1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How important is the anchor text for backlinks?

Hi all,

I was just wondering how important the anchor text played in your backlinking strategies? The reason I ask is that I recently had a jump on one of my sites from about 60 visitors/day to having 1,000 in one day. I looked where this traffic came from and it looks like one of my posts was picked up by a popular blog. But the anchor text used did not match anything related to the keywords I optimize for.

I'm certainly not complaining as getting exposure is great, but is a link (no matter what the anchor text is) a good thing, or if he used my keywords in the anchor would I be much better off?

The other reason I ask is because I see some people creating numerous internal links in this fashion. For instance, someone may have a site they want people to see in Google named "find green widgets". On the user's blog, he/she would blog about "green widgets", and each time the word "green widgets" was used an automatic was created internally to "find green widgets".

Anyways, I was just curious as most of my efforts have been based on optimized anchor text. But if that isn't a huge requirement, it might make things easier.

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've had people give me mixed opinions on this. I think that keyword rich anchor text is important for backlinking purposes, but if its a link that is getting you genuine traffic from another site and its working than that's what counts. Congrats on the traffic increase. Obviously if you had a jump like that than in this case the anchor text did not matter.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

1. Have you seen any ranking improvement for your keywords?

2. Is the anchor text keyword that the popular blog uses ranking for your page?

3. Maybe the blog is so popular, that the page receives 1000s of visits per day, and people are simply clicking on your link.

Without seeing your page and the blog page, nobody is going to be able to help you, but from the 3 points that I have mentioned above you will be able to find out what has caused the increase in traffic.

You have obviously created some quality content which has earned you a great link, so congrats from me as well.

I would look into what caused that blog to give you a link, and then keep repeating that scenario.
  7. Contributing User

Hi Guys... Hope everyone is having a great afternoon...

Ahhhhhh... The old anchor text question... Always a good one. And often confusing...

HERE IS MY DATA:

1) Anchor text is certainly in the algo. Nobody will deny that. My data: SEO campaigns I run with too many anchor text variations do more poorly than campaigns with tighter (i.e., fewer and more closely related) anchor text variations... No doubt that the anchor is in the algo and using a natural approach will get you there faster. In addition to my own data, I remember readying Matt Cutts saying that common variations of anchor text (plural vs singular / past tense vs future tense) was seen as a strong signal of NATURAL (something we all want). So think this though and make sure your anchor text targets are not too thin for the amount of links you are acquiring.

2) BIG CAUTION: Data point number 2: You can certainly over-anchor. I have run experiments using VERY few (and in 1 case only 1) anchor text for all link building. The experiment was VERY successful, but the SEO was not LOL

Wow - End of day and I'm out in left field... Let me be more clear: DON'T OVER ANCHOR ON A SINGLE TERM! By this I mean, too many links with the same anchor will trigger a filter and penalty... Usually keyword-specific, but if you persist, you can get the entire site to tank if you really set your mind to it...

Conclusions:

So, I have been in your shoes many times when I got a great link and wished the anchor text could have been better... (I think that what's you said, but now I've been babbling so long I'm not entirely sure)... In those cases, I do nothing. A great link is a great link... Enjoy it... There is no need to over-engineer.... Build links following a natural looking anchor text pattern, not too similar, but a healthy amount of overlap. Vary tenses and such. You will have to play with this yourself.

I remember reading here two years ago when one of the senior members said "i just discovered that I am under-anchoring my sites." That post left a BIG impact on me as I realized that while I had certainly discovered where the outer edges of the filters are through experimentation, it did not mean that I knew the optimal mix for anchor text for fasting ranking....

So there is really no way anybody is still reading this at this point, so I'm going to call it quits and get a beer... Enjoy!

Comments on this post

• JBacchi agrees : A little disjointed but some good points.
    • joshz agrees : very nice
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

Thank to you both. I know exactly why and where the link came from. It's actually a Sports blog written at yahoo.sports.com so it gets a fair amount of hits per day. Basically the writer in his piece looked for a bit of information and he so happened to find my blog. So in his writing, his sentence was something similar to "...and based on horrible previous versions, this new...". My link was included with the "horrible previous versions".

So again nothing to do with my content, but did give me a nice traffic spike for a bit! I just wasn't sure if that link would help me in the SERPs (haven't seen an increase yet).

