1. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

How much do you trust in what Google employees say?

Just curious... Do you ever think "That must be a lie" or do you more like "Ummm ok they said a different thing previously, maybe I just misunderstood it then"
    ?

Like a quick example: They said Panda was part of algorithm (so there would be no confirmed updates in the future) but then they announced there would be a Panda refresh in a few weeks (two statements kind of contradict each other)

Now they are saying Penguin is part of algorithm (so there may be no more updates confirmed in the future)...

Do you believe this time? Thoughts?

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I don't believe anything that comes from that side until I can confirm it through data.
    They speak with forked tongue.

Believe nothing you hear or read and half of what you see.

Comments on this post

• Ann Smarty agrees : haha don't get me started on forks lol
  5. Digital Marketing

Trust, but verify
  7. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Ann Smarty
    Like a quick example: They said Panda was part of algorithm (so there would be no confirmed updates in the future) but then they announced there would be a Panda refresh in a few weeks (two statements kind of contradict each other)
    Glad someone else thinks about this stuff. I recently responded to Mark Roberts thread about this and at least one of John Mueller's comments May 19th John Mueller Q&A Transcript but as a rebuttal statements may seem contradictory course statements are commonly directed toward and counter a targeted question that was posed to a Googlers and Googlers cannot directed answer due to NDA.

So unless they parse every statement previously made surround all closely related topics and make any new analogy or analysis fit nicely into the same box you will have little pieces that don't quite fit.

A directed rebuttal to any contradictory statements involving PANDA... they appeared to have some technical problem with PENGUIN that spilled over into PANDA and while PANDA was indeed mainstream they couldn't fix PENGUIN without reverting PANDA to an earlier timeline.

That my version of reading between all the delay comments on both. PANDA was like clockwork for more than 2 years but now there seems to be some issue that should have been dealt with before it went mainstream.
    Last edited by fathom; Jun 11th, 2015 at 03:21 AM.
  9. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by fathom
    Glad someone else thinks about this stuff. I recently responded to Mark Roberts thread about this and at least one of John Mueller's comments May 19th John Mueller Q&A Transcript but as a rebuttal statements may seem contradictory course statements are commonly directed toward and counter a targeted question that was posed to a Googlers and Googlers cannot directed answer due to NDA.

So unless they parse every statement previously made surround all closely related topics and make any new analogy or analysis fit nicely into the same box you will have little pieces that don't quite fit.
    Exactly..the data will have these missing puzzle pieces..google likes to disguise the hell out of it...they don't want anyone to know.
    That's why analyzing the data is so important and then sometimes you can only get close. And it really doesn't matter, they're going to change it again.
    It's all about getting more PPC.
  11. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    It's all about getting more PPC.
    That, in itself, is a little far-fetched... I would really get clicks from page 100... that is the only way Google makes revenue, right? If I got clicks.

I'm sure they can dump organic results so to afford more room for Adwords but it didn't work for GoTo/Overture so why would it work now for Google?
  13. Dinosaur

See I don't quite understand this refresh stuff. If its a algo update then fair enough but refresh tends to imply its just data. So why is it not being updated while post processing data collected by googlebot.

Recently I was given a copy of Their General Guidelines Overview, this talks a lot about how to rate a page / website which to me suggests a manual review, now a refresh from manually collected data would fit and maybe they are waiting for all the data for be finalised. But have google really manually reviewed every website ? I must sit down and read this document in more detail to understand exactly what its aims are.

Anyone wanting a copy let me know.
  15. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by fathom
    That, in itself, is a little far-fetched... I would really get clicks from page 100... that is the only way Google makes revenue, right? If I got clicks.

I'm sure they can dump organic results so to afford more room for Adwords but it didn't work for GoTo/Overture so why would it work now for Google?
    I don't think that's far fetched at all, Google makes more money when more PPC jumps on board..No? Keep confusing people as what's needed to get to the top of organic results will get more to go with PPC. Googles end result is to make as much as they can and they do it through algo changes, they want the people who rank well organically because many spend good money to do so. Google would much rather have that money.

and no it didn't work for Overture and GoTo, don't you think google is doing it a bit different. They don't need more room, but don't you think they want the click rate to rise? Adding more to PPC will do that.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Jun 11th, 2015 at 04:35 PM.
  17. rod@missionop.com

I don't think that's far fetched at all, Google makes more money when more PPC jumps on board..No?
    When supply increases and demand remains the same everyone but Google makes less but even Google doesn't make more.

When Google's market share increase stealing searchers from Bing, Yahoo, or Ask or a larger percentage of searcher click on ads Google makes more revenue and the advertisers tend to make what they always have.

Keep confusing people as what's needed to get to the top of organic results will get more to go with PPC. Googles end result is to make as much as they can and they do it through algo changes, they want the people who rank well organically because many spend good money to do so. Google would much rather have that money.
    If I have a buck and Google has 100 advertisers (that includes me) each with a buck and there are only 100 searchers that click costing each advertise 1 cent what needs to change for Google to earn more?

and no it didn't work for Overture and GoTo, don't you think google is doing it a bit different. They don't need more room, but don't you think they want the click rate to rise? Adding more to PPC will do that.
    Google has pretty much reached there market cap short of additional economic, social or environmental changes... which is why they diversified and continue to move into other complementary industry & segments.
  19. Digital Marketing

Google is nothing more than a marketing agency who's main goal is to make money. It's why SEO is dying. Google Phoenix Restaurants, there's no restaurants in the results. Why? Google doesn't make money when people click an organic result unless it's one with adsense. It's how they increase demand.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.
  21. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    It's going to get worse before it gets better.
    I totally disagree... it will constantly change hands, for sure, but someone will always be #1, someone else will be #2 they just may not be the same #1s & #2s.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : You make great points. Time will tell
  23. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

It' so funny o see this kind of thread started. I know when I've talked to their PPC reps, they don't know how to do anything but blow your budget and try to get you to increase it by targeting as many crappy keywords as possible. I don't believe anything their PPC reps tell me. I've been much better learning googles tools elsewhere.
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Ann Smarty
    Not really. SatNav is part of Audi cars. If they say that all new models from August 2015 will have a 'refreshed' SatNav that doesn't mean that all the old ones didn't. SatNav was an integral part of older models but an update version will be an integral part of newer models.

Same with Panda, it is part of the algo but how it operates within the algo will be updated....