Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by slinky
    Here's an example: http://tiny.cc/53gg0

The result that is #1 is truly terrible. I'm hoping someone can provide some insight as to why it's ranked where it is.
    What's wrong with that page?

Aesthetics?

Granted, I didn't read it. But it likely ranks where it does because of some of the 300+ incoming links that particular page has.

Most of the time, third-party verification is more important than the quality of the information provided. If others are saying it's true, then it is believed to be true.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    What's wrong with that page?
    Aesthetics?
    Granted, I didn't read it. But it likely ranks where it does because of some of the 300+ incoming links that particular page has.
    Most of the time, third-party verification is more important than the quality of the information provided. If others are saying it's true, then it is believed to be true.
    Aesthetics aside, which are truly ancient, lol, the page has little relevancy to the search term, which is clearly city specific and the content has no keyword density at all for those terms. Others insist that keyword density indicates relevance and swear that it is what Panda prioritizes and then attempt to show results.

So what's the answer? Should I go out and buy hundreds of farmed links instead of creating excellent, readable content that obviously speaks on the subject and contains keywords? One would have thought that relevant pages about the search terms are more important than mostly irrelevant pages from a "verified" source.
    Last edited by slinky; Jul 8th, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The same thing happened to Forbes.com.
    If they didn't get any special treatment, do you think you should?
    I'm not saying that's definitely the problem - but it could be.
    Someone could have found a link to one of their competitors on your site, then submitted a spam report....
    Many thanks for this - they are all excellent points. Perhaps we cannot get an official explanation of why Panda did what it did but it's certainly something within my control and I should take care of doing what I can to help win the battle.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Why do you think it is of little relevance? It's about statute of limitations... and it includes what that particular limitation would be in new york.

It's probably not the statute of limitations most people will be searching for - but how can you tell with a generic search term?

And.. keyword density doesn't matter.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Why do you think it is of little relevance? It's about statute of limitations... and it includes what that particular limitation would be in new york. It's probably not the statute of limitations most people will be searching for - but how can you tell with a generic search term?
    Agreed but as a total afterthought, especially with regard to New York and the statute of limitations as a whole. Every single page listed below it is clearly far more useful and on a reputable site dedicated to the topic (the SOL for each area, not just contracts) and dedicated to the geographic area (NY). It's also easy to tell that it's likely not as relevant because that site's content and links are more about credit cards than on the search terms.

And.. keyword density doesn't matter.
    This is what is so frustrating. The high level "expert" in google groups insists it matters a great deal!

Anyways, I think I do need some help in actually getting the work done. The site has more than it appears and it's a matter of manpower with knowledge. If anyone wants to contact me, they should feel free to do so. There is only so much that any person can do in a day and it sometimes gets overwhelming.
    Last edited by slinky; Jul 8th, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
  11. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Agreed but as a total afterthought, especially with regard to New York and the statute of limitations as a whole. Every single page listed below it is clearly far more useful and on a reputable site dedicated to the topic (the SOL for each area, not just contracts) and dedicated to the geographic area (NY). It's also easy to tell that it's likely not as relevant because that site's content and links are more about credit cards than on the search terms.

This is what is so frustrating. The high level "expert" in google groups insists it matters a great deal!

Anyways, I think I do need some help in actually getting the work done. The site has more than it appears and it's a matter of manpower with knowledge. If anyone wants to contact me, they should feel free to do so. There is only so much that any person can do in a day and it sometimes gets overwhelming.
    I recommend Jsteele, I know first hand of some of his Law related ranks and they are very impressive.
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Jul 8th, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Several - but none of them even provide links back to the main site that I'm aware. I didn't build any type of "content wheel" like others have tried to do with offshore services.
    You might check on that, take a look, it's painfully obvious your link profile is not natural.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    You might check on that, take a look, it's painfully obvious your link profile is not natural.
    Can you elaborate? Ah wait... I think I know what you're talking about - perhaps it's a signature link on one site, a .org by chance? FYI, that link was added well after the Panda 2.2 update so it had no effect on Google's decision making.

Regarding the recommendation, much appreciated. I welcome all offers of assistance (not just the free kind ;) ) Only so many hours in the day and so darn much to do on all fronts. Good people are hard to find.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  17. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

There isn't a good reason why NathanielB, supposedly an SEO expert, deliberately uncloaked my links several times. You know why you declined to do the same. ;) Look at his follow up reply. So posting exposed links is punishment for not being worthy to "deserve" such great advice?

@NathanielB - I'm kindly asking you to edit your links so they don't index me and my site. Please don't make assumptions about people you don't know and assume we just continue not to get it. I could provide criticism about your site and writing that could surprise you but I really don't care to engage in a flaming war. I'd rather be productive. There's only so much all of us can do in a day and sometimes we can't get it all done, overlook some things and ask others to help us spot them.
    links removed for you, maybe next time you should ask people not to post your links if you dont want us to reference to them!

When did I say im an "seo expert" to you?

lol ok write something about my sites thats going to "surprise" me, but I can tell you that my sites, have content and have not been built in any way that will harm them on google. Also, I dont own or even work on all the sites in my sig, if thats what you going on by saying my sites. I link to sites I like, not just sites I own

That's not true and a gross exaggeration but I understand what you're trying to say - that the large forum content (which you may have missed) is getting overrun by a directory that is also getting indexed. Point taken although I'm at a loss to explain how several other sites aren't being penalized at all.
    I didnt check your forums as I dont tend to look at forums for sites when people ask why they aint ranking as forums on sites such as yours dont generally rank IMO

I can provide some bizarre examples where some dead sites are getting #1 rankings and obvious SEO-junk is being rated higher than high quality competitors.
    Im sure we all could, but once google picks up on such sites, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will be gone, not to return any time soon!

I appreciate the suggestions. The problem I'm having with Panda is consistency. The "quality content" you're talking about is usually crap, SEO-driven material done by a professional. I'm trying to figure out why most of the material I have that isn't great got boosted but the best material on the site got punished.

Here's an example: http://tiny.cc/53gg0

The result that is #1 is truly terrible. I'm hoping someone can provide some insight as to why it's ranked where it is.
    How long has your site been out of the rankings and how do you know its because of the panda update? Could it just be a fluctuation? Are the sites now ranking about you new?

Take on what KP and Jsteele tell you and look more into your links, and dont take notice of people talking about keyword density, it really is something form the 90's and not worth even thinking about these days lol
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page: