1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Erm, no, it's not because Google is confused by the query after an update in 2016. I have been using that website as an example of the power of links for a lot longer than that.
    This is how "wind" ranks for me across a number of G country SEs.

USA = #11
    Canada = #199
    UK = #31
    Aust = #99
    NZ = #78

The link numbers are constant. Do you use this example to explain the power of links to Canadian clients?

Ask yourself why these rank numbers vary so widely. Could it be a little more complex these days than just, "links"? (We don't need your answer here as it is irrelevant to the post.)

Have you checked out the poster's website, yet?

Enough of the trying to find fault with my statements. How about you focus on helping the posters?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Dwallis2012,
    You don't seem to have grasped the basics of targeting potential clients in generic search.

You have not set up your site to attract your main target audience and the search words they will use and now you talk about targeting a search query that has nothing to do with your services nor the location of your target potential clients.

I believe the most likely outcomes of this will be:

• Your rankings for your primary search terms will decline
    • You will waste a lot of time publishing content for irrelevant search terms

Here is what is wrong with targeting the search query: lake garda weddings

• There is no indication that any of these searchers are about to be married. They could be searching for pics of some recent celebrity wedding.
    • There is no indication they want the services of a photographer. They could be looking for venues, planners, celebrants, etc.
    • There is no indication they want a Warrington, UK based photographer.

IMHO, throw away the SEM Rush software. It looks like you are misusing it and heading down blind and irrelevant alleys as a consequence.

I am NOT recommending that you don't publish the Lake Garda pics. It is the search query you want to target that is wrong.

You want to target something like:

• wedding photographer Italian venues
    • wedding photographer Lake Garda

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your SEO problems and lack of knowledge are such that a few broad SEO tips in a forum environment are more likely to be misleading than helpful.

Find yourself a good UK SEO who is experienced in small business search markets and who also offers training. Be very careful, most of these services are also garbage.

Good luck.
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Enough of the trying to find fault with my statements. How about you focus on helping the posters?
    It's difficult to help when people are giving advice like "links won't help you"
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Sep 26th, 2017 at 12:49 PM.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

changed site

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    It's difficult to help when people are giving advice like "links won't help you"

Well I bit the bullet

I redesigned my homepage, I did ALOT of keyword research and picked out ones with good traffic, that were relevant to my page and paid
    a content writer to write me some new content featuring my chosen keywords

I think the new layout works much better, it shows off my work better, contains loads more keywords that I hadnt
    previously included and I think has a lot of good content

I will be getting rid of most of the links from the bottom of the page when time allows and incorporate something new
    into the top menu

Now I have dumped the keywords into the semrush position tracker and we will see what happens over the coming weeks

I also made this new page - www.leonardo-studios.com/lake-garda-weddings
    again hiring a blog writer this time to incorporate the keywords needed

Fingers crossed this will actually work for me, I also have someone working on an AMP version for the site although I
    am still unsure about using it since my site is already pretty mobile friendly (atleast I think so?)

Happy for you guys to point out any glaring mistakes

I did actually <EM> </EM> most of my keywords or <A Href> them. Not sure if this is best practice and if it even helps
    google bot find the relevant words on the page?

Appreciate your thoughts on the new site and if i messed anything up

According to pageexplorer its a lot better than it used to be
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by dwallis2012
    I think the new layout works much better,
    Never, ever, anything ever! Only Google analytics will tell you if it is 'better'.

However if you want to hack Google off it is a good job. The coding is terrible, the text is difficult to read (tiny!), you have links that point to the same page - what is that about ....?

Seriously - either hire a website developer, get WordPress or sign up to something like SquareSpace. You aren't going to make much headway while your user experience is so bad.

... really great photos though!
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Doodled
    I agree, the website is terrible, the photos are amazing. It's like when I take pictures, not good, but I know UX and SEO
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Never, ever, anything ever! Only Google analytics will tell you if it is 'better'.

However if you want to hack Google off it is a good job. The coding is terrible, the text is difficult to read (tiny!), you have links that point to the same page - what is that about ....?

Seriously - either hire a website developer, get WordPress or sign up to something like SquareSpace. You aren't going to make much headway while your user experience is so bad.

The text is easy to read on both my 27" 4k monitor and also my mobile (also tried in Safari, firefox, chrome and ie all look good to me)

the links pointing to the same page i believe is a white hat hack giving the anchor text more relevance on the page
    my user experience apparently is very good according to several well respected analytic sites, but if thats not the case
    for you then fair enough.

the page actually scores very highly on most SEO graders, website.grader.com for example grades it 94/100 24/30 performance, 30/30 mobile, 30/30 seo, 10/10 security

page explorer gives me a PE score of A 92.91%
    seositecheckup gives me a score of 91/100
    seoptimer.com gives me B+ seo A- Usability B- performance a+ security
    neil patel seo analyzer gives me B+ and 66

Obviously some room for improvement but if you take into consideration that my competitors sites are hugely worse in
    comparison, My own SEO is beating that of some professionally designed sites and I have known about SEO for about 4 months!

Ofcourse my code could be tidied and ill look if I can do anything with the validation thingy
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

btw that wasnt meant to sound argumentative !

just checked a few serps, I am top 5 for wedding photographers warrington, wedding photographer warrington and wedding photography warrington. Semrush shows them as having 40 , 50 and 50 monthly searches although I am not sure if the photographer/photographers search numbers are seperate of whether the 50 is made up from 40 (of the photographer +10 of photographers) That is a really confusing sentence but i Know what i meant

so is that Top 5 for 140 monthly searches, 100 monthly searches or are they all combined and only 50 searches?
    Last edited by dwallis2012; Oct 5th, 2017 at 05:22 PM.
  19. Contributing User

btw that wasnt meant to sound argumentative !
    - I know

But not sure what you mean about your analytics being 'pretty good'. I treat SEO analyzers with a massive truck sized pinch of salt. You can score really highly but your website can perform abysmally.

- what is your bounce rate, what does your visitor flow look like, where are your exit pages, etc, etc, etc - will all tell you if your site is performing for people (not search engines).

Ranking #5 for a particular search that is carried out 50 times a month might mean 1 or 2 visitors - especially as that search fires adverts and a google map. And is it a useful phrase anyway (I know it sounds right but ... ). Run an Adwords campaign for a month targeting that keyword and measure how many conversions you get.

Yes - I think your site might be OK with a 27" screen but what about a 10" tablet, or a 15" laptop come to that.

Careful with analyzers, they are useful but need to be confirmed - Google says your page is 'mobile friendly' but have you actually opened it on a mobile device. On my Samsung Android the line height spacing is wrong and the text is ooh so small!

As a personal observation your photos are your strength (and your product) ... but you show them last

Have a look at this: https://www.urbancinematography.com/...ndon-uk-greece - easy to read, to the point, key product shown first, minimum waffle
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

- I know

But not sure what you mean about your analytics being 'pretty good'. I treat SEO analyzers with a massive truck sized pinch of salt. You can score really highly but your website can perform abysmally.

- what is your bounce rate, what does your visitor flow look like, where are your exit pages, etc, etc, etc - will all tell you if your site is performing for people (not search engines).

Ranking #5 for a particular search that is carried out 50 times a month might mean 1 or 2 visitors - especially as that search fires adverts and a google map. And is it a useful phrase anyway (I know it sounds right but ... ). Run an Adwords campaign for a month targeting that keyword and measure how many conversions you get.

Yes - I think your site might be OK with a 27" screen but what about a 10" tablet, or a 15" laptop come to that.

Careful with analyzers, they are useful but need to be confirmed - Google says your page is 'mobile friendly' but have you actually opened it on a mobile device. On my Samsung Android the line height spacing is wrong and the text is ooh so small!

As a personal observation your photos are your strength (and your product) ... but you show them last

Have a look at this: https://www.urbancinematography.com/...ndon-uk-greece - easy to read, to the point, key product shown first, minimum waffle

thanks i have taken a look

I noticed my browser was on +125% and also I have scaling on my monitor due to looking at 4k on 27" to make things readable which I didnt take into account.

I have "copied" his font sizes, mine are now 18px instead of 14px, I also changed my H1 size and font weight to match, put a photo at the same position and also moved some of
    my initial content just above the photo.

Obviously I have a ton more content on my home page though below there, I was under the impression more content was better for rankings, but having looked at some top
    ranking sites, they actually have little or no content on the landing page
  23. Contributing User

Only thing I would say is you can't put lipstick on a pig.

The photos are brilliant, but the site looks horrible and very old fashioned.

A site like this needs to be all about the images, that's your main selling point.

WordPress have some great visual themes that would look 100x better.

Ranking well means nothing if you haven't got a site that can consistently convert.

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees : Spot on!
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by IvanDrago
    Only thing I would say is you can't put lipstick on a pig.

The photos are brilliant, but the site looks horrible and very old fashioned.

A site like this needs to be all about the images, that's your main selling point.

WordPress have some great visual themes that would look 100x better.

Ranking well means nothing if you haven't got a site that can consistently convert.

Thanks I am in the process of putting lipstick and a full setup of makeup on this pig

I moved some content that wasnt relevant, added a few page dividers to make it easier to view and moved a few things around

I think its better than the previous version to look at, but before I spend too much polishing time, I can make it look
    amazing but without traffic to begin with it would all be pointless. So I will get it to a point where its easier to read and look at then I really
    do have to concentrate on the traffic issue.

The most traffic I can find for my area is Cheshire wedding photographer / photographers etc but I shyed away from
    these keywords too much as the competition for them is just insane.

I did go to a uK seo company (screaming frog) but they wanted 2000 a month which is more than my business actually makes right now
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

btw im editing the site in notepad, so I can pretty much change the layout to whatever I like, I have the columns thing pretty much nailed (one full width for top) then one 2 column sections then a couple of 3 column sections

I have the problem of page size really i would LOVE to make a page full of images, even lazy loading them all though doesnt always seem the best
  29. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

btw im editing the site in notepad, so I can pretty much change the layout to whatever I like, I have the columns thing pretty much nailed (one full width for top) then one 2 column sections then a couple of 3 column sections

I have the problem of page size really i would LOVE to make a page full of images, even lazy loading them all though doesnt always seem the best
    You really need a good editor... using notepad is as bad as using MS Word. Quit working with sticks and stones. If money is a problem try the following....