Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

About spammy Links

Hi,

Recently our site was hit by penguin update and lost rankings.we found that lot of external Spam links to our site.We sent request mails to remove our site links from their site..some response only we got..but most of them are not willing to remove links. we are regularly sending the followup mails. Yet we got no replies!

what is the next step we have to follow in this Spam link cases?

with regards,
    Martha
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Martha
    They won't because they can't...they spam your links to spammy blogs where they have no editing privileges so they have no way to edit them.
    What you could do is gather other links that will help...not spammy ones and build the link juice you lost from the devalued links.
    And don't buy links like you did last time..I'll bet it was a deal you couldn't resist..right? cheap and nothing but great days ahead.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your feeback. yep it's true...Is there any other ways to improve SERP of our site?
  7. No Profile Picture

you can improve the ranks of your site by making backlinks. for this Post blog and article on high PR sites, keep in mind that content should be fresh and original.
  9. No Profile Picture

Each and every link can't be removed. I m getting these kind of emails regularly. Start getting good backlinks. Build quality backlinks which google loves.
    Start guest posting on good websites in your niche. These are contextual backlinks and they will stick for longer period of time.
  11. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I see a few problems here:

1. Are you sure it's Penguin?
    2. If it is Penguin, no one knows for sure if removing links will help. Some in this forum believe that it will accomplish nothing.
    3. *If* removing links will help, then many believe you have to get 80-95% removed. When I have done unnatural link penalty removal (different than Penguin but the same process for getting links removed) I have had a success rate of 15-20%. This may satisfy Google for a manual warning, but isn't going to cut it for an algorithmic issue like Penguin.
    4. No sites are likely to recover from Penguin until we get a Penguin refresh. The last one was May 25 and we are eagerly awaiting the next.
    5. We won't know the best way to recover until the next refresh happens and we get some data on what has worked (and not worked) for sites.
    6. If the Penguin problem is severe then the site may not be able to recover.
    THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO UNNATURAL LINKS RECOVERY by Dr. Marie Haynes.
    Click here to sign up for my Google Penalty Newsletter.
    Traffic Drop Audits. and Unnatural links penalty recovery help.
  13. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    The last one was May 25 and we are eagerly awaiting the next.
    I now wonder if there will be one at all. Maybe it is now just incorporated in the algo and is happening on an instantaneous basis. Maybe a refresh as such will only come if they tweak the penguin algo to make it do something different. Maybe we are now waiting for something which won’t come….
    Live the moment
  15. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

There's a good possibility behind that...if ya think about it what would they really refresh?...return juice to the link networks they popped? I doubt that...however they might tweak it and if they did that it would be almost impossible to know what links took the dive.
  17. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    There's a good possibility behind that...if ya think about it what would they really refresh?...return juice to the link networks they popped? I doubt that...however they might tweak it and if they did that it would be almost impossible to know what links took the dive.
    Yep... Penguin has changed the way link juice is transferred… The changes are most likely permanent.. They happen as part of the overall algo. I to cannot really see what a refresh as such would do. I think they changed something a few weeks ago to do with geo relevance or at least how geo is determined. This maybe more the types of effects we see tweaks to the algo not wholesale refresh’s like with panda. This is because panda is doing something quite different from day to day algo stuff… So making changes and waiting for a refresh to recover may be a very long wait…
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by marthavac
    Hi,

Recently our site was hit by penguin update and lost rankings.we found that lot of external Spam links to our site.We sent request mails to remove our site links from their site..some response only we got..but most of them are not willing to remove links. we are regularly sending the followup mails. Yet we got no replies!

what is the next step we have to follow in this Spam link cases?

with regards,
    Martha
    Well Spammer submit their link because they give them backlinks, so forget about that they remove links from your site. Now you should make some changes to your site. For example you should restrict person who is submitting to submit only valuable links. And after you should have authority to block them and change their link and article. And last but least, you should give other person to review any user to give comment and if it is spam then to block them as a spammer.
  21. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

I now wonder if there will be one at all. Maybe it is now just incorporated in the algo and is happening on an instantaneous basis. Maybe a refresh as such will only come if they tweak the penguin algo to make it do something different. Maybe we are now waiting for something which won’t come….
    It's certainly possible. However, I'm hanging on Matt Cutts' tweet where he says,

Minor weather report: We pushed 1st Penguin algo data refresh an hour ago. Affects <0.1% of English searches. Context: http://goo.gl/4f7Pq
    If May 25 was the first Penguin refresh then it stands to reason that there should be more.

It is certainly possible that they have refreshed the algo and not told us though.

Matt did say that recovery from Penguin was possible. Here is a quote from an interview between Matt Cutts and Danny Sullivan at SMX advanced on June 5, 2012:

Danny Sullivan: If you were hit by Penguin and Panda, should I just give up?

Matt Cutts: Sometimes, but both are algorithmic and if you change the site and your signals, then you can come back.
    He did also say elsewhere that there are sites that have been hit so strongly by Penguin that recovery is unlikely and some of those webmasters should just start over.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : Thanks marie..
  23. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Matt did say that recovery from Penguin was possible. Here is a quote from an interview between Matt Cutts and Danny Sullivan at SMX advanced on June 5, 2012:

He did also say elsewhere that there are sites that have been hit so strongly by Penguin that recovery is unlikely and some of those webmasters should just start over.
    But does that mean we will have updates or refreshes with Penguin? Or does it mean Penguin penalties can recover in time regardless to refreshes?

For example, maybe the algo checks the sites which have been punished in x days or months to see what they have checked?

So IMO, its well worth trying to recover and keeping an close eye to see if what your doing have or is likely to make any changes, but Matt wasn't exactly clear on whether Penguin will have refreshes or if it simply rechecks those sites again at a later date to see if they have learnt the lesson so to speak?!

I know that Penguin is an algo penalty not a manual penalty, but if the reason behind the penalty wasn't your doing, IE a competitor built all those spammy links, would a reconsideration request not be worth trying if you can show you have tried to have the bad links removed and it wasn't you that had built them etc?

I haven't had any sites punished by Penguin, so I wouldn't know if that would work, so thought it was worth asking for the OP, if anyone knows?
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  25. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

Matt wasn't exactly clear on whether Penguin will have refreshes or if it simply rechecks those sites again at a later date to see if they have learnt the lesson so to speak?!
    Matt Cutts tweeted that May 25 was the [b]first[b] Penguin refresh. That says to me that there are more to come.

I know that Penguin is an algo penalty not a manual penalty, but if the reason behind the penalty wasn't your doing, IE a competitor built all those spammy links, would a reconsideration request not be worth trying if you can show you have tried to have the bad links removed and it wasn't you that had built them etc?
    From what I have seen, if you file a reconsideration request when there is no manual warning in WMT you always get a message back saying that no manual action had been taken on your site. Really, I can't see how, with the current algo, Google could do it any differently. If your site was manually penalized then they can go in and remove the penalty. But, if you're affected by the algorithm (i.e. Penguin) they can't manually erase that.
  27. SEO Consultant

Matt Cutts tweeted that May 25 was the [b]first[b] Penguin refresh. That says to me that there are more to come.

From what I have seen, if you file a reconsideration request when there is no manual warning in WMT you always get a message back saying that no manual action had been taken on your site. Really, I can't see how, with the current algo, Google could do it any differently. If your site was manually penalized then they can go in and remove the penalty. But, if you're affected by the algorithm (i.e. Penguin) they can't manually erase that.
    So it's almost as if Google planned this to happen as it did.

Shake up the SEO world with a algo update, Penguin...

Then rattle cage even more (possibly with data from Penguin?) to issue the manual warnings of unnatural links.

Do you believe this was done on purpose to work hand-in-hand with algo update + manual review?

The more I think about it, the more it starts to make logistical sense to me... I'm curious Marie, do you have any data on ratios of sites affected by Penguin:affected by Penguin AND unnatural link penalty?

Comments on this post

• Dr.Marie agrees
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  29. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Yeah that does make sense, but who's to say that wasn't Matt's way of covering up how Penguin penalties are removed (or how ever you want to word recovering from it lol)?

I'm not saying I don't agree with you, it certainly sounds like people will have to wait for a refresh to recover, but google have not official said that's the case so I would pass off the other option I suggested. Still that's just speculation or a guess at who it could work being as we still haven't heard anything about any refreshes coming in the future?

Yeah I do generally agree to that, but what if your site has been wrongly penalised of penalised for negative seo from a competitor that google didn't pick up on?

I know google said you could send reconsideration request in for that (that's what you and fathom mentioned in the Jackets forum), so I would have thought they might have something to a similar effect for this type of situation too? maybe? I don't know just asking to see if there is anything the OP might be able to try?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: