
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I think what's important is that you deliver 200 for the page slash or no slash. Those links probably point to the / version, and if they don't, I would doubt google discriminates between trailing and no trailing slash versions of pages. (haven't tested that myself mind you.)
  13. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

The version ending with a / is treated as the root of a directory, the version without a / is treated as a file, therefore they are treated as separate urls, hence why you see one with PR and the other without.
  15. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Originally Posted by channel5
    The version ending with a / is treated as the root of a directory, the version without a / is treated as a file, therefore they are treated as separate urls, hence why you see one with PR and the other without.
    Yup and the best way for you to combat this Josh would be to make folders:
    /entry/20/
    /entry/4/
    /entry/16/
    and add a page called 1 to each folder. Your url should then be set correctly to /entry/20/1
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  17. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Originally Posted by distinctseo
    Those links probably point to the / version, and if they don't, I would doubt google discriminates between trailing and no trailing slash versions of pages. (haven't tested that myself mind you.)
    We dont have an extension on our clients sites and always link without a / on the end of a page for example www.mysite.com/products/product-page which lets say has PR1 but if we add a / on the end it has PRN/A so I can tell you for a face it will effect PR, but not rankings from what I can see from our client sites.
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by NathanielB
    We dont have an extension on our clients sites and always link without a / on the end of a page for example www.mysite.com/products/product-page which lets say has PR1 but if we add a / on the end it has PRN/A so I can tell you for a face it will effect PR, but not rankings from what I can see from our client sites.
    Do you have the code that allows files with no extension to be parsed, either as html or as php?
  21. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    Would it work if you used .htaccess to mod the slash on that page?
    EASIER said than done my friend.. I got my butt kicked trying to do this every which way - it's a lot harder to do within a directory of a domain and not on the root level.

Originally Posted by channel5
    Yeah, exactly - I figured that out the hard way while chugging coffee and stressing out what the heck was going on. Lesson learned though, right? Part of the SEO job - learning something new everyday.

Yup and the best way for you to combat this Josh would be to make folders:
    /entry/20/
    /entry/4/
    /entry/16/
    and add a page called 1 to each folder. Your url should then be set correctly to /entry/20/1
    That's what I did. I manually created the folders and uploaded a file; however, browsers automatically added the / at the end of the URL, something I DID not want.

Originally Posted by distinctseo
    I think what's important is that you deliver 200 for the page slash or no slash. Those links probably point to the / version, and if they don't, I would doubt google discriminates between trailing and no trailing slash versions of pages. (haven't tested that myself mind you.)
    According to the PR, they are treated as two sites - and as far as layout/structure - I don't care too much, this is just a site I'm playing with to test some SEO tactics so at the end of the day, I just got it because it's in my niche and can feed my money site.

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    Do you have the code that allows files with no extension to be parsed, either as html or as php?
    Yeah, Josh was kind enough to help me yesterday try to figure out how to force remove the "/" of a URL via htaccess file - we tried a half a dozen ways with no success. Josh had a good idea to just manually create those categories in WordPress and name the posts "1" within category "20/" and adding an "entry" prefix to all blog URLs.
  23. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    No sorry I dont have it to hand, but I can ask one of our tech guys to give me the code if your in need of it?
  25. SEO Consultant

No sorry I dont have it to hand, but I can ask one of our tech guys to give me the code if your in need of it?
    Do you mind? This would be GREAT for future reference.

Nat, check out my other thread on here - really woulud love your feedback if you don't mind.
  27. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Originally Posted by joshz
    Do you mind? This would be GREAT for future reference.

Nat, check out my other thread on here - really woulud love your feedback if you don't mind.
    NP mate, which code is it you would like me to try and get for you?

Will check the other thread when I find it

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo