1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to produce many pages of content?

My competitors have spam "almost-duplicate" content that gives them more pages, and other than that, I'm competing on SERPs with the Amazons, B&N's, etc. of the world that have millions of pages.

My site is at least as relevant, and probably more so, but I only have 10 pages or so of content. I could probably stretch that out to 15, but there's not really that much to say about what my company does! I don't have a catalogue of products, or hundreds of press releases, etc.

The only things I could think of are to have some cheesy resource, like a list of area codes (I'm in a niche part of the telecom industry) and have one page pop up per area code that gives the state/province, and hide this 'resource' somewhere where nobody's likely to click on it.

Otherwise, I considered hosting on a service that hosts many sites, and take advantage of the fact that Google considers them all to be one huge multi-page domain. Then, I'd have to forward it somehow to my site.

I'm getting desperate here..
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If you don't have the ability to generate a large mass of content then the most direct attack would be getting an impressive number of links.

Small size can play to your advantage because PR sinks into those giant sites like a seive. I have sites of 4 pages, 40 pages 400 pages and 40000 pages. The 4 page site is easy to fill with PR but it takes an awful lot of inbound links to make the pages of a 40000 page site very competetive.

I don't think that google gives any automatic credit to a gigantic site. You've gotta have inbound links from other relevant sites to get anywhere.
  5. Supercalifragilistic
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by torontodude
    I could probably stretch that out to 15, but there's not really that much to say about what my company does! I don't have a catalogue of products, or hundreds of press releases, etc.
    I have no idea what your industry, product, service, etc. is, but here are some general ideas that might be helpful:

- tip sheets
    - tutorials
    - news / commentary (on the industry)
    - FAQs
    - glossary
    - reviews
    - bio pages
    - history
    - vision statement
    - testimonials
    - site map

I agree with Egol though. I would focus less on the size of your site and more on the quality of it. Attract inbound links and the rest will take care of itself.
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Bernard has some great ideas. I especially like the "tutorial". My next site is going to be a retail site that has a "School" attached where I will have free online mini courses that show how to use the products. I know that these tutorials will get high PR links from .edu domains as they will deal with hard to illustrate topics that are covered in high enrollment courses.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'd like to focus on the quality, but size seems more important for some of my keywords where I'm filtered out.

I like the news idea. I know that PRweb has free syndication, so I suppose I could separate pages for each news item that refreshes content on a daily basis. The only problem is that it's not necessarily high quality news, just the stuff for companies that can't afford traditional PR.

Originally Posted by Bernard
    I have no idea what your industry, product, service, etc. is, but here are some general ideas that might be helpful:

- tip sheets
    - tutorials
    - news / commentary (on the industry)
    - FAQs
    - glossary
    - reviews
    - bio pages
    - history
    - vision statement
    - testimonials
    - site map

I agree with Egol though. I would focus less on the size of your site and more on the quality of it. Attract inbound links and the rest will take care of itself.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

our site has 12,500 pages of unique content that is DB driven but Google does not filter as dynamic.

this helps us because 2500 of these pages have a PR of 4 or higher. 200 have a PR5. etc.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by EGOL
    You've gotta have inbound links from other relevant sites to get anywhere.
    The problem with large sites is that Google does not calculate PR to convergence on each monthly or biweekly (whatever it is) cycle. Google takes many cycles to get the PR accurate, if ever. The academic description of PR and the implementation are two entirely different concepts.

twins.fan
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Syragon, how do you create pages like you do? Do you use a script for that DB driven content?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

How to produce many pages of content?
    Hire some great copywiters to write some copy related to your site. You could also arrange a writing content etc. If you don't have the money to have copy writen then put all your pressreleases on the web, you would be surprised how keyword rich they are (well most of the time).
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Getting copy

I've seen some great ideas about getting copy here and I'd like to offer one that works for me. Look at your competition, not necessarily those above you, and look for contributed articles. Most have a link and/or email which allows you to contact the author.

Make the contact and ask them if they have any other articles, even old stuff, you might be allowed to use.

This works for me most of the time, but if push comes to shove I simply read sevaral articles and write a quick 50 word summary myself. Yes it's work, but are you in this for business or as a hobby?