1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

How come Google rank both static and dynamic page for duplicate content?

How come Google rank both static and dynamic page for duplicate content? Static page is used as mirror page that redicts to the dynamic page. Google not only indexes both pages but also provide rankings. The two pages have a little difference in title tags but the contents are the same.

These two pages are seen in Ecommerce sites, for example, bestbuy.com. Bestbuy.com's merchandise, e.g., Compaq "Presario 2800 Notebook" is searchable by Google with the static page http://www.bestbuy.com/products/1099389840386.jsp and also by the real and lengthy URL with "?" for dynamic.

I can't understand it. I thought Google detected mirrow page to reject spamming or it simply index the destination URL instead of the mirrow, if the dynamic page can be indexed. But, now I saw both had been indexed.

I think Amazon has the similar practice to get their products indexed by creating static mirror pages corresponding to the dynamic, so whenever a new product page is made, a static page is also made, so they can be crawled.

If this can be done, you save your energy/money to change all dynamic URL to static by simplying creating mirror pages.

Will this be practical? Will it be penalized by Google, 'cause you can create ten or twenty mirror pages for one dynamic.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Nothing with Google is absolute, but if you create 20 mirrors of the same page, you are VERY likely to get at least 19 of them banned, and possibly all 20. Just because you see an instance of something apparently going undetected or un-penalized, does not imply that everything in that class will go undetected or un-penalized. Bottom line, Google itself says don't do it. If you choose to do it anyway, you may benefit, or you may get clobbered. Personally, unless I am working on a 7,000,000 page web site, I don't use Amazon as a test case for determining the best way to optimize.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by brandall
    Personally, unless I am working on a 7,000,000 page web site, I don't use Amazon as a test case for determining the best way to optimize.
    Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, I am working on about 2000 pages for $1 store site and all dynamic. I am wondering if I should make an Amazon try.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by callback
    Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, I am working on about 2000 pages for $1 store site and all dynamic. I am wondering if I should make an Amazon try.
    Certainly, it's your call. Like I said, for me, I tend to play a more conservative game when I am working with clients. I find, that always works better in the long run. Besides, If they really have 2000 pages of unique content, you don't need to create duplicate pages to rank well, or even to get multiple spots for a given search. I have an F500 financila services client. We take up 2 spots for almost every search we target without using any duplicate content - just smart information architecture. I generally create a Portfolio page that lists a category of products and have it target the main keyword (and some 2ndary keywords) and then target the same main keyword with a product page. We regularly get both pages returned (one indented under the other) in Google's SERPs. Yet they are totally unique and each valuable to the user.