Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How Important are non homepage inbound links

Hi I am just wondering how important inbound links other than to your homepage are.

For example, when i get my links (usually one-way) I get the other site to link to my homepage: ie like this

www.mywebsite.com

I use variations of my keywords in the anchor text. What would the effect be if I get them to deeplink to my website: ie like this

www.mywebsite.com/websection.htm

How does this effect SEO?

Ive noticed that in some instances in google, some sites have two pages in the top ten, their homepage, and then another page. Is this the effect of inbound deeplinking?

Any ideas?
  3. Contributing User

In a couple of ways:

1. It would encourage google to index deeper into your website, exspecailiy useful if you have very deep websites.

2. It could improve the ranking of that page in the search engines.

3. It would improve the Pagerank of the site making the internal links more effective so hench improve the ranking of the homepage.

4. I personaly think if a website only has links to it homepage, it stinks a bit of trying to manipulate the ranking, if you site has links to other pages it makes it lok more natural.

Ive noticed that in some instances in google, some sites have two pages in the top ten, their homepage, and then another page. Is this the effect of inbound deeplinking?
    Could well be.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes, what you say makes a lot of sense.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

In addition I think that attracting links to sub-pages will make Google to think that your link development process is natural. So it's a good way to go!
  9. PHP & MySQL guru
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Sniffer1
    most definitely!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for that, very useful advice!
  13. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Given a choice... I would rather have my first 500 inbound links hitting interior content rich pages instead of hitting the homepage. The interior pages usually compete for easier search terms and these early links will get them ranking. Some benefit will also transfer to the homepage.

When I do link requests (not trades, requests) I ask for them to hit a specific internal page that very closely matches the theme of the site that I am writing to. These give you a better boost in the SERPs than generic links. I have never yet asked for a link to my homepage - always specific page request. Homepage links develop naturally if you have a content rich site.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree linking to secondary pages is just good for any marketing efforts overall. Also remember that all your sub pages are linking to your home page so in a sense you are adding to the relevance and score of your home page. Its just a good idea.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

same over all strenght?

Hi,

I wonder if the all over strenght for the whole site would be the same if the link in comes to a second page??

What exactly is a one way link??

Lets say I have site www.a.com linking to my second page - I donīt give a link back from that page - but I give a link back to www.a.com from my link page. Would in this case the link above count as a one way or as a reci??
    thanks
  19. Contriving Muser
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by wildnis
    Hi,

I wonder if the all over strenght for the whole site would be the same if the link in comes to a second page??

What exactly is a one way link??

Lets say I have site www.a.com linking to my second page - I donīt give a link back from that page - but I give a link back to www.a.com from my link page. Would in this case the link above count as a one way or as a reci??
    thanks
    For me that's a reciprocal link - links on my sites generally come from a "resources" page or similar and point (usually) to the homepage (or root) of the link partner.
    I think the domain is jey here, however, as far as PR is concerned, I believe it would be passed to the receiving page rather than the domain.

FForgive me if I'm wrong, but this is what my experience "seems" to suggest.

MCS
    x
    Just another free Anonymity Thingy (yawn!) Like the world needs another, right?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

homepage is the place where you give a overview about your site. Not really the best place to SEO for many sites.
  23. Resident Black Hat

Originally Posted by Sniffer1
    Hi I am just wondering how important inbound links other than to your homepage are.

For example, when i get my links (usually one-way) I get the other site to link to my homepage: ie like this

www.mywebsite.com

I use variations of my keywords in the anchor text. What would the effect be if I get them to deeplink to my website: ie like this

www.mywebsite.com/websection.htm

How does this effect SEO?

Any ideas?
    Deeplinking is good if for no other reason that it makes your linking strategies appear more natural and Google is all about trying to figure out natural linking strats these days

G-Man
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

But then how do you organize your links and know whos linking to you? Alot of times, people say do a "link:" search on google, or yahoo, but if you put your domain into the "link" command, the results are only links going to your homepage. If not linking to internal pages is so important, how come it isn't mentioned more around here? Don't get me wrong, seochat does mention internal links alot, but never enough to the limit of tracking these links too...

Also, for example, if I have a website about video games and i cover playstation 2, xbox, and gamecube, and upon this I have 5 or so important pages under each system. Including the actual video game system pages, thats about 18+ important SEO pages I need to optimize. If internal linking is essential, how does one divide the linking up?

Thanks, I hope my questions make sense, i'm just a bit curious and skeptical
  27. Disregard Logic, Be Happy

Originally Posted by Vgescape
    But then how do you organize your links and know whos linking to you? Alot of times, people say do a "link:" search on google, or yahoo, but if you put your domain into the "link" command, the results are only links going to your homepage. If not linking to internal pages is so important, how come it isn't mentioned more around here? Don't get me wrong, seochat does mention internal links alot, but never enough to the limit of tracking these links too...

Also, for example, if I have a website about video games and i cover playstation 2, xbox, and gamecube, and upon this I have 5 or so important pages under each system. Including the actual video game system pages, thats about 18+ important SEO pages I need to optimize. If internal linking is essential, how does one divide the linking up?

Thanks, I hope my questions make sense, i'm just a bit curious and skeptical
    there is no need to divide the linking up, get inbound links to all of these pages building links to your internal pages, as compared to just your homepage, can offer HUGE benefits IMO. the rankings and traffic you gain through subpages, if anything, validates the rest of your site as relevent in alot of ways and builds PR (if anyone cares anymore) from within to feed your homepage rather than forcing the index to earn it all itself. i can't stress subpage link building enough. keep grabbing all the share you can for your homepage, but don't forget the foundation on which it is built.
    The Source of All Things Must Be Understood.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh, okay, because in all reality, my homepage has no keywords that will work for google, only my subpages. So, is there any need at all for me to link to my homepage? My main ways of getting links at first will be submitting to directories, doing site-wide affiliation with atleast 20 other video game sites (most video game sites participate in this), and by getting a link page with about 30 links and link exchanging with others. From this, I just don't see why I need to link to the domain if linking to the subdomain is just as helpful.

Overall, is a link to any page in your domain (subdomains) going to be as relevant as a whole as a link to your domain?
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: