1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How many internal links on a page are too many?

Hello All,

Just looking for some advice on internal links on a page and whether there is an upper limit?

Basically I run a directory website and each single listing is tied to what are called 'features taxonomies' When I
    add a new listing I apply what features the listing belongs in etc. In the single listing page there is a
    list of features at the bottom - at the moment these are 'not' linked back to their features taxonomy pages, however, I
    can now set all of these to be 'linked' to their features taxonomy (category) pages if I want to. But, each listing could have
    up to 30 features set on it which would mean 30 links. Also, there are tags on the single lising page too which are
    for 'locations' these are already linked to their 'location tag category' pages.

So, if I linked all the features and the location tags I would end up with around 60 + internal links (plus a few others) from
    the one page - is this too many?

Thanks for any advice.

Andrew
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Google used to restrict pages to the first 100kb in size and also only use the first 100 links found on a page.

This was before webpages became multimedia pages so majority of pages could easily come within that limit. However things have moved on and google have increased that limit to allow for richer content. They have as far as I am aware never stated what the limit is now but I would suspect there still is one.

So from a technical point of view your good to go.

However.

I tend to recommend the sum of all links on a page (which include header and footer elements) should still be under 100. and to be honest the lower the better. It does not matter if you make some links nofollow as they still count as a link I am afraid.

The reason is simply because of link juice and the way it flows around your site. each link you place on a page divides that page rank further so weakening each link. A lot of this now has become just theoretical as google took off us the ability to see a page PR (page rank) which is divided by the total number of links on that page and passed on to the receiving pages assuming it was not nofollow. It was more than possible to do page rank sculpturing with some accuracy and with careful internal linking you could promote important pages to you.
    Last edited by Chedders; Mar 18th, 2017 at 06:47 AM.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

As always, thank you for your input Cheddars.

So lets say I have 25 listings. Each one of those listings includes the 30 plus feature taxonomy I mentioned - would that mean the link juice to the features taxonomies pages and the single listing
    page would be diluted?

I guess I don't want to upset the apple card unless there is some benefit in doing so.

Thanks again - Andrew
  7. Dinosaur

if your total links on the page including menus etc are now 55 then each link will receive 1/55 of the page rank the page holds. Its actually even less as google throw away a small amount but to understand how it works just think of it as page rank divided by total links = link juice going to the pages.

Now if only google would publish the page rank again then it would really easy to understand.
  9. No Profile Picture

Ok - thanks Cheddars. Appreciate it
  11. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Chedders is right.

It might be good to add that not all link pass PR juice, this is only true if the link as no rel='nofollow' tag.

No follow tag can be helpful when pointing to pages that are important for your users once they are on your site but that you don't want to push in search engines, like legal pages on e-commerce websites, these pages are generally accessible from the footer as sitewide links and can be a big source of lost juice. Fixing these slightly increases the juice passed to the other pages and their importance in the eyes of Google.
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

On the question 'How many links will Google crawl' I did some recent experiments on this and found the number to be 5,000+ ... but not always.

I suspect if Google finds content it thinks is worth indexing in the first few hundred links it switches to Duracell Bunny mode and just keeps going and going ...
  15. Dinosaur

LOL I knew there was a really old video talking about this, a bit of a hunt I found it.
    I find it really interesting on how Matt is talking about page rank sculpting here or at least why 1,000's of is bad yet in other videos he states its something you should not worry about.