Thread: hreflang issue?

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

hreflang issue?

I am working on a site that is translated into multiple languages. The translations are located under different directories after the root, (website.com/us/en.html, website.com/sg/en.html, website.com/mx/es.html, etc.). Please note that all pages are almost exaclty the same content just translated for the specific region. We have a site specific to India, Singapore and US. These sites are all in English with exact same content.

There is one page where I am ranking very well for some high volume keywords with the /us/en site. However, on April 22, the traffic dropped dramatically for this page. The page got pushed to page 2 of the SERPs. I noited on the very same day the Singapore English version of the same page, /sg/en, moved up in page rank and volume. It looks like these two pages swapped positions because the overall organic site traffic did not change.

What would cause this to happen? I have canonical tags on every page as well as hreflang referencing every page. Search console does not report on any errors for my hreflang so I'm a little confused why this happened.

Any insight, thoughts, ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Last edited by bandaid; Jun 19th, 2018 at 01:21 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Hi bandaid welcome to the issues of duplicate content.

The way I understand your question is this...

These two pages are identical in content

/us/en/page and /sg/en/page

These two pages have swapped rank positions and views.

From this description I see your issue as follows...

The short simple version...
    Google has identified both your us site and the singopore site as owned by the entity. Google is see-sawing your sites with each other.
    This will continue to happen as long as the pages are identical. Change the content on one or the other to eliminate this behavior.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you @KnowOneSpecial! I will try to make some subtle changes and see if that has an effect.

I'm looking through the new Google Search Console (GSC) Index Coverage report and I have a few pages with the error of "Submitted URL not selected as canonical." Do you think this is the same issue? I've segmented my GSC based on country file directory to see if it will provide better insight. When looking at just the /us/en site (the site that is most popular for my domain) I have a couple of these pages listed as not selected as canonical. Do you think Google is selecting a page in the other country file directories because of the exact same content just targeting a different country?

Thanks again for your insight!
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Hey, would you mind pming me your site/example urls, it would be good to see the code to see if you've made any errors.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I suspect the "/sg/en" page that moved up in page rank over the "us/en" page has an incorrect canonical tag or has no canonical tag at all.

As long as you declare the US equivalent as the canonical page on all its duplicate versions, then Google will ignore all the duplicates and acknowledge only the canonical page when ranking.