1. No Profile Picture
    aqi
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Now you add page 4 and page 5. You only link page 4 from the index page (the index page is already in Google), then link page 4 to page 5 (page 4 isn't in Google, you've only just made it). Within a couple of days page 4 is in Google BUT page 5 doesn't show up for a couple of months.
    I have all my pages in a sitemap, which being PR6 gets crawled all the time and all my pages show up.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have all my pages in a sitemap, which being PR6 gets crawled all the time and all my pages show up.
    Exactly right, your sitemap has been in G for a while? Therefore the links are being followed. I'm talking about the links on NEW pages not being followed.

Jane
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by JaneCompersNews
    Exactly right, your sitemap has been in G for a while? Therefore the links are being followed. I'm talking about the links on NEW pages not being followed.

Jane
    Now I understand Jane. I agree with your observation, however the original question was about links on new SITES affecting serps, not about links on new PAGES. (At least I think)

Although this thread has taken an interesting turn as I have wondered about others experience when adding internal links and how long until they saw a change in SERPS of the pages they are linking to.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ahhhhh

BUT I did mean pages AND sites (just to throw a spanner in the works). You can get new pages indexed but the links on those pages are not being followed.

So my point is....

Do you think that Google has put something in it's algo that will affect say, a links manager program? The 'Directory' page of the links manager would be indexed in a few days (because it will probably have a link from the index page-a page having been in G for some time) but the links wont be followed for a few months. When the links on the Directory page are eventually followed to the 'next level' G will only 'index' the pages of links, not follow them - at least for a few months.

Thereby stopping new/spam sites building and getting a ton of links using links manager and being top of the SERPS overnight.

As a side affect, new (and legit) sites are being hit by the same algo.

People talk about 'dampening', but I'm suspecting that the links from new pages aren't followed at all for a few months.

Jane
    Last edited by JaneCompersNews; Aug 26th, 2004 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Fingers don't type as fast as my head is working.
  9. No Profile Picture

Well I can only add my personal experience to this so I will write what I have found in example form:

We have a triangle system with the two sites on our side not being linked. (Like a triangle with a leg missing) Both are quality sites - Not spam or link farm etc.

We don't use an automatic link management system but use a very popular exchange which allows you to edit throughout the process.

I put in 50 requests on a Saturday and all are excepted. We place the links on a different site and then notify the other party where they are.

On Sunday we see that 20 of those people have placed our link for Keyword : Blue Widgets so we change the Anchor text to Red Cars.

Mon through Wednesday In Digital Point we move up 20 spots a day for Blue Widgets and then it levels out while the other keywords stay consistent.

Meanwhile, the other 30 have placed our links with the new totally unrelated keyword and when checking digital point that key phrase makes the same move over the next 3-5 days.

Both keywords then have a slow climb for the next month or so.

In this example, I have gone back to look at the age and PR of the sites and almost all of them are new (just a few months) with a PR0 (I know there hasnt been an update so its a bit unscientific).

If the Algo was so strict - x amount of months until links counted - I don't get why this would happen. I understand this is one site but thats all I have tested. I have no doubts that we don't get the full benefit of the 50 links right away but there is definately an immediate hit. Any Thoughts?

ps. Jane - Its always so quite in here this time of day- nice to have a little conversation
  11. ;-)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

great thread...

anyway... I just want to say I have added a sig link text bottom right of my sig.. I added yestaday to see what would happen... wham bam i took google some 8 hrs to visit this new page that is only linked from my sig...

now seochat remove all links in its archived pages ( I dont know the time scale maybe someone can help me out on that one) but i'm thinking all the thread i chat in are NEW pages correct...

whats your thoughts?

oh yeh ps... um the sig test is to see if sigs pass pr ect....
  13. No Profile Picture
    aqi
    Contributing User

Jane
    yeah i was just mentioning what i do to get around the problem
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Jason, could it be on page factors?

ps. Jane - Its always so quite in here this time of day- nice to have a little conversation
    Yes, isn't it

Gabs, excellent observation. None of my experiments have involved forums in any way. I was wondering about PHP.

Links manager is HTML, most little mom and pop sites are HTML (and they seem to be the ones mostly affected). I've just (the day before yesterday) picked up Link Swapper (free PHP links management system) as an experiment and bunged a couple of links in and you'll never guess.... I've just done a G search and the links HAVE been followed!

Jane
  17. No Profile Picture

Jason, could it be on page factors?
    I would say not as all I have been doing is adding general content which would have affected all keywords, not just one with laser accuracy that I happen to get a bunch of links for in the days preceding.

Links manager is HTML, most little mom and pop sites are HTML (and they seem to be the ones mostly affected). I've just (the day before yesterday) picked up Link Swapper (free PHP links management system) as an experiment and bunged a couple of links in and you'll never guess.... I've just done a G search and the links HAVE been followed!
    Is there a connection there? I hand do all my links and check them with www.clicksentry.com None of the process is automated. I have never used Links Manager because I have always felt by hand is best (although I have nothing to prove that, just personal preference), so I don't know how that would be influencing your situation.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Don't know. The only way to find out is to experiment.

My site is...
    http://www competitions com cn/

Tonight I'll set up a HTML 'Experiment' page (so it's a new page) and link it from my home page. On the 'Experiement' page I'll put a gobbledygook anchor text link to SEOChat.

I'll also add a gobbledygook anchor text link to SEOChat in the PHP 'Useful Links' (which is only two days old).

Let's see what happens

Unless anyone else has a similar experience that they can share now?

Jane
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have myself noticed that it seems that links from established websites can only take 2/3 days to be seen by GG ;) ... and that it takes weeks for new pages
    patience!
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

to clarify things:

the pages where I'm being linked from are already indexed by google, they're not new pages or anything

Originally Posted by -ZN-
    I have myself noticed that it seems that links from established websites can only take 2/3 days to be seen by GG ;) ... and that it takes weeks for new pages
    patience!
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Jasontnyc
    I've found no truth to that statement, especially the second part as I have been getting links from new sites and seeing immediate increases in the target words.
    I think you're talking about new sites linking to you, not new sites to Google. Different kettle of fish entirely.
    Derryt
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Walkman

Yes sorry, we got sidetracked with a possible theory on 'sandbox'.

Yes, Google will recognise the link and give you credit for it as soon as it finds and follows that link. Get a link from a quality established site and yes, it is possible that it could just take a few days.

Jane
  29. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by derryt
    I think you're talking about new sites linking to you, not new sites to Google. Different kettle of fish entirely.
    I just meant new sites period...like just uploaded in the last month or so