1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How does a website with 400BL beat a website with 4000BL

How does a site with 400 links outrank a website with 4000 links.

I've also seen websites with 9 links outrank websites with 20,000.

How can I avoid this happening to me? I want to build around 3k links as part of my plan, and want to know how I can avoid this. What are some things I can do to build the highest quality links possible?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Number of Backlinks are not a good metric as they include sitewide links.

A good metric would be "links from different domains".

After that "links from different domains from the country you are searching in".

Also "Links from REAL domains". As opposed to parked domains.

google.co.uk needs co.uk links.

google.de needs .de links etc.

What kind of 3k links are you building?

If its 3k links on 3k related, healthy PR8 sites with no other OBL then you can rank for EVERYTHING, like "green" or "foot".

If its 3k comment links, then you may not even be able to rank for "skdjsdskdksdjsd in sdsdsdsdville 434343street"

What metrics do you use to asses link target value?

Do you buy the links or do you spam them?

Depending on your strategy there are different possible scenarios.

There are also other factors, like Onpage optimization and freshness.

If you try to rank an pure ecommerce site for a pure information KW your gonna have a bad time.
    Last edited by atentat; Aug 31st, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For my 3k backlinks, I am using social media signals, 8 different types of backlinks (forums, directories, web 2.0s, blogs, social bookmarking, articles, press releases, link exchanges), nofollow diversity, and 15-20% of my links will be pr 3-6, I am not sure if I can control OBL though, its hard to find blogs with low OBL though, I have found them many times, but I have yet to encounter one with a low OBL. About 20% of my links will be .org/.gov./.edu and I am building 60 links daily. Im also using unique content as part of my strategy.

And my KW is not informational.

Am I going the right way?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by backlinker
    For my 3k backlinks, I am using social media signals, 8 different types of backlinks (forums, directories, web 2.0s, blogs, social bookmarking, articles, press releases, link exchanges), nofollow diversity, and 15-20% of my links will be pr 3-6, I am not sure if I can control OBL though, its hard to find blogs with low OBL though, I have found them many times, but I have yet to encounter one with a low OBL. About 20% of my links will be .org/.gov./.edu and I am building 60 links daily. Im also using unique content as part of my strategy.

And my KW is not informational.

Am I going the right way?
    Are you going the right way?

It depends what type of KW you want to rank for.

If its a tough Mofo KW this may not be enough.

If you are paying money you can expect some quality. Go for the high PR pages especially (=/= high PR domain!).

If you are spamming, you may have a hard time to rank for "car" or "dog". Especially in the long run.

Personally I look at search visibility in Searchmetrics. If it has obvious signs of PANDA and PENGUIN I dont go for it.

If you have money to spend go for High PR sitewide links from LEGIT sites. (eg National Foot-ache association, if you want to rank for "foot").
    Last edited by atentat; Aug 31st, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The keyword is "restaurant supply" on google international.

Does it look difficult to outrank starting from the middle-bottom of the page?

I might not even do ecommerce, I might just keep it with the inventory since we're not sure what we want to do with it yet. If content helps rank it, then thats what Ill use.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

there is no such thing as international google. its geo-dependent always.

I checked the query, the guys at the top have thousands of domain links, lots of trust&citation flow.

Yeah I think its pretty hard to get there, but if you are already at the first page maybe you can do it.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It definitely hard, I've never had a hard time making a strategy and this is really difficult for me.

They all seem to use link exchanges from private directories and partner companies though. Looks time-consuming, but not too hard.

update: just checked out their pr's finally and noticed the one with 400 that beat the one with 4000 had higher quality links, explains alot.
    Last edited by backlinker; Aug 31st, 2013 at 05:29 PM.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

the one with 400 that beat the one with 4000 had higher quality links, explains alot.
    It does indeed and it is the most basic lesson in link-building - quality not quantity. The '60 links a day' plan might have done something for you 18-24 months ago but it is dead in the water mucking about now.

Try to get one really good backlink per week and it will do you better than the 360 you create messing around commenting on blogs and what not ...

Comments on this post

• TcxAnthony agrees
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Doodled
    It does indeed and it is the most basic lesson in link-building - quality not quantity. The '60 links a day' plan might have done something for you 18-24 months ago but it is dead in the water mucking about now.

Try to get one really good backlink per week and it will do you better than the 360 you create messing around commenting on blogs and what not ...
    Thanks, I'll try that out.

I don't have a hard time finding pr 7 links in the wrong niche. Do you think I should use them?
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I don't have a hard time finding pr 7 links in the wrong niche. Do you think I should use them?
    There is much more to link building than PR:

- if the PR is high but there are lots of outbound links on the page then any link juice you receive will be minimal so it negates the effort
    - if the PR of the home page is high it doesn't follow that the PR of the page where you get your link will be
    - If the link you get is not in the context of the page (within the main article for example) but in some list of links to one side it dampens the effect.
    - If the PR is high but for no real reason it maybe that the site has a high PR through Blackhat work which means that at any time it could lose its PR and the effectiveness of the link to your site will go with it.

Question: If you rank fairly well you must be getting a reasonable amount of traffic coming through your website. If so what is wrong with your website that some of these visitors do not want to share/create links of their own free will - and thus taking the link building activity off your shoulders?
  21. No Profile Picture

Google signals are wide complicated, for sure quality over quantity matters.
  23. No Profile Picture

Agree Quality over Quantity matters, but also what Doodled said is dead on. Getting quality links is more then just the PR, you have to go into more depth then that. Then also ask yourself, if your main objective is outranking someone with more backlinks then you, what are the other differences between your sites. Maybe look at your competitors backlinks ahead of you and see where they come from to get a better idea.
    A good case study would be to take something in a similar niche that is doing what you want to be doing...ranking higher then a competitor with less backlinks. Besides looking into the backlinks of both sites, what else does the higher ranking site have that the lower ranking site does not? Better useability, social, content, could all be factors here. Buying a bunch of bulk links just to outrank someone is pretty dead these days. Its quality backlinks, and even then, it's just one piece of the puzzle.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks again everyone for replying .

Heres an update
    Im planning a link building and social media strategy, and in terms of on page optimization, I'm also going to focus on that. Those analysis tools can only show you 20 seo factors max, so what I'm actually planning on doing is building quality links without really looking at competitors too much. I've ranked sites before with quality links.

But I finally noticed a difference. The top candidates have STRONG social media signals while the bottom have awfully weak signals. I looked at everything, I noticed most profiles were similar, except for social media signals.

Now I know what direction to take.
  27. No Profile Picture

The quality of the links is what is important. The 400 links may be high-quality and relevant backlinks from authority sites and they pass more juice than spam links. You have good strategy for your backlinking campaign. If you want, you can build some backlinks to your contextual backlinks( aka 2nd tier). That way they will gain PR faster and will pass more juice.