Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How many internal links on one page is too many?

Hi all, I have read that google will penalize you if you have more than 100 internal links/urls (not leaving your site) on one page? is this true? I have currently 111 links on my index page that 95% go to internal pages within my site..Could this be a problem? Is there a standard number that one shouldnt go above ?
    Many Thanks
    Phil
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I use 50 or less as a rule of thumb. I use to have a TON more but my users were a little overwhemled I think. As far as I know Google does not penalize for number of internal links on a page. I tend to think in terms of the end user. Others here might disagree.

Originally Posted by fillthy
    Hi all, I have read that google will penalize you if you have more than 100 internal links/urls (not leaving your site) on one page? is this true? I have currently 111 links on my index page that 95% go to internal pages within my site..Could this be a problem? Is there a standard number that one shouldnt go above ?
    Many Thanks
    Phil
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

You cant get penalized for having alot of links. Look at sitemaps, they usually have ALOT of internal links and SEs just eat them up. But like popems said 111 links on a homepage can be a bit confusing.

If you are putting the links on there for SEs just create a sitemap.
    -PK
  7. Master of the cave
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Could someone tell me how do I count how many links my page has? It has hundreds, I want to know the exact number, is there some tool I could use?
    Need some free backlinks for your site? Check this out!
  9. Mostly sane...
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by fryman
    Could someone tell me how do I count how many links my page has? It has hundreds, I want to know the exact number, is there some tool I could use?
    fryman, just copy the source into a decent text editor and count the "<a href=" occurances. Our give me the URL and I can do it real quick.

-Michael
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I have 4 sitemaps on my site. I had to break it down into pages of 100k or less each. Each of those pages have about ~1000 links each I'd guess. Google likes them. In fact, one of the site map pages ranks #13 for the title of that page with no external links pointing to it (and the word appearing nowhere else on the page LOL). I'd say google likes those pages just fine.

As long as the page is under 100k, google doesn't seem to care too much. For regular browsing pages, I'd keep it under 50-60 links for sure, if at all possible.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I got pages with 1200-1500 links and they all get indexed and followed. I am pretty sure that the true page weight limit is much, much higher than 101k, I have a site that goes online tomorrow with some 60.000 pages. I will put the site map weight to 250k as a start.
  15. Contributing User

Interesting. I have read many times about the 100k limit and have heard many people state that they had no issues getting pages with massive amount of links indexed and the links off that page followed and indexed.

My personal experience with this is quite different. I have found that any page with more than 150 links takes significantly more time and more PR to be followed than a page with fewer than 150 links. I am not saying it can't be done, but I have done experiments where the only thing significantly different between 2 sites was the link structure and found the number of links on a single page definitely became an issue somewhere in the vicinity of 200 links. I typically like to setup very large sites in a 3-tier approach ... no more than 150 links on the main page and then up to 75 links on each subsequent level. This allows very large where every page is no more than 3 links from the homepage.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fryman
    Fryman:
    You can use this tool to calculate the "link appeal"

http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/link-appeal.shtml

Sergio
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by nmalhot
    Interesting. I have read many times about the 100k limit and have heard many people state that they had no issues getting pages with massive amount of links indexed and the links off that page followed and indexed.

My personal experience with this is quite different. I have found that any page with more than 150 links takes significantly more time and more PR to be followed than a page with fewer than 150 links. I am not saying it can't be done, but I have done experiments where the only thing significantly different between 2 sites was the link structure and found the number of links on a single page definitely became an issue somewhere in the vicinity of 200 links. I typically like to setup very large sites in a 3-tier approach ... no more than 150 links on the main page and then up to 75 links on each subsequent level. This allows very large where every page is no more than 3 links from the homepage.
    I do this too..for my viewers. I make everything 3 levels deep at the most; but for a site map. i want everything on as few pages as possible - since the page is mainly for spiders anyways - lets be honest - site maps are non-functional pages for the majority of sites out there. I just link to it from every page on my site and that seems to give it enough oomph to get google to trudge down thru every link.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Google will not penalize you if you have more than 100 internal links, it is just a guideline at http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

More than 100 links ok

I have many index pages with more than 100 links (I try not to) and the pages and links get treated well by g.

On the 100k page size, my observation has been that anything after the 100k is is just ignored.

The translation tools are a good example of this. If you translate a page larger than 100k the bottom remains in the original language.

My concern with the page size limit has to do with worrying about not having the terminating (html) blocks of tables included in the page analysis and possible oversights because of broken HTML syntax.

-Dino
  25. Contributing User

Link Appeal report for http://fiercestreetnetworks.com/
    PageRank: 3/10
    Outbound Links: 64
    % of links to HTML 29%
    Traffic: 2,628,368
    Computed Link Appeal: 1/10 (5)
    1. Should I kill some outbound links?
    2. Should I loose some of the links for a smaller % of links/html?
  27. Contributing User

Hello,

I am still looking for a bit of advice on
    this:
    Quote:
    Link Appeal report for http://fiercestreetnetworks.com/
    PageRank: 3/10
    % of links to HTML 29%
    Traffic: 2,628,368
    Computed Link Appeal: 1/10 (5)

1. Should I kill some outbound links?
    2. Should I loose some of the links for a smaller % of links/html?
  29. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Thats quite alot of outbounds. I dont know many linkers that would be willing to trade links with a page like.

Remove links that arent necessary.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: