Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

how long before incoming links or in page changes effect serps

Let's assume that I get 10 new links today and that those links should boost me 5 positions. Assume
    also that Google indexes the pages that linked to me 2 days later.

When do I see the results? How long after Google indexes the pages that link me do I see the
    changes? Do I have to wait for around the 23rd-24th of the month, or faster?
    The same appplies for in pages changes I guess.

any ideas?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

one word "everflux" - search the forums for it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by googlemasters
    one word "everflux" - search the forums for it.
    so it is constantly changing?

Basically I should see better results if I get the right
    links in a matter of days? is this correct?

thanks,
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

IF Google finds the link, yes

In my recent experimentation Google is finding new pages but not actually following the links on new page until later (perhaps months later). Anyone else finding this? Add a link to an existing (pre-indexed page) and it's fine. New page and it's not following.

THEORY
    Could this be the simple explanation for 'sandbox'?

Jane
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JaneCompersNews
    IF Google finds the link, yes

In my recent experimentation Google is finding new pages but not actually following the links on new page until later (perhaps months later). Anyone else finding this? Add a link to an existing (pre-indexed page) and it's fine. New page and it's not following.

THEORY
    Could this be the simple explanation for 'sandbox'?

Jane
    I think you could be spot on there Jane - I have noticed the same, link from an established indexed page and a new page will be indexed within a few days, sometimes within 24 hours, but the links from the new page don't seem to count for quite a while. The new page does get PR usually on the second update after it is found.
  11. Contributing User

Yes. I have seen a similar problem.
  13. Contributing User

For us it seems to be roughly two months, give or take a week. I put up new pages fairly regularly, since things change in our market pretty fast. Usually the new pages don't show up until 7 or 8 weeks after I made them.

Boulder City NV Real Estate | Las Vegas Retirement Communities | Las Vegas Golf Homes | Dogs for adoption in Las Vegas
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Crichey
    For us it seems to be roughly two months, give or take a week. I put up new pages fairly regularly, since things change in our market pretty fast. Usually the new pages don't show up until 7 or 8 weeks after I made them.
    I think 7-8 weeks is too long, some of my new pages can be found after 1-2 weeks.......
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by 1969g1969
    I think 7-8 weeks is too long, some of my new pages can be found after 1-2 weeks.......
    It seems to depend on the PageRank of the linking page.
    With a PR7, the effects are visible within 36 hours :-)
  19. Contributing User

Certainly links to new sites aren't being counted immediately. I'd suspect a similar thing is happening to links from new pages too.
    Derryt
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It seems to depend on the PageRank of the linking page.
    With a PR7, the effects are visible within 36 hours
    Are you saying that if you get a link to a new page from a PR7 then the links on the new page are being followed?

I'm saying they are not. Hang on, if I give an example, it might explain it better....

Say you have a simple 3 page site - index and two internal pages. It's been around a while and all pages are listed in Google - it's irrelevant whether or not the pages have PR.

Now you add page 4 and page 5. You only link page 4 from the index page (the index page is already in Google), then link page 4 to page 5 (page 4 isn't in Google, you've only just made it). Within a couple of days page 4 is in Google BUT page 5 doesn't show up for a couple of months.

I've tested it myself on more than one site by using anchor text gobbledygook as the link from page 4 to page 5. New pages are being found (if they are linked to a page that's been in Google for a while) BUT the links on that new page are not followed for a few months. You can see this by searching for the gobbledygook.

Jane
  23. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by derryt
    Certainly links to new sites aren't being counted immediately. I'd suspect a similar thing is happening to links from new pages too.
    I've found no truth to that statement, especially the second part as I have been getting links from new sites and seeing immediate increases in the target words.

Your best bet is to continue going after links every day. The momentum will build and long after you have stopped seeking anchor text for that keyword, it will keep increasing. If I have a keyword that is way out there, I will see a spike in the first week then a very slow rise to the top.
  25. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Are you saying that if you get a link to a new page from a PR7 then the links on the new page are being followed?
    I thought the question was (and using your example). Is the anchor text used to link from the PR7 to the new page being counted in the serps quickly, therefore increasing your position? I haven't seen any evidence of Google then following all the links on the new page right away.(which is a different point but is what you are saying).

Sorry if I'm a bit confused
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm saying they are not. Hang on, if I give an example, it might explain it better....

Say you have a simple 3 page site - index and two internal pages. It's been around a while and all pages are listed in Google - it's irrelevant whether or not the pages have PR.

Now you add page 4 and page 5. You only link page 4 from the index page (the index page is already in Google), then link page 4 to page 5 (page 4 isn't in Google, you've only just made it). Within a couple of days page 4 is in Google BUT page 5 doesn't show up for a couple of months.

I've tested it myself on more than one site by using anchor text gobbledygook as the link from page 4 to page 5. New pages are being found (if they are linked to a page that's been in Google for a while) BUT the links on that new page are not followed for a few months. You can see this by searching for the gobbledygook.

Jane
    OK, I didn't understand your explanations, and I agree with you.
    This is a big problem when you want to index a bunch of pages... It may takes a few weeks.
    Have you tried to add random links to new internal pages from the index page, on a daily basis, so that Google indexes all linked pages?

Best,
    PR Weaver
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry if I'm a bit confused
    Don't worry, that's the story of my life!

Have you tried to add random links to new internal pages from the index page, on a daily basis, so that Google indexes all linked pages?
    Yep, that's what I've been doing to get around it BUT it only gets the page indexed, you still don't get the benefit of the anchor text links from that bunch of new pages for a couple of months.

Jane
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: