1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Web site increasing in links but losing traffic and bot crawls

My website in Mid June I started loosing Google bot crawls.

They were on a steady rise and had reached about 2000 per day in June then I started to loose crawl stats down to 200.

My Google impressions are down as well, same time frame from 2000 to 600 and my rankings are down too.

However my links according to webmaster tools is 3200 up from 2300 from mid June.

In June I did change the way Google sees my non existent pages to show a 410 response. So now I have 1300 with a 410 response instead of my previous 1300 or so soft 404?

Does this make sense to anyone? Ant tips would be appreciated.

It appears as though as the number of 410 responses rise my crawl and ranking fall.
    Last edited by jkmjkmjkm; Sep 20th, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
  3. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by jkmjkmjkm
    My website in Mid June I started loosing Google bot crawls.

They were on a steady rise and had reached about 2000 per day in June then I started to loose crawl stats down to 200.

My Google impressions are down as well, same time frame from 2000 to 600 and my rankings are down too.

However my links according to webmaster tools is 3200 up from 2300 from mid June.

In June I did change the way Google sees my non existent pages to show a 410 response. So now I have 1300 with a 410 response instead of my previous 1300 or so soft 404?

Does this make sense to anyone? Ant tips would be appreciated.

It appears as though as the number of 410 responses rise my crawl and ranking fall.
    I am doubtful that this is the cause but it's hard to know for sure. There's a way to check though: if in doubt, change it back to how it was before and see if it helps.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

It's hard to say without seeing the site. May be several reasons, including where the incoming link from and how you build the internal structure of links on the site. Google may be thrown from the index a page type CATEGORY and did not see the sub-pages? But this is just guessing without seeing the website.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo