1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to ask google to stop showing my site for some keywords

I have a page of "payment methods" so there is a method provided by local bank to pay by. Google is showing my site high when someone searches with keyword for that payment method. I do not want google to show my site in search results for that keyword. How can i ask google to not show my site for that keywords.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by raiahsan
    I have a page of "payment methods" so there is a method provided by local bank to pay by. Google is showing my site high when someone searches with keyword for that payment method. I do not want google to show my site in search results for that keyword. How can i ask google to not show my site for that keywords.
    you would need to add robot.txt for the mentioned pages. this would prompt google not to index those pages. In this way those pages would be deindexed and removed from search result. This process might take some time to reflect in search result.
    Last edited by grgmathew; Nov 9th, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks. Will you please elaborate me that what command to write in robot.txt file and after which line?
    Is there any bad effect to deindex some of your pages while there are already only six pages in my site?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by raiahsan
    Thanks. Will you please elaborate me that what command to write in robot.txt file and after which line?
    Is there any bad effect to deindex some of your pages while there are already only six pages in my site?
    It works likes this: a robot wants to vists a Web site URL, say http://www.example.com/welcome.html. Before it does so, it firsts checks for http://www.example.com/robots.txt, and finds:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /
    The "User-agent: *" means this section applies to all robots. The "Disallow: /" tells the robot that it should not visit any pages on the site.

There are two important considerations when using /robots.txt:

robots can ignore your /robots.txt. Especially malware robots that scan the web for security vulnerabilities, and email address harvesters used by spammers will pay no attention.
    the /robots.txt file is a publicly available file. Anyone can see what sections of your server you don't want robots to use.

So don't try to use /robots.txt to hide information.
    The /robots.txt is a de-facto standard, and is not owned by any standards body. There are two historical descriptions:

1997 Internet Draft specification A Method for Web Robots Control
    How to create a /robots.txt file
    Where to put it

The short answer: in the top-level directory of your web server.

The longer answer:

When a robot looks for the "/robots.txt" file for URL, it strips the path component from the URL (everything from the first single slash), and puts "/robots.txt" in its place.

For example, for "http://www.example.com/shop/index.html, it will remove the "/shop/index.html", and replace it with "/robots.txt", and will end up with "http://www.example.com/robots.txt".

So, as a web site owner you need to put it in the right place on your web server for that resulting URL to work. Usually that is the same place where you put your web site's main "index.html" welcome page. Where exactly that is, and how to put the file there, depends on your web server software.

Remember to use all lower case for the filename: "robots.txt", not "Robots.TXT.
    What to put in it
    The "/robots.txt" file is a text file, with one or more records. Usually contains a single record looking like this:

Disallow: /cgi-bin/
    Disallow: /tmp/
    Disallow: /~joe/
    In this example, three directories are excluded.

Note that you need a separate "Disallow" line for every URL prefix you want to exclude -- you cannot say "Disallow: /cgi-bin/ /tmp/" on a single line. Also, you may not have blank lines in a record, as they are used to delimit multiple records.

Note also that globbing and regular expression are not supported in either the User-agent or Disallow lines. The '*' in the User-agent field is a special value meaning "any robot". Specifically, you cannot have lines like "User-agent: *bot*", "Disallow: /tmp/*" or "Disallow: *.gif".

What you want to exclude depends on your server. Everything not explicitly disallowed is considered fair game to retrieve. Here follow some examples:
    To exclude all robots from the entire server

To allow all robots complete access

Disallow:
    (or just create an empty "/robots.txt" file, or don't use one at all)
    To exclude all robots from part of the server

Disallow: /cgi-bin/
    Disallow: /tmp/
    Disallow: /junk/
    To exclude a single robot

User-agent: BadBot
    To allow a single robot

User-agent: Google
    Disallow:

To exclude all files except one
    This is currently a bit awkward, as there is no "Allow" field. The easy way is to put all files to be disallowed into a separate directory, say "stuff", and leave the one file in the level above this directory:

Disallow: /~joe/stuff/
    Alternatively you can explicitly disallow all disallowed pages:

Disallow: /~joe/junk.html
    Disallow: /~joe/foo.html
    Disallow: /~joe/bar.html
  9. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

For the record: it does NOT help to add a robots.txt file AFTER a page has already been indexed. In that case, you need to add the "robots" meta tag instead...

A robots.txt file doesn't tell search engines to de-index a certain page. It only instructs them not to crawl certain pages anymore. There's a huge difference.

Comments on this post

• johnfambrini agrees : Thanks, did not know that.
    ...Hey you! FREE SEO report card ...I really my hosting company...
  11. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

NOINDEX meta tag will really do the job but remember that it will unrank your page for ANY keyword (since you mentioned you didn't want it to rank for that specific keyword, I thought I'd make it clear)

I do not want google to show my site in search results for that keyword.

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : In most cases doing this would be dumb. Why freeze out a landing page.
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end