1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

How many words on Home page?

I just did a free auditer (SEOptimer) for my website and it says that I do not have enough words on my home page.

I have 350 words.

How many should I be looking at?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Content depth is definitely something to be considered with. 350 words is pretty low in my opinion so the assessment seems reasonable (I don't know that it matters that much however - links are more important). Without knowing what the website is about (maybe share your link) I would say at least 700 words would be appropriate (a very general guide). If you're an local florist for example, and you have five different "services" you'd want to have at least 100 words on each, a small about section with 100 words perhaps, and a benefits section of about 100 words; that's 700 right there.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The homepage serves as your main page, where people often go to visit your website. It is but practical to put extra effort on content for this page. A good 700-up words is ideal but of course you need to also consider the quality of content that you publish. Make sure that when people come to your homepage, they see what they are looking for (and more).
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Mallory24,
    NEVER believe any advice from a free SEO site audit.

Throw out this simplistic SEO concept of how many words are needed on a page.

My pet example is the search query: Is it Christmas

You will find the top ranked web page out of 1.3 BILLION pages is nothing more than an image of the word "NO".

Ask your free SEO auditor to explain this result?
  9. No Profile Picture

1000 words is needed if u want your site always on first position

Comments on this post

• IvanDrago : Balls.
    • Pierre Benneton : I can show you 2K words pages that can not rank for anything valuable.
  11. No Profile Picture

Run some competitor analysis on the keyword(s) you want the home page to rank for. I'm not saying you have to get into a content war with competitors but it will give you a benchmark of how many words they are using on their home pages.

T
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Not giving an opinion, just saying that there is a ton of research being done on long form content moving the needle in a big way. Go ahead, Google it.
  15. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's not how many words it's what words are used.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees
    • dzine agrees : One word might even suffice :)
    Last edited by Test-ok; Mar 8th, 2018 at 06:42 PM.
  17. No Profile Picture

‘The more the better’, quality over quantity is definitely a deciding factor. Ensure your content is unique and of a high quality, that you provide 80% information about the site and 20% sales, and follow these guidelines for length and SEO optimization, and you will be getting better Google Ranking!
  19. No Profile Picture

Well, as per my experience 500-600 words are preferable and also try to put images, so your landing page is very well optimized as well as attract so many peoples.
  21. No Profile Picture

There are not a range of words on any page of the website but content should be unique and full of quality.if you are thinking about range then you should put 450 to 600.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would say (as some already say), that 300 words is a little low.

However, at the same time it is the homepage and often having huge amounts of text is not appealing to views (not in terms of article, but in terms of homepage)

There is no exact figures, but pages ranking on the first page of Google tend to be over 1000 words (again, not an exact statement as it does depend, but generally speaking longer article pages rank better than shorter ones)

The beauty of having more text on the homepage is that homepages tend to have most authority and juice of other pages and adding text with contextual internal links can boost rankings for internal links.

If you can add more words and still make the page look nice and user friendly, then go for it
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Mallory24,
    The only correct answer to your question is, "it depends".

We have spoken in other posts of your Mt Everest site and its ranking problems.

IMHO, you will get nowhere if you try attracting generic SE referrals with your simplistic single page ranking approach, particularly if you are still trying to rank #1 for the search query, "Mt Everest".

Google has progressed way beyond this. It stopped ranking pages based on limited info search queries like, "Mt Everest". It now attempts to determine the searcher's intent behind the query. Look at the "related searches" to the query. They are:

• mount everest deaths
    • mount everest information
    • mount everest facts
    • mt everest height
    • mount everest map
    • mount everest country
    • mount everest video
    • mount everest movie

Now look at the answers to the "Mt Everest" search query on G.UK...

#1. Mount Everest - Wikipedia
    Mount Everest, known in Nepali as Sagarmatha and in Tibetan as Chomolungma, is Earth's highest mountain above sea level, located in the Mahalangur Himal sub-range of the Himalayas. The international border between China (Tibet Autonomous Region) and Nepal (Province No. 1) runs across its summit point.
    Edmund Hillary George Everest Khumbu Icefall List of people who died

JA Comment: It is not just the number of words on the page it is the related search answers provided on the page.

Incidentally, the word count of the page is, 27,800.

#2. New G Content: Top Stories
    JA Comment: This SERP content was not provided in the SERPs until recently.

You can see that G is selecting recent news articles from significant news sources.

You will have problems getting your Home page into this section of the results

#3. Is it time to ban Western travellers - and their egos - from Mount Everest?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/c...mbing-everest/
    2 days ago - Spring in the Himalayas brings with it the start of the brief Everest climbing season and for the next six to eight weeks, a thousand or so foreigners will descend on Nepal in a bid to scale the highest mountain on the planet. The weary climbers who make it to the top will join an exclusive club of roughly ...

JA Comment: It seems G is invoking its query deserves freshness ranking factor to select this article.

#4. Mount Everest | World | The Guardian
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/everest
    Tourist board criticised for new regulations, which also prohibit solo ascents with the aim of reducing the number of accidents. Published: 30 Dec 2017. Nepal bans blind people and double amputees from climbing Everest. August 2017. Indian police sack couple for faking climb to Everest summit. Dinesh and Tarakeshwari ...

JA Comment:
    It seems G is invoking its query deserves freshness ranking factor to select this article.

#5. Mount Everest - Alpine Ascents International
    https://www.alpineascents.com/climbs/mount-everest/
    Mt. Everest, rising 8,850 m (29,035 ft.) above sea level reigns as the highest mountain on Earth. Since the first ascent in 1953 by Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay, reaching the summit of Everest has been considered one of the greatest achievements in mountaineering. Every spring, Alpine Ascents International ...

JA Comment: Another page that answers more than one related search query. Word count for the page is 9,000 words.

#6. 360: Climbing Mount Everest - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaEY0RL8Fs4
    May 25, 2016 - Uploaded by Caters Clips
    A group of intrepid explorers have documented the summit of Mount Everest using a 360 degree camera. The ...

JA Comment: The related search queries include "videos" and "movies". Web page word count is irrelevant to this ranking result.

#7. The good, bad and ugly sides to climbing Mount Everest | Post ...
    http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post.....-mount-everest
    Aug 4, 2017 - The growing appetite for summiting the the world's highest mountain has left this bucket-list staple littered with bodies and waste, while those who make the dream come true remain unsung and woefully underpaid.

JA Comment: Another major news site that provides answers to multiple related search query info. Page word count is 1,850
    You cannot expect to get any useful answers to your specific SEO problems when you provide inadequate info about your search problems. When the top competitor to your search query includes 27k words on its page, word count answers from SEO Chat folk become irrelevant for many reasons.

You need to start your SEO with planning who you want to attract to your site and the info topics you want to provide to them. I understand that it is difficult for your given situation but you can't avoid it if you want to attract generic SE referrals from G.