1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How many links are too many for a links page?

I've been looking at my competitors links pointing to them and have decided to get as many similar links and then some, but don't want to dilute my links page with a bunch of links that may or may not add any benefit to the customers of my site. When setting up a links page, or links pages, what's a good number of links to have on one page?

-Brian Renner
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I try to keep pages less than 3 scrolls long. I prefer to have text, not just links/banners or whatever. Usually works to be like 25-30 links per page, double spacing between each one. 1 link with about 15-20 words of text each.
  5. A trained killer.. in SEO

enterpreneur, welcome to the forums!

Well... Google guidelines instruct you to put no more than 50 links in a page.
    But from my previous tests. I think anything more than 15~20 will get your visitors puzzled.
    So, it would be best to divide your links page into sections. (if your site is about widgets, you can create a page with links about blue widgets, yellow widgets, green widgets... and so on). You can then create your main links page which links to each one of these pages.

It can looks something like this... http://www.cut-the-knot.org/ReciprocalMain.shtml (this one has too many links, but you get the idea)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks

Thank you for welcoming me and responding so quickly. I discovered this site only recently and am amazed at how friendly and helpful everyone is. I look forward to learning a lot and soon passing on information to new users like myself.

-Brian Renner
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Actually you can have as many links as you want just dont exceed a 101k file size. Google suggests 50 links because 50 lossely coded links (plus your other page code) would be close to 101k and Google simply stops crawling the page once it's grabbed 101k. Nowadays with CSS you can sqeeze close to 400 links onto one page within the 101k limit. I have a sitemap with over 400 links on it and each one gets crawled. (I know not the same thing but close)

A major reason I think Google might have made that guideline is because if you have over 50 links on a single page than hardly any PR is passed and Google depends on them backlinks for the SERPs ;)
    -PK
  13. Contributing User

totally correct pk.....

i have been testing this recently after a '101k vs 100 links' post a few weeks ago....

ive found that if the content of a page that has excessive links (50+) is changed on a DAILY basis, then each link gets spidered each and every day.

i did some testing - one page with and one page without daily content changes and the daily content changing page is visited by mr. googleybot every day and so are the pages linked from it, whereas the other lags behind.

just my 10p ($0.17c) worth :-)