1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

How long for new keywords to be ranked?

Hi Guys,

I have just changed my homepage's keywords and its been re-indexed in about 45mins.

So now when I find the homepage in Google the new keyword is in the title.

BUT if I do a search for that keyword it ranks no where, even though its been indexed does it take long for Google to work out where the new keyword shoul be placed in the results?
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Could take a few weeks to a few months. Depends on the magnitude of changes and your crawl rate
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

As Josh said it depends on a number of factors, here are a couple more; keywords competition, on page optimisation and links.

If you change keywords you will need to re-optimise your site for these new keywords and work on getting links for the new keywords too.

Google has no timer to add sites to its listings and will place you as and when they see your site is meant to be ranked for the new keywords. To help with this you need to do as above.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry guys dont think I hve explained myself correctly.

The website has been indexed for years and is at the front of its industry, it gains 1000's of visits a day.

What im asking is if I add a keyword to the homepage, which is found in around 45mins by Google (when I say found I mean the title is updated with the new keyword in the search results for the homepage).

At the same time it updates the title (from a display point of view) will it also workout where that new keyword should be in the results OR will Google come back to this at a later date and work it out.
  9. Orange Dolphin

Originally Posted by apg1985
    Hi Guys,

I have just changed my homepage's keywords and its been re-indexed in about 45mins.

So now when I find the homepage in Google the new keyword is in the title.

BUT if I do a search for that keyword it ranks no where, even though its been indexed does it take long for Google to work out where the new keyword shoul be placed in the results?
    I do agreed what joshz said. However there are a few things you should consider with

1. Did you change your targeted keyword completely or not? If you were targeting for "cat" and now you are targeting for "bus" then the change should be considered as drastic change. It will take longer time than changed to relevant similar niche. Ex. change from "cat" to "dog"

2. When Google cache your new page with new keyword, they will analyze and see how that page could compete with pages that currently ranking for that term.

Ex. You were ranking #3 for "cat" because your page were targeting those keywords and Google just compare them to another page about cat. Now you are targeting "dog" then your competitor may not be the same. Google have to compare your page to another pages with "dog" wording in their pages. The new ranking for dog could be both higher or lower depends on Google own factors / algorithm to judge your page.
  11. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by apg1985
    Sorry guys dont think I hve explained myself correctly.

The website has been indexed for years and is at the front of its industry, it gains 1000's of visits a day.

What im asking is if I add a keyword to the homepage, which is found in around 45mins by Google (when I say found I mean the title is updated with the new keyword in the search results for the homepage).

At the same time it updates the title (from a display point of view) will it also workout where that new keyword should be in the results OR will Google come back to this at a later date and work it out.
    Yes, as I stated before, the changes will reflect upon the next crawl of your website.
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

It takes me about a week to have a page re-indexed for keywords. But I have heard it taking months..