1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

how relevant are relevant keywords?

So.. i'm going after 2-3 key phrases which I think will best fit the people who would expect to find my site.. With my focus on getting inbound links.. Would links from sites that I know people would be on who might also be interested in my site be relevant to helping my ranking for my keyword even if this site is not targeting that keyword?

example:

i target a band name in the rock genre, i want to do well in searches for that band and info on that band.. but would getting links from high ranking sites for the term 'rock' help me? when i search for the band name i might not expect to find their site hihgly ranked but the link would be relevant..

I know these links are helpfull for traffic, but im mainly concerned with my PR ranking for this at the moment..

also.. if the phrases/kw i am targetting have a limited number of sites that appear.. what other alternatives for inbound linking are there that might help my ranking?

thank you so much for your help..
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

If your site is for a rock band and you have inbound links from rock sites, they will be considered relevant, to some degree. Relevance is more of a continuum than a binary thing, but as a general rule of thumb, if it is a likely that your target audiance would consider it relevant, it is likely that Google will too.

As for passing PR, relevance won't affect that. That is determined by the PR of the page and the number of links on the page linked to yours. Still, I think your question is pointing in the right direction. Relevancy is going to make more of a difference for your SERPs than just PR.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

awesome.. thats just what i wanted to hear.. there are very few sites to link from in my keyword and I was hoping linking from relevant sites that arent going for the same keyword might be worthwhile..

also.. as a rule of thumb.. if a page is listed in google.. are the chances that it will be reindexed and my link counted high?

i've found that sometimes there are blog posts on the band/artist i'm focusing on and they often have comments/feedback sections for a post where people can post additional info.. would a link in one of these posts gain me anything if their pr rating is sufficient?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Google revisits different sites/pages at different intervals. in general, the higher the PR, the more often it is visited. Also, the more the content changes, the more often it is visited. You can check google's cache for the pages your link will go on. If the cache date is recent, chances are it is being indexed fairly often. If it is months old, you may be in for a long wait. Either way, the link can't hurt an will eventually help.

As for related blogs, most of the time the link will pass PR, and if the blog is relevant, so will the link be. The long term value is questionable, but I have seen good value out of relevant blog links.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

is it even worth bothering to acquire links from pages with lower PR than your own page? or similar level..
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by juice
    is it even worth bothering to acquire links from pages with lower PR than your own page? or similar level..
    YES! Those low PR links that you pass up today might be PR6 next month - or may even be now since Google refuses to show an update.

Also, Yahoo and MSN don't use Google's PR rankings and they might value those low PR sites much higher.

If the site is on topic and the site is of merit.... don't let Google decide who you link with.

Google cannot focus anymore and makes changes without basis. You cannot let their PR rankings effect your business.