Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Hayden Dell
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

How on earth is this site ranking #1?

I was just doing some surfing around and put into Google the keyword "mortgage services". Can somebody tell me why this site is ranking #1 for this keyword? From what I have learned in this forum it doesn't make sense... what do you guys think? Also, can anyone tell me why it says 6:49 pm next to title?

i mortgage services - 6:49pm
    iMS is offering lenders alternative lien products for HELOCS and second mortgage loans. We are standing behind the quality of our products through our ...
    www.imortgageservices(dot)com/ - 10k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by linkhunter
    I was just doing some surfing around and put into Google the keyword "mortgage services". Can somebody tell me why this site is ranking #1 for this keyword? From what I have learned in this forum it doesn't make sense... what do you guys think? Also, can anyone tell me why it says 6:49 pm next to title?

iMS is offering lenders alternative lien products for HELOCS and second mortgage loans. We are standing behind the quality of our products through our ...
    Well the last part's easy - 6:49 was the last time you accessed the page, you must have been logged into a google account.

The first part-probably a happy coincidence. First of all, the page is a PR5 and whatever that means any more, not too bad compared to the PR of the rest of the pages in the top 10. They don't have many back links, but they are almost all to the home page and use their domain name - and here's where the happy coincidence comes in, it's almost exactly the same as the search term you used. Throw in the fact that the domain name and page title is almost the exact search term you typed in - pretty easy way to get number 1.

Comments on this post

• raz agrees
    Last edited by roseberry; Nov 29th, 2007 at 11:10 AM.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by roseberry
    .................................................. ......................and here's where the happy coincidence comes in, it's almost exactly the same as the search term you used. Throw in the fact that the domain name and page title is almost the exact search term you typed in - pretty easy way to get number 1.
    Yeah it's real easy when dealing with an easy (=useless) term...

raz
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  7. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

What I am wondering is how much that link from google is worth...
    http://finance.google.com/finance?cid=2097905
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

becoz of domain name

itz becoz of domain name and the title may be the same thats why its showing it at number one
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seo4all
    itz becoz of domain name and the title may be the same thats why its showing it at number one
    so you mean to say that if the domain name and the title of the site is the same, it will be placed on top in SERP when you type it in the search box? I don't think so...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Hayden Dell

According to wordtracker there are 2580000 pages competing for the term "mortgage services".
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

According to wordtracker there are 2580000 pages competing for the term "mortgage services".
    Well I wouldn't be worried with what wordtracker says too much. The number that might (I say might, because it's not always the case) mean something is the number of results returned by Google. In this case it's 41,600,000 (the number in the top right).

Pretty decent size, and ostensibly, you'd think it fairly competitive. But when you start evaluating the pages ranked in the top 10, you'll find that they aren't huge sites with tons of backlinks and a high PageRank, which would suggest that it's not a keyword that many are targeting and the large number of results returned is probably more a result of many sites having those two (very common) words on the same page.

So while the number of results returned can serve as a barometer for how competitive a term might be, you have to dig deeper in some case, and truly evaluate each page that's ranked in the top 10-20. Based on that I'd say the keyword is not very competitive. (Unfortunately the overture kw tool is down or I'd find out that number and if it were high - several thousand - which I'm guessing it isn't - I would start targeting it, because a first page result is definitely within your grasp.)

So when raz says "easy (=useless)" he doesn't mean that there aren't other people showing up for it, he means it's not going to bring much traffic.
  17. Contributing User

I pulled the page as a PR3, but that matters little.

The page has no title! UGH Maybe their are working on it? I even checked it again after 5 min or so.

It does however have good textual support for the phrase "mortgage services"

Although few backlinks, many are high quality, and all are from different domains and C classes.

The site has 0 omitted results in search. They will however be hard pressed to get ANY of the other pages to rank. Apparently, they must think they only have a main page, as the others have been thoroughly neglected.

In it's current state...In my opinion it shouldn't be there. But add a quality title, and it might be deserving, as it is a pretty clean page.

--Melanie
  19. No Profile Picture
    Hayden Dell

I remember reading a post that said that Google ignores an "i" at the beginning of a URL, this might be a case in point. imortgageservices(dot)com ranking #1 for the term "mortgage services". Any truth to this?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Linkhunter according to Google's own help pages they still ignore some characters "in the search results." Of course there is no clarification but I remember reading the same thing a few years ago.

I noticed the Copyright hasn't been changed in 3+ years and using the wayback archive the layout is identical to 36 months ago. Literally a few words have changed but nothing else.

There are some good, old, backlinks from high ranking sites which help as well I would think. On the east coast I get a PR of 5 FWIW.
  23. Contributing User

Where did you get this nonsense from? Wordtracker does not provide statistics about how many pages compete for a search term. and as far as the search term "mortgage services" is concerned wordtracker indicates 58 searches every 24 hours... NO BIG DEAL.... just like I said before, easy (=useless) term.

raz
  25. Contributing User

Building on the previous post I feel compled to add that I compete for money terms and if ranking for a money term was as simple as mentioning the terms in the URL then I would have dominated the field... And I can assure you that dominating mortgage terms in the search engines is synonymous with retiring very very very rich within about a year...

raz
  27. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I remember reading a post that said that Google ignores an "i" at the beginning of a URL, this might be a case in point. imortgageservices(dot)com ranking #1 for the term "mortgage services". Any truth to this?
    You're assuming that Google ranks are solely based on "keyword in domain name"...

Without looking I'd say with a 100% guarantee that their ranks are based on "links"... with a little wee-bit of help from everything else.

Comments on this post

• subzero27 agrees
  29. No Profile Picture
    Hayden Dell

Raz... I pulled this off of the Wordtracker site... what do you make of it? This is where I got the 2580000 figure from.

3.51. What does the competing column mean?
    Each keyword has been submitted to the search engine and the number of competing web pages given in response.

The lower the competition the easier you will find it to reach the top using this keyword.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: