Thread: How to do SEO

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

How to do SEO

Having only been at this a year, I thought I had at least a handle of what black hat SEO was all about, what we werenít supposed to do, what would hurt our SERPS in the long run and what would get us banned.

Also for a year, we have been struggling against the 8000 lbs guerrilla in our space who has dozens if not hundreds of those nasty affiliate no content or duplicate content sites and yet continues to rank #1 in the SERPS for any meaningful keyword in our business on Google and Yahoo.

This morning I ran across yet another of their pseudo affiliate sites- entirely devoid of content, only pages of links back to their products- and developed by an SEO marketing company that promotes its Google Certified seal on itís home page.

If you think I am kidding, as an example, please visit:
    epoisse cheese on www.marketsharebuilders.com.

Show me the relevant content on that page for epoisse cheese. Show me ANY content on that page for epoisse cheese. Tell me you can find a way to use the word cheese more times on one page. Tell me it is something other than an incredibly spammy doorway combo affiliate page of nothing but links back to the 8000 lbs. guerrilla Then explain to me why the firm who created it pepperjamsearch can proudly display a Google Certified Advertising Professional seal! A Google Qualified Adwords seal! A Yahoo Search Marketing Ambassador seal! Is this an example of what we SHOULD be doing for the approval of Google and Yahoo?

Despite complaining to the major engines more than once about the no content or duplicate content affiliate sites of the 8000 lbs guerrilla, this firm ranks #1 in all the SERPS of all the engines. Perhaps I have been missing the boat, trying to provide relevant fresh content, real information and quality service to our customers. Is this how to do SEO or does multiple no content or duplicate content or affiliate or doorway pages earn one the seal of approval of Google and Yahoo and give one the top ranking in the serps? Or do I just miss understand SEO?

Comments welcome.

TIA,
    Bill
  3. Contributing User

Instead of complaining.....

Originally Posted by Bill_H
    Despite complaining to the major engines more than once about the no content or duplicate content affiliate sites of the 8000 lbs guerrilla, this firm ranks #1 in all the SERPS of all the engines. Perhaps I have been missing the boat, trying to provide relevant fresh content, real information and quality service to our customers. Is this how to do SEO or does multiple no content or duplicate content or affiliate or doorway pages earn one the seal of approval of Google and Yahoo and give one the top ranking in the serps? Or do I just miss understand SEO?

Comments welcome.

TIA,
    Bill
    Instead of wasting time complaining why don't you just try and be better than the people who are spamming
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by zico82
    Instead of wasting time complaining why don't you just try and be better than the people who are spamming
    I honestly believe we are better than the people who are spamming, or are you suggesting that we out spam them? Take a look at the page I enclosed in the original post, it certainly would not take much to be better than that, but how do we compete, or be better than in your words, when that firm has hundreds of similar bls? All spam. In fact, the page I enclosed is ranked #1 on Yahoo.

Yet the firm that built the spam, has a seal of Yahoo on their home page- two seals from Google- so getting back to my question- is this the type of SEO that Yahoo or Google apparently approves?
  7. search engine voyeur

I honestly believe we are better than the people who are spamming, or are you suggesting that we out spam them? Take a look at the page I enclosed in the original post, it certainly would not take much to be better than that, but how do we compete, or be better than in your words, when that firm has hundreds of similar bls? All spam. In fact, the page I enclosed is ranked #1 on Yahoo.
    Yet the firm that built the spam, has a seal of Yahoo on their home page- two seals from Google- so getting back to my question- is this the type of SEO that Yahoo or Google apparently approves?
    I agree with your point of view on the tactics used by the site in question, however if you read the copy on pepperjamsearch's website, they say that many of the marketeers are google and yahoo accredited, not the company.
  9. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

so getting back to my question- is this the type of SEO that Yahoo or Google apparently approves?
    Just because they rank does not mean Google nor Yahoo approves... with billions of pages clearly they cannot hand review each one.

Report it, forget it, and keep improving your website... or hire a professional and save time and headaches.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Then explain to me why the firm who created it pepperjamsearch can proudly display a Google Certified Advertising Professional seal! A Google Qualified Adwords seal!
    These relate to Adwords PPC. They say nothing at all about the reputation of the company as regards SEO and the organic SERPS.
    Sussex Barn Dance
    The Hokey Cokey - is that really what it's all about?
  13. Contributing User

True, that is a spammy page with almost nothing to offer as far as content goes. So what's the problem? Surely you should be able to get your own content rich page higher in the SERPs than this page. If not, you might need to reconsider your past and current SEO activities.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Lightbulb

Yes guys!

