#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    22

    Question HREFLANG and different GSC property for every language


    According to this article https://www.searchviu.com/en/hreflan...ntation-guide/,
    it's suggested to create a Google Search Console property for every language or country version of your website.

    So, this means different properties for every /de/, /fr/ etc subdirectory

    I wonder how this is going to affect the previous history of our website.
    Suddenly all our Impressions and Clicks will be split among different properties, which complicates things.

    Do you really think that there are more benefits of doing this that worth the trouble?
  2. #2
  3. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,745
    Rep Power
    1754
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    22
    My question is specifically about the Google Search Console implementation and not about the setup of the hreflang.
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,139
    Rep Power
    3691
    Originally Posted by rastaviper
    So, this means different properties for every /de/, /fr/ etc subdirectory


    I wonder how this is going to affect the previous history of our website.
    Suddenly all our Impressions and Clicks will be split among different properties, which complicates things.
    Yep, a lot of properties and it seems overwhelming doesn't it. Hey, don't fret over it. There is an extremely easy solution for this.

    It's called a "PROPERTY SET" and you can find it in your Google Search Console. Below is a link to an article, (click the image), from Search Engine Land, read it !

    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    22
    Thanks mate, but this is not valid any more.

    https://searchengineland.com/google-...console-313047
  10. #6
  11. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,745
    Rep Power
    1754
    Did you read the whole content of your referral URL, see last sentence of this post
    "It is unclear what is coming to replace property sets."
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,139
    Rep Power
    3691
    Hmmm we seem to be in disagreement here....to me the only stipulation is you can not mix http and https protocols.

    (Edited to add : You are correct Google did remove that exact interface, but it has been replaced )

    I do believe that you still can, have you even examined your search console ? You may have seen this ......

    Comments on this post

    • tstolber agrees
    • Prof.stan agrees
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Apr 17th, 2019 at 07:06 AM.
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    22
    Yes I have checked GSC before posting here.
    So, I know what are the available options and the one related to adding separate properties is the "Url prefix" type.

    But what do you mean that Google has replaced it?
    Replaced what. There is no Property Set anymore.

    And coming back to my original post.
    Does this whole operation of adding new properties and then monitoring all those different panels worth the trouble?
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,139
    Rep Power
    3691
    I am sorry if you don't understand the screenshot from within one of the GSC accounts I monitor. Gives explicit instructions on how to combine properties:

    somedomain.com
    somedomian.com/fr/
    somedomain.com/ru/

    Well if you are not monitoring in some form or fashion your traffic, what queries you're appearing for, your position you're appearing at, then you are losing out. Also you have no idea of where your problems are and how to address them to increase ROI.

    Maybe you need to hire a freelancer / agency to do this for you, no offense.

    Edited to add:
    Google no longer uses the term "Property Sets" they just use term "Properties", does that clear the confusion ?
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Apr 18th, 2019 at 12:33 PM.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    22
    I think we have some problem of communication mate.
    If you are a native American, then maybe my non-native English are not working well for you. If you are not an American, then maybe the problem is somewhere else.

    1) Where exactly did I say that I don't monitor my queries, position, traffic etc ?? Also, no offense taken, but you really should be more careful about your suggestions to members here in the forum that they are quite active. I never showed through my posts that I have no knowledge of covering these tasks. And my question was quite simple: does the split and monitoring of different properties worth the trouble instead of monitoring just one property (just the main domain) ?
    2) I didn't write anywhere that I don't understand your screenshot. I have already mentioned that I know what are these options and in fact I have seen them even before you have posted that screenshot. Again, it's you that probably you don't understand my question. So I will repeat it for you: "where exactly is Google providing info for combining the views of different properties? So far you have only put a screenshot about how to create different properties." So, you still can't justify your argument that Google has replaced that function.
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,139
    Rep Power
    3691
    I am a native born American, but I am not an American Native Indian. There is a difference. An American Indian would take great offense if I were to claim to be one. Just to be completely clear so you do not misunderstand. I was born and grew up in America, speak Southern English, went to my state's university, etc., etc.. I try hard in the public and when talking with people using voice communications to use a Midwestern Accent to avoid the Southern Drawl that is readily apparent when talking with someone from the South which can be hard to understand.

    Yes, it is most likely a language barrier.

    Originally Posted by rastaviper
    1) Where exactly did I say that I don't monitor my queries, position, traffic etc ??
    You actually didn't say that explicitly. What you did say is this:
    Originally Posted by rastaviper
    Does this whole operation of adding new properties and then monitoring all those different panels worth the trouble?
    My response was:
    Originally Posted by KOS
    Well if you are not monitoring in some form or fashion your traffic, what queries you're appearing for, your position you're appearing at, then you are losing out. Also you have no idea of where your problems are and how to address them to increase ROI.
    This does not assume you don't monitor these data points, I just simply stated "IF YOU"RE NOT" then you should be.
    The way you constructed your post as I interpreted it implies : "I really don't see the benefit of tracking this data". If people don't see the benefit of doing or performing this work, they generally will not do it, because they don't understand the benefits. It is just that simple and I will get to that point shortly.

    Then you stated:
    Originally Posted by rastaviper
    But what do you mean that Google has replaced it?
    Replaced what. There is no Property Set anymore.
    The word "Replaced" has two very distinct meaning. I am only interested in one at the moment for the purpose of this post and that is.

    re·place
    /rəˈplās/

    verb
    past tense: replaced; past participle: replaced
    1. take the place of.
    "Ian's smile was replaced by a frown"
    Google has replaced the term "Property Sets" with "Properties" and removed some functionality that was previously available. So I just made the assumption that you understood the replaced usage of the term "Property Sets" with "Properties" and how Google changed the functionality of the product offering.
    I apologize for assuming that you understood this.

    Now to address your last few points:
    Originally Posted by rastaviper
    So I will repeat it for you: "where exactly is Google providing info for combining the views of different properties? So far you have only put a screenshot about how to create different properties." So, you still can't justify your argument that Google has replaced that function.
    It is not so much the ability to combine the views, in as much as it is "letting you extract a particular segment" from the overall view.
    Put another way, It isn't combining "Many Properties to make one". It is extracting many properties from one property. This let's you get as granular as needed to make marketing decisions.

    First let's create some properties as an exercise.
    One for the "French" sub folder of your site and one for your "Russian" sub folder of your site and of course you have already created the property for the main site.

    If you look at the previous screenshot, it provides the ability to create multiple properties for segmented viewing of the site.
    Now you have 3 distinct "Properties", I think it is a safe assumption you understand me.

    Now you are wondering how are you going to track this in the most expedient fashion. Google provides you the ability to view the "French" and "Russian" properties either separately or combined with the whole site. Now what does this mean in reality ? It means you can look at the 3 properties as a whole and since they are 'the same site" it would make sense to do so, in most cases.

    Now let us imagine the following scenario:
    Your sales force, reports that "We have noticed that we are receiving fewer inquiries from "France".

    Now does it make sense to look at the property for the site as a whole or would you now be more interested in what the metrics are for only the "French" portion of your site ? Do you understand the meaning here ?
    Now you can track just the performance of your "French sub folder" and pages to find where the problem make be.

    Here is another screenshot of the "Help Section" Google provides to explain it's usage. Also I think perfectly explains the "Concept"



    Did I just justify my argument ? Seems to me I have, but you are entitled to your opinion.

    It is not my job to teach you how to use Google's free tools to track your site. I participate here because I think and feel I can benefit folks with my knowledge in SEO. I take great pains in trying not to offend anyone, but because of the language barrier it happens that some take offense as in your case.

    This is an English speaking forum, so I will say this:
    The language barrier is partly your fault and partly mine. Yours for not being able to write fluently in my language without conveying an incorrect meaning, also not understanding my meaning. Then partly mine because I have incorrectly understood your meaning and because you have a better than average command of the language I assumed you understood my intent.

    Bottom line:
    Do you now understand why you would create said properties and why they would be of value to you down the road ?

    I hope so.

    Comments on this post

    • Prof.stan agrees
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Apr 19th, 2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Clarity and readability
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    22
    Nevertheless thank you for your time to explain everything so thoroughly.
    Not many people would dedicate so much effort for covering so many details.

    Comments on this post

    • Prof.stan agrees : Kos is different than others

Similar Threads

  1. Hreflang Tag
    By syreshven in forum New User SEO Questions and Answers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jan 24th, 2018, 05:50 AM
  2. hreflang for urls with different language parameters
    By talyaull in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul 18th, 2017, 12:42 PM
  3. Multi-language site should use subdomain or subfolder to separate each language?
    By beebac in forum New User SEO Questions and Answers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul 3rd, 2014, 02:20 PM
  4. Language variations, default language, etc.
    By darkangel in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 25th, 2013, 03:25 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov 29th, 2012, 02:37 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo