1. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

This is a riot:

...they score just 9/100 so scratching my head how they are hanging on to number 1 spot.

This is why I don't put much effort into Page Speed, though I would still expect such a low score to have some kind of penalty. But I did a speed test earlier with three sites. I raised Google Page Speed on all the sites (the lowest site had a 35) into the 80s and 90s, and there were no improvements in ranking.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

ive seen quite a few examples where putting the search term as your domain name does actually give you a huge boost. I suspect thats help that particular site rank so well for that keyword
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by dwallis2012
    I actually held position number 2 in google for "warrington photography" which had about 200 searches per month but
    stupidly I made a few changes and resubmitted my sitemap to google and instantly went to the bottom of page 2 and havnt yet managed to
    recover anywhere near that position
    I have been tracking your search results for a few days.... I was waiting to see you fix the rendering problems with your site....You did and I checked your rankings, and you are recovering ! Seems your rendering issues were apparently a goodly portion of your issues.

Here are your current rankings for some of your keywords, especially the "warrington photography" keyword. BTW a lot of keywords I tracked are the Title text of your Links on the home page and some are the actual link text as seen on the page.
    Here is how the columns are laid out so you understand the image.
    Bing UK Mobile / diff Yahoo Uk / diff Yahoo uk mobile / diff Bing UK / diff You can read the Google columns as are...

Here is the Google.co.uk SERP.... There is one listing just above the Map Pak... and you guested it.. It's your competition.....
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    I have been tracking your search results for a few days.... I was waiting to see you fix the rendering problems with your site....You did and I checked your rankings, and you are recovering ! Seems your rendering issues were apparently a goodly portion of your issues.

Here are your current rankings for some of your keywords, especially the "warrington photography" keyword. BTW a lot of keywords I tracked are the Title text of your Links on the home page and some are the actual link text as seen on the page.
    Here is how the columns are laid out so you understand the image.
    Bing UK Mobile / diff Yahoo Uk / diff Yahoo uk mobile / diff Bing UK / diff You can read the Google columns as are...

Here is the Google.co.uk SERP.... There is one listing just above the Map Pak... and you guested it.. It's your competition.....

thanks it looks like I am back on the right track but I do have a ton of work to do, maybe possibly get a content writer to rewrite my homepage so its less spammy

Im still confused how a site with little to no SEo that scores so badly can dominate position #1 !
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by dwallis2012
    thanks it looks like I am back on the right track but I do have a ton of work to do, maybe possibly get a content writer to rewrite my homepage so its less spammy

Im still confused how a site with little to no SEo that scores so badly can dominate position #1 !
    Thats simple... they have a pretty good backlink profile... about 300 do follow links .. where as you have only about 10 do follow links...

Now that you have identified your problems, you should do a backlink check and gets some links from some of the same sites if possible.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    Thats simple... they have a pretty good backlink profile... about 300 do follow links .. where as you have only about 10 do follow links...

Now that you have identified your problems, you should do a backlink check and gets some links from some of the same sites if possible.

thanks for your help I will finish optimizing the site and get it how I want it before starting the backlinks again

I am actually away for a week in Italy starting tomorrow as I will be photographing a wedding down in Lake Garda so "hopefully" I will find a high DA wedding blog
    site that would like to feature the wedding

I have been doing quite a bit of networking with high DA bloggers and have already got a few links from those so
    will keep following that strategy, I am guessing a lot of those 300 do follow links are from low quality sites?

I can see their
    PA/DA is only 34 / 24 and mine is 35/22 so although they have many more links mine do appear to be of much higher quality

i actually have 43 follow links according to semrush and 29 no follow from 28 domains
    Last edited by dwallis2012; Sep 7th, 2017 at 07:42 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture

I believe there was some change in Google algo in past 30 days or so. My site faced huge drop too
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Dwallis2012,

Last I looked at your site you had NO quality content. Links will not help you if you don't have relevant content.

Please read this interview with Google's Gary Illyes...

5 Sep 17: Google: We Ignore Tons Of Links But Which Links Is Almost Impossible To Figure Out

Quote:
    "...it is "close to impossible for you to check which links are actually deemed critical." So why bother trying to figure out which links are important and which links are not if there is no way for you to do so?"

"Gary then added that Google "ignores tons of links" and that even if you collect data from Google Search Console and third-party tools " that you won't know which ones are absolutely critical."'

If the SEO tool vendors don't know what links are used in G's algo, how can they project any accurate correlation between a page's ranking and their PA/DA numbers?

I suggest folk stop relying on SEO tools that spit out DA and PA numbers. IMHO, they can't tell you what links G uses in its ranking algo, let alone what their values may be.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic : Links will not help you?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Sep 20th, 2017 at 03:14 AM.
  17. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Links will not help you if you don't have relevant content.
    This website has no (or very little) relevant content yet it ranks #1 for wind map.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Dwallis2012,

1. What is the most important ranking factor?
    It is the level of competition for the first page of ranking results.

Simplistically, the more pages that qualify for a search query, the higher the ranking point score needed to list top 10.

Example Searches:
    • "wedding photographer" = 61.3 million pages
    • "wind map" = 374k pages

A crude measure I know, but you would need something like 160 times the ranking points to list top of a search for "wedding photographer" than for "wind map", unless other factors came into play.

"Wind map" is such a low level competition search query that you could spit with a tail wind and have some expectation of a top 10 ranking place.

But, you are not targeting the exact search query, "wedding photographer" - G won't let you.

2. Google's Algo is now Dynamic
    The components of G's algo that come into play will change depending on G's understanding of the searcher's intent.

With a "wedding photographer" search G now decides that the searcher wants this service located in the same city, town suburb as them, even when no location word is used in the search query.

Example:
    • "wedding photographer" = When I use my G country search engine, all my top 10 results are located in the same country as me and seven are from the same city.
    • "wind map" = G. can't understand the search intent behind this query so it gives a top 10 selection of results based on its "Searches related to 'wind map' queries."

If I search for "wedding photographers" on G.co.uk, I get totally different top 10 results to a G search in my country but the pattern is the same, all top 10 are UK photographers.

You need to know what ranking parameters G. sets in play for your search terms before you can devise your optimum SEO strategy. IMHO, any SEO advice to the contrary is about 2 years out of date.

3. Why are You Messing About with Links?
    There are only 83k pages that match a G. search for "wedding photographer Warrington". You should not even need the assistance of a tail wind to spit close to the top of this search query.

Another clue; Warrington, UK only has a population of 202k you should not need any links to rank near top for heaps of relevant "Warrington" search queries.

Please pose these questions to anyone who claims you need to build more links:

• Which link will be counted by G in relevant search queries and how will you measure them?
    • How will you know which links will be seen by G as "critical" links and how will you measure them?
    • How many of these "critical" links will you need? How stable will they be?
    • What will be the most productive use of the SEO time to improve generic SE referrals?

If they start quoting SEO tool DA and PA numbers at you, refer them to the Gary Illyes quote from the above article:

"...even if you collect data from... third-party tools ... you won't know which ones are absolutely critical."'

The tool vendors don't even know what links G recognises these days. I can find when they last updated their link data bases but I can't find when they last calibrated their DA/PA algo with ranking results. That means we don't even know if there is an accidental correlation of their PA/DA numbers these days.

Why mess about with time consuming, unmeasurable link building SEO tactics when:

• G says you will have trouble assessing the results of your efforts?
    • You should not need to waste your time on this tactic?

Be very wary of our instant and incomplete SEO advice in forums like this. Treat it as your start point for further investigation of the process.

PS. I had another look at your site, as I see it your primary SEO problem is still your site's poor content quality and lack of targeting the widest range of relevant search queries.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Sep 21st, 2017 at 04:43 AM.
  21. Digital Marketing

wind map" = 374k pages "Wind map" is such a low level competition search query that you could spit with a tail wind and have some expectation of a top 10 ranking place.
    That single page with very little content ranks #6 for "wind". Is that low level competition?
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Sep 22nd, 2017 at 08:39 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Dwallis2012,

1. What is the most important ranking factor?
    It is the level of competition for the first page of ranking results.

Simplistically, the more pages that qualify for a search query, the higher the ranking point score needed to list top 10.

Example Searches:
    • "wedding photographer" = 61.3 million pages
    • "wind map" = 374k pages

A crude measure I know, but you would need something like 160 times the ranking points to list top of a search for "wedding photographer" than for "wind map", unless other factors came into play.

"Wind map" is such a low level competition search query that you could spit with a tail wind and have some expectation of a top 10 ranking place.

But, you are not targeting the exact search query, "wedding photographer" - G won't let you.

2. Google's Algo is now Dynamic
    The components of G's algo that come into play will change depending on G's understanding of the searcher's intent.

With a "wedding photographer" search G now decides that the searcher wants this service located in the same city, town suburb as them, even when no location word is used in the search query.

Example:
    • "wedding photographer" = When I use my G country search engine, all my top 10 results are located in the same country as me and seven are from the same city.
    • "wind map" = G. can't understand the search intent behind this query so it gives a top 10 selection of results based on its "Searches related to 'wind map' queries."

If I search for "wedding photographers" on G.co.uk, I get totally different top 10 results to a G search in my country but the pattern is the same, all top 10 are UK photographers.

You need to know what ranking parameters G. sets in play for your search terms before you can devise your optimum SEO strategy. IMHO, any SEO advice to the contrary is about 2 years out of date.

3. Why are You Messing About with Links?
    There are only 83k pages that match a G. search for "wedding photographer Warrington". You should not even need the assistance of a tail wind to spit close to the top of this search query.

Another clue; Warrington, UK only has a population of 202k you should not need any links to rank near top for heaps of relevant "Warrington" search queries.

Please pose these questions to anyone who claims you need to build more links:

• Which link will be counted by G in relevant search queries and how will you measure them?
    • How will you know which links will be seen by G as "critical" links and how will you measure them?
    • How many of these "critical" links will you need? How stable will they be?
    • What will be the most productive use of the SEO time to improve generic SE referrals?

If they start quoting SEO tool DA and PA numbers at you, refer them to the Gary Illyes quote from the above article:

"...even if you collect data from... third-party tools ... you won't know which ones are absolutely critical."'

The tool vendors don't even know what links G recognises these days. I can find when they last updated their link data bases but I can't find when they last calibrated their DA/PA algo with ranking results. That means we don't even know if there is an accidental correlation of their PA/DA numbers these days.

Why mess about with time consuming, unmeasurable link building SEO tactics when:

• G says you will have trouble assessing the results of your efforts?
    • You should not need to waste your time on this tactic?

Be very wary of our instant and incomplete SEO advice in forums like this. Treat it as your start point for further investigation of the process.

PS. I had another look at your site, as I see it your primary SEO problem is still your site's poor content quality and lack of targeting the widest range of relevant search queries.

Thanks everyone you have given me lots to think about. I will be changing the website in the future making sure to use much better content

I have just returned from the most amazing wedding in Lake Garda Italy, this is one wedding I NEED to get to page 1 of google. I already know a few good
    content writers/bloggers who I have asked to write an article for me of around 2000 - 2500 words

These are the keywords I have just pulled from google keyword planner which are relevant to me:

lake garda wedding venues

sirmione lake garda

sirmione italy

lake garda weddings

romantic weddings on lake garda

lake garda weddings costs

villa cortine lake garda

wedding venues in italy lakes

villa cortine

lake garda photographer

lake garda

italian wedding

weddings abroad

wedding pictures

Italy wedding venues

getting married in italy

italy wedding packages

destination weddings

european wedding

wedding in italy cost

marriage in italy

wedding in verona

weddings abroad italy

small weddings in italy

elope in italy

italian weddings on a budget

where to get married in italy

lake garda italy weddings

small wedding venues in italy

small intimate weddings in italy

best places to get married in italy

italy wedding photographer

villa cortine palace hotel

palace hotel lake garda

I have checked Semrush keyword difficulty tool, and this one looks like a winner for my article?

lake garda weddings

difficulty - 58.83 searches - 880 pages - 374,000

Only 374k pages and lots of traffic so this is the keyword I will be paying most attention to, but will also try to include as many
    of those other keywords as possible which are relevant (is this the correct strategy??? or should I choose a smaller selection
    of keywords?)

I will rework on the article page too, possibly clone the layout from my Statham Lodge wedding page since this is one of my highest
    ranking pages, currently sitting number 7 in google search and make more relelvant alt tags etc

It will also be less spammy since I will get a proper content writer to do it rather than half a$$ing it myself!

Happy to take any advice on making this page as awesome as possible before it goes live

also would I get penalized for the following url structure? /destination-weddings/lake-garda-weddings

not sure if that gets classed as spam, or does google prefer /destinationweddings/lakegardaweddings

Not sure if this applies to file names too is lake-garda-weddings.jpg or lakegardaweddings.jpg the prefered format?
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    That single page with very little content ranks #6 for "wind". Is that low level competition?
    No, its initially driven by Google's dynamic algorithm kicking in.

It is also the reason why your example G.com result page does not rank in the top 100 on Google UK, Canada, Australia and the rest.

Please read the post before you criticise it. If you don't understand it just ask for clarification.

As I said above:

"wind map" = G. can't understand the search intent behind this query so it gives a top 10 selection of results based on its "Searches related to 'wind map' queries."

Those "searches related to" suggestions are different for every Google country SE, hence the very different results displayed around the world.

The same dynamic algo process happens if you search for, "wind".

This dynamic algo component has been operating for over 2 years now. I believe G calls it RankBrain. In early 2016 G's Andrey Lipattsev said it was one of the three most important elements in modifying/displaying search results.

Anyone offering SEO services needs to be on top this as it can have a major impact on SEO tactics for different types of searches.

The relevance to this poster is that G won't display search results just based on the ranking of pages for the term, "wedding photographer". It will include searcher and website location as primary ranking factors. He needs to provide G with a lot more ranking signals related to location. In so doing, he would be dramatically reducing the volume of competing pages and the difficulty of ranking top of the results.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Dwallis2012,
    You don't seem to have grasped the basics of targeting potential clients in generic search.

SEs do not rank exact search queries, they rank how the individual words are used on pages and on those that link to them. The exact word sequence usually has little impact on a page's ranking.

In fact, if you compare G.UK search results for "wedding photographer Warrington" with the same search query without quotes you will find none of the "unquoted" top 10 pages actually contain the exact search phrase.

Your first SEO task is to decide what should be the primary search words for your target audience. From what we understand so far, these are likely to be:

• Wedding
    • Photographer(s)
    • Warrington (and other nearby towns?)

You want to build the use of these words into every page of your website. I am not talking about writing spammy text. It is a combination of lots of details that will come together to multiply the ranking point score for each primary word.

Egs: These should be used appropriately in...

• your site-wide navigation link text
    • the URL structure of your pages
    • your page titles
    • page breadcrumbs
    • image alt tags
    • page headlines
    • cross linking text

At present you do absolutely none of this.

Then you tell us you want to target the search query: lake garda weddings

• First, there is no indication that any of these searchers are about to be married. They could be searching for pics of some recent celebrity wedding.
    • There is no indication they want the services of a photographer. They could be looking for venues, planners, celebrants, etc.
    • There is no indication they want a Warrington, UK based photographer.
    • This query only uses one of your 3 primary search words

If you do try to target "lake garda weddings" it is likely to drop your current site pages down the rankings for your prime search words.

BTW, Have you looked at the G.UK search results for this query? If you are going to target this, you will need to kick one of the current incumbents out of the list. Try researching these questions for each current top 10 page:

• Use of search words in domain name
    • Location of the business
    • Size of the website
    • How many site pages include "lake" or "Garda".

You will find you can't match any of these site/business attributes.

IMHO, throw away the SEM Rush software until you know how to use it. It looks like it is directing you into blind and irrelevant alleys. SEM Rush difficulty scores are meaningless if you can't use many of the important ranking signals that your competitors can.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your SEO problems and lack of knowledge are such that a few broad SEO tips in a forum environment are more likely to be misleading than helpful.

Find yourself a good UK SEO who offers training. Be very careful, most of these services are also likely to be garbage.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Sep 25th, 2017 at 07:50 AM.
  29. Digital Marketing

The same dynamic algo process happens if you search for, "wind".

This dynamic algo component has been operating for over 2 years now. I believe G calls it RankBrain. In early 2016 G's Andrey Lipattsev said it was one of the three most important elements in modifying/displaying search results.
    Erm, no, it's not because Google is confused by the query after an update in 2016. I have been using that website as an example of the power of links for a lot longer than that.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Sep 25th, 2017 at 04:13 PM.