1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How well do Press Releases help rank/back links?

I'm wondering how good press releases are that a company writes about itself as far as seo and backlinks are concerned? Services such as PR Newswire will get your release and links on thousands of news sites, including Forbes, NBC, CNN, etc. how does google see these backlinks?
  3. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

*if* you have a story that's actually newsworthy and gets pproperly picked up by real journalists then a press release can gain you a lot of very good links very quickly.

But it has to be a good story or have a unique angle otherwise you'll mainly just get picked up by the auto-republishers which provide much less value.

Personally I find PR newswire a bit pricey in general, in the UK Sourcewire provides much better value for an average story.

Comments on this post

• GraceFan agrees : *if*
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by channel5
    *if* you have a story that's actually newsworthy and gets pproperly picked up by real journalists then a press release can gain you a lot of very good links very quickly.

But it has to be a good story or have a unique angle otherwise you'll mainly just get picked up by the auto-republishers which provide much less value.

Personally I find PR newswire a bit pricey in general, in the UK Sourcewire provides much better value for an average story.
    How well will google see those links if you are not written about but your press release is just auto published? The same exact press release on thousands of sites? If you spend $800 on a press release will google see it as mostly spam or will it be quality backlinks?
  7. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by jeffmartini13
    If you spend $800 on a press release will google see it as mostly spam or will it be quality backlinks?
    That's why I say you need a really good story to get $800 worth, which is why I personally think PR Newswire is too expensive for the value it gives run of the mill stories.

There are other PR outlets that charge much less and for $50 get you much similar links for basic stories.
  9. <=NaomiFan too!
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by channel5
    That's why I say you need a really good story to get $800 worth
    100% agree, the 'automatic' links from the actual Press Release are going to be low/no real value.

An authentically 'newsworthy' story can EASILY be lost on a 'Free Press Release' site, but the other side is that a mediocre story would EASILY waste pretty much all of your $800 on an expensive PR/news site.
  11. No Profile Picture

The press release can be a very important tool for promoting one's website. There are numerous clips on utube that cover what are the important bits of info that should be included in an SEO press release...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm wondering how good press releases are that a company writes about itself as far as seo and backlinks are concerned? Services such as PR Newswire will get your release and links on thousands of news sites, including Forbes, NBC, CNN, etc. how does google see these backlinks?
    If your Press Release content is very good (unique) and informative than you got very good backlinks as well as very good traffic also. The Google also give the higher preference to PR sites in compare to other site.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Press Releases have some value. They are a really good way to own your brand and push down links that you don't want to show up page 1 when searching for that brand.
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

here....read and see how HubSpot thinks...

http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/4789/Study-Shows-Social-Media-Releases-Are-Less-Effective-Than-Traditional-Press-Releases.aspx

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

19. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

This questions has been talked about at length, use the search function please.

Press Releases are for the PRESS, not to generate backlinks. It may provide a short term boost, but remember, the instant your news hits 'print' it's yesterday's news. Yesterday's news becomes a quickly buried backlink.
  21. Contributing User

I'll probably get moaned at here for being a little off-topic but I agree with distinctseo in that:

Originally Posted by distinctseo
    Press Releases are for the PRESS, not to generate backlinks
    Press releases should be used for brand awareness not for specifically generating backlinks. If you are promoting your organisation then surely you want to portray a positive company image therefore all of your press releases should be of a high quality and newsworthy otherwise it will be relatively useless.

Press releases (like a lot of online material) can be picked up by alternate sources (i.e other press release website etc) and re-published on their websites if newsworthy (and even if not in some cases!!) which can increase backlink exposure however you should bear in mind that each backlink would be wrapped within the same copy there search engine may limit the authority of each link because of duplicate copy, even though it resides on a separate domain. This is open to debate I guess!

My advice: promote your brand via PR rather than using it primarily as a link building tool.

Chris
    Last edited by chrisains; Sep 7th, 2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo!!!