a recent discussion http://forums.seochat.com/t38480/s.html

Comments on this post

• GaryTheScubaGuy
    SEO is not SPAM – Matt Cutts
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by dzine
    a recent discussion http://forums.seochat.com/t38480/s.html
    Yes I was part of that discussion, but there aren't any optimization techniques for PDF explained.

Comments on this post

• : No need to disagree with him as he was trying to help - bad form on your part there and i if i was Dzine i would never offer to help you again
    • Jasontnyc agrees : Just to counter-act the rep police
  7. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

I'm testing those theories from the other thread. So far I've found that G takes longer to index PDFs (probably because of the larger file size). I'm also noticing that a lot of the SERPs point to our catalog page which links to the PDFs instead of the PDFs themselves, which is wierd but OK. I'm not seeing much difference between the different optimization techniques between the different files. Some I added KWs and descriptions, some I didn't, etc. Other than that, its anyone's guess!
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I have a few pdf files being indexed, at the moment it seems to be best to keep things as simple as possible, no heavy graphics, or file sizes, if your converting from word use just 1 H1 style heading per page and several smaller H2 sub headings with related but not duplicate use of the main keywords. If you have images or graphs make sure to label them underneath in text. Finally I make sure that links contain good anchor text.

In addition I also include the main keywords in the properties, but not in a spammy manner and make sure the other properties are complete and keyword/theme focused. Finally I place the pdf on a descriptive page that goes further to describes the pdf content and includes the document title in the anchor text. Basically I'm trying to apply standard html seo rules as much as possible and it seems to be OK.

Comments on this post

• GaryTheScubaGuy agrees : Thanks Andy, thats what I was looking for
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Since it's more difficult to get a pdf indexed and you can't controll it as much as html, why not put the same content in a properly optimized html page? Create a "web version" graphic to place next to the link to the html page, using your keywords as the link text if possible. Or maybe two link graphics, one for html and one for pdf.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by rmccarley
    I'm testing those theories from the other thread. So far I've found that G takes longer to index PDFs (probably because of the larger file size). I'm also noticing that a lot of the SERPs point to our catalog page which links to the PDFs instead of the PDFs themselves, which is wierd but OK. I'm not seeing much difference between the different optimization techniques between the different files. Some I added KWs and descriptions, some I didn't, etc. Other than that, its anyone's guess!
    I wonder if Google has some type of parameer set up for "catalog".

I have the same situation with my bcentral cataog file.
  15. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Whitesell - That's the plan... eventually. It's going to be a lot of work to get all those pages converted to HTML and I just don't have the time right now.

GaryTheScubaGuy - Do mean like the "Links" page rumour? I'm not sure. But if someone does a search for "Brand X Widget", they get pointed to my catalog.php page - even though that term isn't there! I think of it as a friendly side-effect. ;)

It seemed like G was only displaying PDFs for a while. Now hardly any. I'm guessing that has to do with people complaining about slow loads or even plug-ins. Used to see a lot more .doc and .txt files too.