1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Huge drop in Google traffic,can't find the reason?

Hi SEO's

I have big problem with one of my sites.
    The site is 5 years old,PR4,with good trust and reputation.I had 1st page rankings in G for almost all of my keywords since the 1st year of launching the site.Now, one week ago,I have lost 75% of the organic traffic from Google and can't find the reason.
    The only changes that i made in the last month was to place Google Maps on few pages (just for SEO test).For example on page: "Builders in Chicago",I placed Google Map with search results for the same phrase.
    The other reason can be that in one test site(still in development),I placed incidentally a link to this site.The test site has thousands of pages with no value - so my reputable site received thousands of new links from crappy site .I found that in my Webmaster account (after the site rankings drop) - the number of incoming links was raised from around 2000 to more then 30 000!!! I deleted the test site immediately,but now I'm afraid that my site can be penalized fro that.

My rankings drop is huge.Main keywords gone from 4-5th place to 4-6 page!!Long tail keywords gone from 1st-2ond places,to 2ond-3th page.
    Please advice me what really can be the reason.I don't use blackhat SEO - just on page SEO and link building.
  3. Online Business Builder
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by iisark
    Hi SEO's
    the number of incoming links was raised from around 2000 to more then 30 000!!!
    Based on given information IMO it's a link saturation... what other experts think on this?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by iisark
    Hi SEO's

I have big problem with one of my sites.
    The site is 5 years old,PR4,with good trust and reputation.I had 1st page rankings in G for almost all of my keywords since the 1st year of launching the site.Now, one week ago,I have lost 75% of the organic traffic from Google and can't find the reason.
    The only changes that i made in the last month was to place Google Maps on few pages (just for SEO test).For example on page: "Builders in Chicago",I placed Google Map with search results for the same phrase.
    The other reason can be that in one test site(still in development),I placed incidentally a link to this site.The test site has thousands of pages with no value - so my reputable site received thousands of new links from crappy site .I found that in my Webmaster account (after the site rankings drop) - the number of incoming links was raised from around 2000 to more then 30 000!!! I deleted the test site immediately,but now I'm afraid that my site can be penalized fro that.

My rankings drop is huge.Main keywords gone from 4-5th place to 4-6 page!!Long tail keywords gone from 1st-2ond places,to 2ond-3th page.
    Please advice me what really can be the reason.I don't use blackhat SEO - just on page SEO and link building.
    You were probably hit by latest Google Panda Update happened last week i.e. 14 Oct, 2011. With this update Google doesn't vanished the site completely from SERPs results but only shifted the rankings from first to second page and from second to third or fourth page. But this shift itself can result in 60-70% drop in traffic as very few searchers go beyond the first or second page. Research on Panda Update and see what have you done wrong. If you think you were hit mistakenly use the Google Webmaster Central forum dedicated for webmasters hit by Panda Update:
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=76830633df82fd8e&hl=en

This post suggest that they (Google team members) do read every single post to the thread and its one of the longest thread in the Google Help forum
    http://www.seroundtable.com/panda-forum-thread-14186.html
    Last edited by Singhvineet; Oct 21st, 2011 at 03:58 AM.