1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How Important is Placing keywords in your Homepage URL

I am building a new site and one designer is advising me that it is very important to have my homepage url include major keywords. For example I was going to just have my URL be www.NoahThePlumber.com but I think what he is suggesting would be to make it something like www.EllicottCityPlumbers.com

Cons - clients and direct direct traffic may be confused since they will try using www.NoahThePlumber.com

Pros - www.NoahThePlumber.com is taken and I may have trouble buying it from the guy even though he is currently not using it and its not an active site.
  3. Twitter: @barlow1984
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Personally I think that making a URl easy to remember for the user is work 100x more than the return you get from it in SEO terms.

The actual domain name holds little bearing on your SERP placings, yes it will help of course but there are factors that have much more importance.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by barlow1984
    Personally I think that making a URl easy to remember for the user is work 100x more than the return you get from it in SEO terms.

The actual domain name holds little bearing on your SERP placings, yes it will help of course but there are factors that have much more importance.
    I used to agree with you and others on this one more strongly barlow. Now I am not so sure. I have evidenciary data that supports KIDs as having a stronger influence on ranks than I once thought. Did something change or was I wrong before or am I wrong now? Need more data! the 24 hours in a day thing is holding me back.

Where I am stuck: 2 and 3 word KIDS registered more than 6 years ago spike on my chart. I can compare older data previously gathered that measured age of links together with PR to create a KID/AGE OF LINK score, but that data is 3 years old.

Does anyone else have data to either support or debunk KIDS as having an increased value today?
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Important or not that is a good domain name. Get it. You can decide later whether or not to use it. For $10.00 you will, if nothing else, keep your competitor from getting it.
    Originally Posted by mattpfau
    I am building a new site and one designer is advising me that it is very important to have my homepage url include major keywords. For example I was going to just have my URL be www.NoahThePlumber.com but I think what he is suggesting would be to make it something like www.EllicottCityPlumbers.com

Cons - clients and direct direct traffic may be confused since they will try using www.NoahThePlumber.com

Pros - www.NoahThePlumber.com is taken and I may have trouble buying it from the guy even though he is currently not using it and its not an active site.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah I just picked www.EllicottCityPlumbers.com up, thanks for the advice. I just left another voice mail for the owner of the www.NoahThePlumber.com domain name.

Now if I can't buy it, what in your guys' opinion would be the best alternative? I am starting to think having my domain and company name line up exactly or as close as possible would be ideal? Unless SEO wise EllicottCityPlumbers.com would really help.

Thanks for the feedback
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree

I agree with Balow, but having keywords in the url does increase your relevance - especially to users, and this obviously will increase the traffic to your website - as visitors will see their relevant search query and click through.

Regards
    Yoray Narainpersad

Originally Posted by barlow1984

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Since there is no spacing in a URL eg. EllicottCityPlumbers.com than how does the crawler even know how to distinguish between each word?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you have the ability to choose a URL that relates to your keyword it is definitely in your best interest to do so. Your anchor texts will be direct matches to your URL and therefore very relevant. If you can't find anything you like with a direct keyword match feel free to proceed without doing so. I would just recommend trying to do your best to find a match before giving up and picking the catchier name.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Yoray
    I agree with Balow, but having keywords in the url does increase your relevance - especially to users, and this obviously will increase the traffic to your website - as visitors will see their relevant search query and click through.

Regards
    Yoray Narainpersad
    You are right, Yoray

I found both of the facts playing equally important role, One is the Keyword Selection and other is Keyword placement within your content.

I am trying my hands on learning the use of keywords for optimizing the contents on my website <snip>.
    Last edited by ClickyB; Feb 7th, 2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: removed website name (not relevant)
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by mattpfau
    Since there is no spacing in a URL eg. EllicottCityPlumbers.com than how does the crawler even know how to distinguish between each word?
    Google has access to an enormous corpus of language data.

Next to stemming, this allows them to identify words in strings.

Keyword-in-domain is one of the most important (heavy return) factors for on-page SEO.

Yeah, there are some problems associated to KID's.
    - unintuitive, or ugly/spammy domainname vs. a brandable/recognisable/rememberable domainname.
    - You focus so much on this keyword, you can't really expand your market to other services or products.

To counter:
    If you focus is on new visitors and u care little for client retainment, then a KID imo is more important than a recognizable url.

If you think about it, and can find good keywords that allow growth in your business and niche, you can keep expanding the business, without overstepping domain name relevance.

Comments on this post

• mattpfau agrees : Thanks, great and very helpful post.

Following these recommendations should increase the likelihood that your site will show up consistently in the search results.
  21. No Profile Picture

Personally I think that making a URL easy and keyword oriented to remember for the user is work 100x more than the return you get from it in SEO terms.