1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How do you organize your sitemap . html?

Lets say I have an ecommerce site with 300 categories containing a total of 10,000 products. There is a separate page for each category and product. Giving the site at least 10,300 pages.

How would you suggest making a sitemap page for this website?

I could put all the links on to one page but then thats far more than the 100 links per page SEO recommendation and its not very useful for living human visitors either.

I could break the sitemap up into several pages but taken far enough I am then simply duplicating the structure of the site itself. Rather defeating the point of a sitemap.

Or I could just not list everything on the sitemap but maybe pick the top destinations that people may be looking for.

Those are my thoughts, what would/do the rest of you do with sitemaps and large sites?

Thanks in advance;
    pm
  3. No Profile Picture

Use Google sitemap. it is best
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by poopmonkey
    Lets say I have an ecommerce site with 300 categories containing a total of 10,000 products. There is a separate page for each category and product. Giving the site at least 10,300 pages.

How would you suggest making a sitemap page for this website?

I could put all the links on to one page but then thats far more than the 100 links per page SEO recommendation and its not very useful for living human visitors either.

I could break the sitemap up into several pages but taken far enough I am then simply duplicating the structure of the site itself. Rather defeating the point of a sitemap.

Or I could just not list everything on the sitemap but maybe pick the top destinations that people may be looking for.

Those are my thoughts, what would/do the rest of you do with sitemaps and large sites?

Thanks in advance;
    pm
    If you are talking about the sitemap for user (.html), then http://www.google.com/sitemap.html is the best example you could do with your site.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would take the top categories and use them in a sitemap.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Let your user sitemap contain just the top level or top 2 levels of categories. Getting down up to the base level products and pages will make it too unwieldy.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Sitemap is an important for both visitors as well as search engine. Your are talking about sitemap .html; According to Google guideline sitemap should contain 100 links only If your sitemap is bigger break it in part and build sitemap.

I agree with ICHORS - He has given the best and appropriate solutions to build sitemap.... (http:// www.google .com/sitemap.html)