Thanks!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Does relevancy of any keyword matters which we add on our links page of website? If yes then plz tel me does it has any affect on page rank or caching of that site too?
  13. Contributing User

I just wasn't sure if that link would help me in the SERPs (haven't seen an increase yet).
    When did the link go up? Re-reading your post I'm guessing this was fairly recently (within the last week or two).. If so, you would not likely see the full impact in the SERP.. You saw the direct traffic spike, which is great. But if you were going to have a SERP impact, that *could* take as long as 90 days to really be evident...
  15. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by purdue512
    Hi Guys... Hope everyone is having a great afternoon...

Ahhhhhh... The old anchor text question... Always a good one. And often confusing...

HERE IS MY DATA:

1) Anchor text is certainly in the algo. Nobody will deny that. My data: SEO campaigns I run with too many anchor text variations do more poorly than campaigns with tighter (i.e., fewer and more closely related) anchor text variations... No doubt that the anchor is in the algo and using a natural approach will get you there faster. In addition to my own data, I remember readying Matt Cutts saying that common variations of anchor text (plural vs singular / past tense vs future tense) was seen as a strong signal of NATURAL (something we all want). So think this though and make sure your anchor text targets are not too thin for the amount of links you are acquiring.

2) BIG CAUTION: Data point number 2: You can certainly over-anchor. I have run experiments using VERY few (and in 1 case only 1) anchor text for all link building. The experiment was VERY successful, but the SEO was not LOL

Wow - End of day and I'm out in left field... Let me be more clear: DON'T OVER ANCHOR ON A SINGLE TERM! By this I mean, too many links with the same anchor will trigger a filter and penalty... Usually keyword-specific, but if you persist, you can get the entire site to tank if you really set your mind to it...

Conclusions:

So, I have been in your shoes many times when I got a great link and wished the anchor text could have been better... (I think that what's you said, but now I've been babbling so long I'm not entirely sure)... In those cases, I do nothing. A great link is a great link... Enjoy it... There is no need to over-engineer.... Build links following a natural looking anchor text pattern, not too similar, but a healthy amount of overlap. Vary tenses and such. You will have to play with this yourself.

I remember reading here two years ago when one of the senior members said "i just discovered that I am under-anchoring my sites." That post left a BIG impact on me as I realized that while I had certainly discovered where the outer edges of the filters are through experimentation, it did not mean that I knew the optimal mix for anchor text for fasting ranking....

So there is really no way anybody is still reading this at this point, so I'm going to call it quits and get a beer... Enjoy!
    That's a whole lot of words to say "I don't know"!!

Truth is nobody knows for sure exactly. Currently my rule is never use the same anchor twice and this is working quite well for me.

Grab me a cold one while you're up
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

me too...but make it a Rolling Rock, eh!

not bad counsel here purdue512, but as Kernel noted, you end up with me thinking that this is ALL conjecture -- you acutally have not tested same...ie the need/no need for strong placed anchor text...

could be wrong tho....can you elucidate here for us all?

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

19. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

It would appear that you are able to produce great content that others want to link to. Stop worrying about what anchors people link to you with and spend your time producing more of the same.

Anchor text has a huge impact on rank so where you can include a good mix of terms that you want to rank for. When you gain links naturally however you usually don't have a say.

It's important to remember that links pass more than just anchor text. Trust, authority and relevance are also very important. Things you will get in abundance with natural links from quality sources.
  21. No Profile Picture

anchor text is important in backlinks since the anchor text is your keyword. And based on what happened you are gaining good quality traffic. But your problem was on the anchor text that was not matching.

At the moment your lucky to have this kind of traffic and also try to fix the anchor text if you have spare time. Its really quite important for you not to neglect this issue. I'm glad you found out that your anchor text are having problems but still you are gaining traffic.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi all,

Thanks again for all of the pointers! I'm glad it can take up to 90 days to see what effect a backlink will have on you in the SERPs. I thought it was a little quicker, which is why I find hard in SEO (waiting to see your results).

I was hoping I could also ask a couple more backlinking questions that have always had me confused.

1 - Do backlinks to your main site help the ranking of your various posts? I've always heard people say to write articles, post on blogs, etc to get backlinks. I have numerous posts (hundreds), and am wondering if I need to write a combination of 20 articles, and blog comments for my http://mysite.com/post page to get 20 backlinks? Or would numerous backlinks pointing to http://mysite.com help the ranking for http://mysite.com/post?

2 - Are there any other good backlinks methods besides articles and blog comments (especially for a site looking for backlinks to a high numer of posts)? I see one of my competitors gets a bit of backlinks from his submitted blog on blogged.com . His backlinks are found from someone searching for a term that is found in his post title and post content. This is creatign quite a few extras backlinks and am wondering if this is an effective service?

3 - Will internal links within your post content and related entries section help the ranking in the SERPs?

Thanks all!