1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How do Google process keywords "apple" and "apples"?

I find SERP are different using "apple" and "apples". How did Google process these kind of keywords? Do Google consider these two keywords absolutely different?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

From my experience search engine listings often differ slightly between singular and plural versions of a term. Also, with the example you give, obviously apple could be referring to the brand name.

Also I would assume no-one searching for apple the fruit would just type in the word apple(s) anyway. They would qualify the term with more contextual words.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

My keyword is Blue Widgets and most users search for that term. All my competitors optimize for that term.

I discovered G returns different results for the singular, Blue Widget. I added a couple of instances of Blue Widget to my home page and now get additional traffic. And because many of my competitors only have the plural on their site, they don't even show for the search Blue Widget!

You would think G would know they are the same search.

Bottom line: Research and find out which version is the most often searched. Optimize for that version. But add a couple instances of the opposite version (singular or plural).

Ed
    Last edited by eddyf; Mar 9th, 2008 at 12:26 PM.
  7. learn from lurking
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

its different bcoz of how websites use/target the a keyword... example: apple.com they might not use or mention "apples" to their site and other target and compete for that one...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo