Thread: html vs php

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

html vs php

traditionaly i've done all my pages in php either from scratch tailored to my particular purposes or in a customized cms system.. i've been reading over and over about how these simple static html pages seem to be ranking highly and are great for SEO so i wanted to try making my next site with static html pages..

i'm very torn about wanting to use some of the dynamic aspects of a php site to build some of the data and content from a database but its going against my idea of a simple html site..

i'm wondering if it makes much of a difference to do straight html like file1.html file2.html etc.. or if a index.php?mode=file1 type system is more difficult for site promotion and indexing purposes..

what do you typically do for creating the best results?

i guess i could go with file1.php file2.php file3.php etc.. and limit my use of php to strictly building data inside of the page..

any oppinions would be great..
    -tom

3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

On large business sites driven by backend databases, PHP, JSP, ASP, and other dynamic solutions work best. Google might not like them as well as straight HTML, but a lot of these businesses (Fortune 500s in particular) do not need to rely on Google for people to find them, they have plenty of name recognition on their own, and people just go straight to their sites.

However, with small shops this might be a different story. I did a small database driven antique dinnerware site for a relative of mine, but I choose to generate static HTML as the output for two reasons:
    1. Saves the cost of getting a web hosting account with a database
    2. Google seems to like it better
    After a few rounds of SEO tweaking and link building, the site ranks in the top 3 for 90% of it's keywords. I like to think that the SEO played the biggest part in this, but I am sure the static pages helped the site get spidered more efficiently.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i appreciate the quick feedback..

i'm just really torn.. i really want the ability of using includes to only have to modify things in one place such as menus and banners .. and just generate the content in 'page1.php' 'page2.php' etc..

i realize it will look the same in html reguardless.. but i wonder if the fact alone of having .php at the end instead of .html will count against me even a little.. i'm needing all the little boosts i can get
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

It won't count against you.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just use php driven sites then rewrite the url's with mod_rewrite. I did this with my message forum sites and even have it inject keywords into the url's. Check out http://www.webdeveloperscentral.com/...your-html.html

Notice the url changes?
  11. Contributing User

Smile

Exact same topic I was about to start here. "juice" Nice!!! you started.

traditionaly i've done all my pages in php either from scratch tailored to my particular purposes or in a customized cms system.. i've been reading over and over about how these simple static html pages seem to be ranking highly and are great for SEO so i wanted to try making my next site with static html pages..

i'm very torn about wanting to use some of the dynamic aspects of a php site to build some of the data and content from a database but its going against my idea of a simple html site..

i'm wondering if it makes much of a difference to do straight html like file1.html file2.html etc.. or if a index.php?mode=file1 type system is more difficult for site promotion and indexing purposes..

what do you typically do for creating the best results?

i guess i could go with file1.php file2.php file3.php etc.. and limit my use of php to strictly building data inside of the page..

any oppinions would be great..
  13. modulator

Juice, if you are comfortable writing in php, why not just parse the html files as php? Or what 1EightT suggested would work well too.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yeah I just parse .html files through php whenever I do a site. Simple mime type or apache handler change.

But either way I don't think Googles are any other search engine distinguishes or cares about .html .htm .php .php3 .asp .cfm .pl .cgi.. it's the dynamic links that seem to piss them off.. eg. .php?$session=213421512345345
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Transient
    But either way I don't think Googles are any other search engine distinguishes or cares about .html .htm .php .php3 .asp .cfm .pl .cgi.. it's the dynamic links that seem to piss them off.. eg. .php?$session=213421512345345
    Right. When I think of people using PHP, I automatically assume they will be passing dynamic urls, but I forget that you could also use it to add some dynamic content like news headlines without dynamic urls. If you are not doing a lot of complicated parameter passing that will result in long ugly URLs, then don't worry about it and just use PHP.
  19. Canine

Another approach worth mentioning is to write a program to generate HTML from a database and create HTML files prior to upoading. This is not ideal for highly dynamic content, but it can be a solution in some cases, compared to the overhead of setting up a database on the web server, or performance issues related to generating dynamic content.

The mod_rewrite option is probably the next best approach if you do have to generate dynamic content and your web server supports it.
  21. search engine voyeur

I have a function on one of our sites, that allows a more descriptive url (ie product.php/monitors/tft/code/5585 to be passed through. This has had a very positive affect on SERP performance.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

using PHP won't count against you as long as you don't have too many variables appended to the URL.

In fact, i think using PHP/JSP/ASP is actually better for you to help manage especially if you need to make a change to the footer, header or nav bar.
  25. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

There seems to be much mis understanding of how a search engine interprets the html or php pages. If there is a php page in the index - ie if it has been cached and shows up any where on the Google search engine then there is no problem. Php is a dynamic scripting language that helps out put html with dynamic changing content. If a page is written in HTML and displays the smae out put as a PHP page there is NO difference at all! It is true however, as mentioned that long dynamic URLs cause a problem, although this seems to be less and less of a problem. If you are using just one variable you are fine.

It is good practive to re write to a sensible and SEO friendly URL though by using mod_rewrite ie instead of
    domain.com/page.php?prodcut=22 go fo domain.com/product-name.php (or .html if you want) as this will help with SERPs.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Comments on this post

• Accsys agrees : the end result on the source code that the browser/bot sees is the same but I would certainly use an SEO friendly URL rather than passing a parameter to it.
  27. No Profile Picture

i think php is better than html