Improve your links and rank will correspondingly increase donít worry, about spammer, they are everywhere.
    You may also include link and articles in your website, whaich will help you to seo
    Last edited by archana_3600; Jun 28th, 2006 at 07:02 AM.
  17. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Whatever you do, don't get caught in the trap of out-spamming the spammers. You do that and you will back here asking why you were banned. SEO/SEM takes a lot of work and patience. Redouble your SEO/SEM efforts or bring in a pro and triple your patience. Anything else may bring you disaster.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

simply report the offending sites with as much detail as you can to google and they will take care of it for you essentially. but as said earlier, don't combat evil with evil.
  21. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Why complain about spammers? Usually they excel in onsite spam optimization and most backlinks will be garbage so you really have a great advantage. You have something to worry about when your competitors are totaly white hat with loads of content and tons of high importance backlinks.
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Visio
    Why complain about spammers? Usually they excel in onsite spam optimization and most backlinks will be garbage so you really have a great advantage. You have something to worry about when your competitors are totaly white hat with loads of content and tons of high importance backlinks.
    Frankly, I don't mind being beaten by a better player, I can always learn from that and I do enjoy the contual challenge. We have brought our website from nowhere to continually improving SERPs in a relatively competitive area by hard work, reading everything we can on the subject, asking questions when we can, and constantly improving our website and its relative value to our customers.

But I do mind being beaten by a cheat. And if a SE like Yahoo allows their serps to be influenced for a website to come out #1 by tens of thousands of spammy links and yet allow the creator of that website to carry their seal (Yahoo Search Marketing Ambassador) then, yes I am concerned and will fight like h*ll about it. Just enter 'epoisse cheese' in Yahoo and see what site comes out on top and in second place...

And to Fathom and others, I have no intention of trying to outspam the cheats. It is definitively not my style.

But it does concern me that firms such as Google, Yahoo et al will allow their names to be in any way associated with cheats and that concern was at the root of my post. My association with numerous international bodies of standing is dependent upon my conforming to certain rules of conduct, and only then can I display their ensignias. Certainly, I do not realistically expect any SE to hand scan trillions of pages of those which may be associated with them in any sort of way, but when the SE, duly informed of the cheat numerous times and in very clear precise and well documented verbage, still does nothing, well that does indeed concern me and I think it should concern anyone in our industry.

Irregardless of the outcome, thanks to all who made the effort to repond and advise.

TIA,
    Bill
  25. Contributing User

epoisse cheese

Just enter 'epoisse cheese' in Yahoo and see what site comes out on top and in second place...
    Bill, I see 1,210 pages that match that query in Yahoo. If you, post a message on just about any indexed forum on the net with 'epoisse cheese' as the title it will probably jump to no.1.

Actually this post will probably come up no.1 in a couple of days!
    Last edited by saet; Jun 28th, 2006 at 11:02 AM.
  27. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Frankly, I don't mind being beaten by a better player, I can always learn from that and I do enjoy the contual challenge. We have brought our website from nowhere to continually improving SERPs in a relatively competitive area by hard work, reading everything we can on the subject, asking questions when we can, and constantly improving our website and its relative value to our customers.

But I do mind being beaten by a cheat. And if a SE like Yahoo allows their serps to be influenced for a website to come out #1 by tens of thousands of spammy links and yet allow the creator of that website to carry their seal (Yahoo Search Marketing Ambassador) then, yes I am concerned and will fight like h*ll about it. Just enter 'epoisse cheese' in Yahoo and see what site comes out on top and in second place...

And to Fathom and others, I have no intention of trying to outspam the cheats. It is definitively not my style.

But it does concern me that firms such as Google, Yahoo et al will allow their names to be in any way associated with cheats and that concern was at the root of my post. My association with numerous international bodies of standing is dependent upon my conforming to certain rules of conduct, and only then can I display their ensignias. Certainly, I do not realistically expect any SE to hand scan trillions of pages of those which may be associated with them in any sort of way, but when the SE, duly informed of the cheat numerous times and in very clear precise and well documented verbage, still does nothing, well that does indeed concern me and I think it should concern anyone in our industry.

Irregardless of the outcome, thanks to all who made the effort to repond and advise.

TIA,
    Bill

Yahoo has a big problem with spam and I haven't seen them doing much to stop it. Google on the other hand like any other search engine gets spam but are trying to keep it down. They keep changing their algo to keep everything relevant. It isn't there fault. I have seen very little spam on google. They do a pretty good job of cleaning it out. Some does get through but within a few months it usually is history. And if you report it they usually do a good job of taking care of it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo