1. Webpreneur
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

How long before penalized site returns

Let's say I had a website that was penalized by Google. Now, let's just assume I know why it was penalized and I fix the problem. How long does it usually take for the site to come back to the previous positions? I would like to hear some real experiences with this if possible.

3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I have seen a good deal of sites come back successfully from temporary penalizations. It should take anywhere from a week to several months. It depends on the severity of the penalizations and what for. The main thing to remember is that you site will return as googlebot comes back to the site and fully spiders it in it's "fixed" form. If you have already emailed Google and made the changes to fix what happened then you should be fine. Just give it some time. It hard to give you before time periods, as you provided little information on the problem. If you got caught for duplicate content, sometimes that will take longer than a penalization for spammy on page elements, etc..

Hope that helps.
  5. Webpreneur

Originally Posted by Phoenix
    I have seen a good deal of sites come back successfully from temporary penalizations. It should take anywhere from a week to several months. It depends on the severity of the penalizations and what for. The main thing to remember is that you site will return as googlebot comes back to the site and fully spiders it in it's "fixed" form. If you have already emailed Google and made the changes to fix what happened then you should be fine. Just give it some time. It hard to give you before time periods, as you provided little information on the problem. If you got caught for duplicate content, sometimes that will take longer than a penalization for spammy on page elements, etc..

Hope that helps.
    Thank you Phoenix it helps a lot. Yeah my problem was duplicate content, as much as I can tell.

7. Disregard Logic, Be Happy

based on your assumptions i'm guessing you tried something blackhat and missed. if that's the case, you've joined a common club that tries to play under the table but complains when they bump their head. if it's not, then heed Phoenix's advice and also note that your site's track record (whether or not you've been penalized in the past) may also contribute to your "time out".
    The Source of All Things Must Be Understood.
  9. Webpreneur

Originally Posted by okguyjames
    based on your assumptions i'm guessing you tried something blackhat and missed. if that's the case, you've joined a common club that tries to play under the table but complains when they bump their head. if it's not, then heed Phoenix's advice and also note that your site's track record (whether or not you've been penalized in the past) may also contribute to your "time out".
    Thank you for your comments okguyjames.
    I never even thought about using any blackhat techniques. The site never had any problems until Jan this year. I had a lot of duplicate content and I think that was the problem. I also never complained , since I have very high opinion of Google. I think Google is trying to do the right thing and I'm aware that is my fault that the site was penalized.

And also question about something form Phoenix's post. What is googlebot "fix form" crawl?

Last edited by Lici; Mar 12th, 2005 at 12:06 AM.
  11. Disregard Logic, Be Happy

although it's not necessary to hold Google in high regards to achieve good SERPs, i respectfully stand corrected.
  13. I <3 Google
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hmm...

Most likely you achieved your ranking position before the penalization DUE To the black hat things that got you penalized. Obviously if you take them off then your reasons for ranking are gone too....
  15. Mr. Goober Guy ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by yo-yo
    Hmm...

Most likely you achieved your ranking position before the penalization DUE To the black hat things that got you penalized. Obviously if you take them off then your reasons for ranking are gone too....
    Not necessarily with duplicate content. Agree with other types. Dup content is simply a matter of re-writing content with identicle KW weights, and proper placement per page wrapped around some new unique content. Basically the same present in a different package.

As far as time...I have no experience with this aspect to say how long it will take, but I would expect two to 6 weeks. If you're sure everything is fixed, resubmit your site to be crawled via the G add. Then work on your inbound links while you patiently wait.

Cheers
    Cheerios!

New to SEO? See the FAQ!

My Disclaimer:
    Don't Listen To Me - I know nothing!
  17. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Google what a great search engine....

I think a healthy opinion of google helps them establish a business relationship with you and may even help your site rank terms easier.

As I said in the past I believe the adsense program is the most inovative and delivers the most effective platform for affiliates I have seen in the past.

As I am sure James and Matt both agree with me that Google is by far the biggest trend setter in todays search engines. I hold Google in the highest of regards and also respect their most Royal lineage.....

Of course my opinion is subject to change at the drop of a hat... Forgive the bad pun their.
  19. Disregard Logic, Be Happy

Originally Posted by Digital-Camera
    As I am sure James and Matt both agree with me that Google is by far the biggest trend setter in todays search engines. I hold Google in the highest of regards and also respect their most Royal lineage.....
    sort of. i think Google views themselves as the standard; they don't feel they're establishing trends
  21. Webpreneur

Just to make myself clear. When I say "duplicate content" I mean content from other websites copied to my website.
  23. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

It amazes me that some of you are so rough on some of the people who are really trying to do the right thing. The only way for us all to succeed it to help one another. You can term duplicate content "blackhat" if you want, but many times, it's done with good intentions. Take three of my sites for example. I commonly write real estate-related articles to help people educate themselves prior to undertaking the purchase or sale of homes. At one time, I wrote articles, then published them to three of my sites which covered entirely different market areas. It wasn't until later on that I even realized that I could be penalized for this -- it's in the best interest of my clients to have access to these materials, and since they're on three different sites covering three entirely different market areas, I see nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately, Google doesn't see it that way and I understand where they're coming from too, but it didn't know it at the time and I suspect that these 3 sites dropped from view in the Feb update due to this duplicate content. It's all MY content, not someone else's. In any event, if you want a more professional environment for SEO practitioners, answer the question instead of judging someone's intent. You don't know the intent of someone's actions, just the results that are mentioned. We're all in this together and none of us would be in this forum if we knew all the answers. Come on folks, let's get it together and treat each other with a little bit of respect.

Comments on this post

• gchaney agrees : I agree with this. To add to it, even if you don't use the article, you could get penalized for linking to it if your host your own sites using the same IP ... OMG! Can't win!
    • asalko agrees : Only 13 posts yet seems more on point than some veterans here...
  25. I <3 Google

delrio1,

I'm going to have to fully disagree with you. There are 1,000's of sites with the exact same articles that all rank and go without penalization just fine. Having the same article on your site as someone else is not going to get you dropped out of google or even penalized. Duplicate content penalties "IMO" are when you have a combination of sites on the same host, with the same content, structure and closely related design as each other. Then you go link them together and wonder why you get dropped ? ;)

If you got penalized for having the same article as any other site on the internet every news site would be banned and never rank for anything, but it's the exact opposite. You can search for a current news events and 5/10 first results will all link right to the same article on different sites..............
  27. Webpreneur

Originally Posted by yo-yo
    delrio1,

I'm going to have to fully disagree with you. There are 1,000's of sites with the exact same articles that all rank and go without penalization just fine. Having the same article on your site as someone else is not going to get you dropped out of google or even penalized. Duplicate content penalties "IMO" are when you have a combination of sites on the same host, with the same content, structure and closely related design as each other. Then you go link them together and wonder why you get dropped ? ;)

If you got penalized for having the same article as any other site on the internet every news site would be banned and never rank for anything, but it's the exact opposite. You can search for a current news events and 5/10 first results will all link right to the same article on different sites..............

I think my site (by the way that is the only site I have on that host, and it has unique design and structure) got penalized because I copied little peaces of information from hundreds of other websites. Just a sentence or two here and there. For example when I ran copyscape's tool on most of my pages it would come up with 10 other sites in results. It would probably come up with more then 10 sites, but 10 is the limit for a free version.

So I'm not so sure about your theory yo-yo. I don't think it is so simple. In my opinion it must be a combination of thins you mentioned and many other components.