Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page:
  1. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Since your on a roll here Josh.
    I'm a little confused...Question?

Steve said:

I said:

and you say

and your saying:
    THIS IS A NORMAL WEB DEVELOPMENT METHOD USED TO ADD INTERACTIVITY AND STYLE TO A PAGE. And to go with that method?

Your suggesting it's normal practice to create a page and type out all the questions and answers for Google? What interaction and style will this page have with: question...answer...question...answer...question.. .answer...
    all the way down the page? I would assume the page would be huge.

You think this is acceptable for what he want's to do?

I can understand Google can and will scan JS, AJAX, etc. and it will find the linked source files via the HTML/PHP code.

That's not what he said he was going to do...he wants to create a page of question and answer links so he can get google to link to em.
    Well thats how I understood his comment.
    Please un-confuse me.
    LOL, now I'm getting confused.

Okay, let me try to answer your questions...

The first thing is, I think you're confused. When a user searches for the questions, the page found is not a static page, it's a dynamic page generate by the users; thus, only valid for that session and moreover, it woulnd't have any links pointing to it. So there would be no problem with duplicate content.

Any methods that has been mentioned works fine with UX and SEO. Either the AJAX slideout method, the search or a static display. Test/Marie, I'm sorry if I'm confusing you guys - all these different methods of the FAQ require different methods of programming and user interaction - so just because one method might be poor for SEO/etc does not mean it reflect all and vice versa. Different methods have different drawbacks and advantages. Which is (correct me if I'm wrong) what the OP is entertaining - different situations and how Google would react. If my count is up, I think we've covered 3 variations to this problem with different possible solutions.

Maybe I'm just going on too much and confusing myself. It's very well possible.

Test, when you mention scanning AJAX that was to my first reference to the original question based on the FAQ's as they currently sit, not in our hypothetical searching/ask question situation that just recently came up. The quote you took from me was my direct response to the initial question - sorry if that's confusion with the different possible solutions for this.

I hope that unconfused you, bud.

Originally Posted by SteveA
    But I don't know how else to get Google to see and appreciate my content. I really do have good content and will give visitors a good user experience - the things Google looks for. I just don't know how to make Google see that. I'm certainly open to any suggestions.

Steve
    Are you using a custom coded site or a CMS such as WordPress or Joomla? If the latter, there may be some existing plugins that could help and save time?

Originally Posted by DMN Webmaster
    I am going to expand on Joshz's idea above,

With the above suggestion that Joshz has made, suppose you ...

Using Ajax, make the drop down that contains the static list respond as per Google Instant, ie display guestions as you type out the answer.
    That's a pretty good idea. Like an autocomplete. Adding fuel to the complication fire ;-)

Edit: scratch that idea: http://www.webpronews.com/patent-tro...mplete-2012-07
    Last edited by joshz; Sep 21st, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

DMN,

Let me see if I'm following you and Josh.

Originally Posted by joshz
    Edit: Thinking about it. Why not make a call to serve up the questions from the DB on the archive page, as a static list? That way there's little work for you to do when 'importing' data and then your users can still search said dB with the ability to 'ask'. Those results from their 'answer' then would be attached to their session token and thus, voiding upon exit, eliminated any risk of duplicate content... ;
    The first idea in this is to build the list of questions that appears on the archive page by querying the database for all the questions it holds. No problem.

Then there's the idea of attaching a visitor's answers to their session token, so it goes away when the session is torn down when the browser exists, and we thus avoid duplicate content.

I'm having some trouble with this one. First, by "attaching an answer to a session token" I assume you mean to place the answer into a session variable. But I don't see the duplicate content issue that you're trying to avoid. Google isn't going see the visitor's results. It's the Google bot that has to see duplicate data before Google complains and it's nowhere in this picture.

Next you have
    Using Ajax, make the drop down that contains the static list respond as per Google Instant, ie display guestions as you type out the answer.
    You lost me here. I can see possibly displaying the matching questions from the database as the user types in his or her question, but you have "as you type out the answer."

Next you talk about ways to give this archived FAQ more functionality for the visitor but I'm not really interested in moving in that direction. The visitor is handled the way I want by the ask function. The only purpose of inserting the archived FAQ is to get the Google bot to index the database information and I think I can do that by having each question be a link to a PHP page that 1) displays the question, 2) pulls the answer from the database, and 3) displays the answer. I'm not sure why I would want to do any more work than that on the archived FAQ.

Steve
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Josh,

While I was thinking out my response that I posted at 10:36 you made a post that I didn't see so I'm a little behind. I'll just respond to your question:

Are you using a custom coded site or a CMS such as WordPress or Joomla? If the latter, there may be some existing plugins that could help and save time?
    It's all custom PHP.
  7. Here to help
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by SteveA
    DMN,

I'm having some trouble with this one. First, by "attaching an answer to a session token" I assume you mean to place the answer into a session variable. But I don't see the duplicate content issue that you're trying to avoid. Google isn't going see the visitor's results. It's the Google bot that has to see duplicate data before Google complains and it's nowhere in this picture.

Next you have

You lost me here. I can see possibly displaying the matching questions from the database as the user types in his or her question, but you have "as you type out the answer."

Next you talk about ways to give this archived FAQ more functionality for the visitor but I'm not really interested in moving in that direction. The visitor is handled the way I want by the ask function. The only purpose of inserting the archived FAQ is to get the Google bot to index the database information and I think I can do that by having each question be a link to a PHP page that 1) displays the question, 2) pulls the answer from the database, and 3) displays the answer. I'm not sure why I would want to do any more work than that on the archived FAQ.

Steve
    First to answer your last question first. A TYPEO on my part, I used answer instead of question. I will go back and edit to correct the post. Thank you for pointing that error out. Sorry to have confused you.

Now your first question....

First this has nothing to do with sessions. But it could if you wanted.

I can see the confusion. You have to have an understanding of SQL (Sequential Query Logic)

SQL is much much faster. It is too complicated a subject to explain here. It would require a thread of it's own.

Go to W3Schools and read up on SQL.

Wordpress is based on MySql. One of the reasons if you choose the right theme, Wordpress is so fast.

Each question is stored in a database and the record id is used as an index to locate the answers(s) to display.

A page designed this way would be unique for the most part about 99 percent of the time, but that would be dependent on the questions asked and the answers displayed.

Not trying to be short, but it really is a complicated subject to discuss if you have no understanding of SQL.

JMO
    Here to Help, Nothing More.....
    Good SEO isn't Cheap and Cheap SEO isn't Good !!
  9. Here to help
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by joshz
    That's a pretty good idea. Like an autocomplete. Adding fuel to the complication fire ;-)

Edit: scratch that idea: http://www.webpronews.com/patent-tro...mplete-2012-07
    I would wait before making any decision....

from that page linked above...
    "Fortunately, the lawsuit brought by Data Carriers doesnít seem to hold much merit."
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page: