Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to make sense of Panda 2.2?

So we got punished pretty badly by Panda to the point where offshore adsense blogs rank better than our site. I can't explain it and perhaps someone can.

http://www.boldplan.com/s/tiny/8658Lh

It's hard to explain how the /jobs/ directory was the only one not only unaffected, but saw an increase of 10% traffic. If anything, that's the area I would have thought was least original and syndicated from another site.

I'm not asking about just why my site was hit but is it possible that anyone can make sense of this so that we can obtain results that can be duplicated and thus "confirmed" to the best of our ability.
  3. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Whats the point in your site? Is it meant to be just a directory of lawyers?

I checked /lawyers/category/accident-injury/car-accident/ which I just got to randomly by clicking any old category and every page on my way to that page had no information on it!

Just look at how I got to that page vie these steps:
    /find-lawyers/ - No Content
    /lawyers/ - Directory, No Information
    /lawyers/category/accident-injury/ - More directories and some names, but still no information
    /lawyers/category/accident-injury/car-accident/ - A blank page! Just what I need if I'm looking for a lawyer after a car accident!

I see that you have some articles in the faq section but other parts of the site such as /journal/ and /articles/ have nothing!

I gave up after this, but if the rest of the site is like that, why do you think google would find your site worth ranking?

Out of interest, what keywords do you want to rank for and what pages/parts of the site have actually been worked on?
    Last edited by NathanielB; Jul 9th, 2011 at 03:15 PM.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by NathanielB
    Whats the point in your site? Is it meant to be just a directory of lawyers?
    It is if you go to the lawyers directory and continue to just look in that one directory and deliberately ignore everything else, that's what it might appear to be. Here are a few tips:

(1) Visit the home page. That should help.
    (2) Read the titles on the navigation bar and try another choice.
    (3) Since you profess to know so much about SEO, how about performing a Google search to see which of the tens of thousands of indexed pages I have come up?

Originally Posted by NathanielB
    I see that you have some articles in the faq section but other parts of the site such as /journal/ and /articles/ have nothing!I gave up after this, but if the rest of the site is like that, why do you think google would find your site worth ranking?
    I put up those two sections literally 3 hours ago to work on while people are asleep and put up the landing page. Now did you bother to even take a look at anything else on the site? Obviously you didn't but somehow you found those items out of all the other functional ones. Coincidence? Did you deliberately not look at the navigation and purposefully avoid mentioning the forum with well over 100,000 posts? Did you deliberately avoid the Law Guide with well over 100 high quality articles in dozens of categories? Oh wait, you said "some" articles as if there were a handful.

I'm guessing it's the same reason you decided to avoid my use of a URL cloaker and posted all those URLs with domain exposed for us to see was an attempt to be funny. It's not clever and in poor taste as is your joke about slapping Panda. Do us a favor and edit your post instead of showing us all how malicious you are. Hopefully someone with good intentions will come here to discuss and provide some value.

Comments on this post

• kilburn2000 : well done in getting angry with one of the few people on this forum who is likely to give you sound advice...
    • NathanielB : Bust of luck, lets so how long you last if you cant take a bit of criticism!
    Last edited by slinky; Jul 8th, 2011 at 05:06 AM.
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by slinky
    It is if you go to the lawyers directory and continue to just look in that one directory and deliberately ignore everything else, that's what it might appear to be. Here are a few tips:

(1) Visit the home page. That should help.
    (2) Read the titles on the navigation bar and try another choice.
    (3) Since you profess to know so much about SEO, how about performing a Google search to see which of the tens of thousands of indexed pages I have come up?

I put up those two sections literally 3 hours ago to work on while people are asleep and put up the landing page. Now did you bother to even take a look at anything else on the site? Obviously you didn't but somehow you found those items out of all the other functional ones. Coincidence? Did you deliberately not look at the navigation and purposefully avoid mentioning the forum with well over 100,000 posts? Did you deliberately avoid the Law Guide with well over 100 high quality articles in dozens of categories? Oh wait, you said "some" articles as if there were a handful.

I'm guessing it's the same reason you decided to avoid my use of a URL cloaker and posted all those URLs with domain exposed for us to see was an attempt to be funny. It's not clever and in poor taste as is your joke about slapping Panda. Do us a favor and edit your post instead of showing us all how malicious you are. Hopefully someone with good intentions will come here to discuss and provide some value.
    Wow what a great attitude you have! I'm sure you will be go far asking questions and getting your panties tied in a knot when you get an answer.

Ok here's the truth: You have an amazing website full of unique, rich content. The design is worthy of awards and I almost wept when I saw the brilliance of the navigation.

Good luck!

Comments on this post

• Highland agrees : I think he's taken the blank page and raised it to an art form. Google clearly doesn't appreciate good art!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Wow what a great attitude you have! I'm sure you will be go far asking questions and getting your panties tied in a knot when you get an answer.

Ok here's the truth: You have an amazing website full of unique, rich content. The design is worthy of awards and I almost wept when I saw the brilliance of the navigation.
    Is there anyone capable of a mature, polite discussion?
  11. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Is there anyone capable of a mature, polite discussion?
    I really think NathanielB hit the nail on the head. Since it apparently hasn't set in for you yet, Panda is a content quality ranking system. Your site seems to be lacking in content on most pages. It's not hard to draw the conclusion why your site dropped in the index, yet you attacked him for telling you this. So I'm going to go one step further and not sugar coat anything:

Your site is a link farm, with mostly links and no content. You have hundreds of worthless pages on your site and apparently some major usability issues. Your options here are
    1. Attack me and hope someone gives you a more favorable answer that it's really not you (Kernel's was very positive and sugary)
    2. Give up on SEO Chat being "immature"
    3. Trim your site back in pages and focus on writing solid, quality content for your barren pages
    4. Pay a professional SEO to do #3
  13. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

You know what I did write up a reply to your dig at my help, but I dont think you deserve to read it, so I will just suggest you offer more in depth information next time you ask for advice!

And please learn to take advice about poor work (not a dig, just a bit of advice to stop you from pissing people off!) with a spoon full of sugar! In other words dont take posts like mine as digs, look at them as a helping hand and constructive criticism!
    Last edited by NathanielB; Jul 8th, 2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Cant be bothered with this guy any more!
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Do you buy, sell or trade links?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    Do you buy, sell or trade links?
    Never have.
  19. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Never have.
    May I ask how many law related websites you control?
  21. Contributing User

Never have.
    Who is neosurge?
    The free site?
    Bold Plan?

What are your featured listings in the directory?

They could all easily be classified as paid links by someone visiting the site. Easily.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Highland
    I really think NathanielB hit the nail on the head. Since it apparently hasn't set in for you yet, Panda is a content quality ranking system. Your site seems to be lacking in content on most pages. It's not hard to draw the conclusion why your site dropped in the index, yet you attacked him for telling you this. So I'm going to go one step further and not sugar coat anything
    There isn't a good reason why NathanielB, supposedly an SEO expert, deliberately uncloaked my links several times. You know why you declined to do the same. ;) Look at his follow up reply. So posting exposed links is punishment for not being worthy to "deserve" such great advice?

@NathanielB - I'm kindly asking you to edit your links so they don't index me and my site. Please don't make assumptions about people you don't know and assume we just continue not to get it. I could provide criticism about your site and writing that could surprise you but I really don't care to engage in a flaming war. I'd rather be productive. There's only so much all of us can do in a day and sometimes we can't get it all done, overlook some things and ask others to help us spot them.

Originally Posted by Highland
    Your site is a link farm, with mostly links and no content.
    That's not true and a gross exaggeration but I understand what you're trying to say - that the large forum content (which you may have missed) is getting overrun by a directory that is also getting indexed. Point taken although I'm at a loss to explain how several other sites aren't being penalized at all. I can provide some bizarre examples where some dead sites are getting #1 rankings and obvious SEO-junk is being rated higher than high quality competitors.

3. Trim your site back in pages and focus on writing solid, quality content for your barren pages
    4. Pay a professional SEO to do #3
    I appreciate the suggestions. The problem I'm having with Panda is consistency. The "quality content" you're talking about is usually crap, SEO-driven material done by a professional. I'm trying to figure out why most of the material I have that isn't great got boosted but the best material on the site got punished.

Here's an example: http://tiny.cc/53gg0

The result that is #1 is truly terrible. I'm hoping someone can provide some insight as to why it's ranked where it is.
    Last edited by slinky; Jul 8th, 2011 at 01:35 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    May I ask how many law related websites you control?
    Several - but none of them even provide links back to the main site that I'm aware. I didn't build any type of "content wheel" like others have tried to do with offshore services.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    Who is neosurge?
    The free site?
    Bold Plan?

What are your featured listings in the directory?

They could all easily be classified as paid links by someone visiting the site. Easily.
    I appreciate the comments - Neosurge is my long time web and VPS host and we've provided it just to say thanks for fantastic support beyond the call of duty. But this is immaterial in the grand scheme of things, isn't it? A literal handful of links shouldn't punish an entire site with a big forum in comparison to the link I just gave. Take a look - how do those guys rank #1 for those keywords with such a mediocre site? How about the other sites with far more sponsored links?
  29. Contributing User

I appreciate the comments - Neosurge is my long time web and VPS host and we've provided it just to say thanks for fantastic support beyond the call of duty. But this is immaterial in the grand scheme of things, isn't it? A literal handful of links shouldn't punish an entire site with a big forum in comparison to the link I just gave. Take a look - how do those guys rank #1 for those keywords with such a mediocre site? How about the other sites with far more sponsored links?
    The same thing happened to Forbes.com.

If they didn't get any special treatment, do you think you should?

I'm not saying that's definitely the problem - but it could be.

Someone could have found a link to one of their competitors on your site, then submitted a spam report.

It does happen.

Theoretically, all of the links you have going out to lawyers and to the unrelateds - these should be nofollow links. They're a form of advertising, whether paid for with literal money or a polite gesture.

Do you have any messages in your GWT account? If so, start there.

Most big forums (this one included) have seen large decreases in traffic - the solution is to come up with a better idea for content than a forum (but don't ditch the forum - it keeps some people coming back).

Consolidate your useless pages - that is something that should be done regardless of Google. It's user-friendly.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: