Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hosting Multiple Domains On One Hosting Package - One Site Has A Google Penalty

I previously had all my websites setup with their own individual hosting packages.

Now that i have quite a few sites i have just purchased a hosting package which i can add unlimited domains to.

Is there any negative SEO impact in hosting many sites on the same hosting account?

Also one site has a google penalty, will this have a negative effect on any of my other clean sites if they are all added to the same hosting account?

Thought i has best check before i go through with it.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I hear about it. But not surely

You should buy another IP for those sites.

Comments on this post

• Highland : You have no idea what you're talking about
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by devcfc
    I previously had all my websites setup with their own individual hosting packages.

Now that i have quite a few sites i have just purchased a hosting package which i can add unlimited domains to.

Is there any negative SEO impact in hosting many sites on the same hosting account?

Also one site has a google penalty, will this have a negative effect on any of my other clean sites if they are all added to the same hosting account?

Are the sites linked to each other?
  7. No Profile Picture
    sooru
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by devcfc

If your domain sharing your server and IP Address is penalized by a Search Engine on account of spamming then your website is also expected to be banned or penalized. The Reputation of the web host should be good with Search Engines.
  9. Banned
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

A separate IP address for each site you want to promote is ideal.

The shared hosting option your describing won't offer this as a default but it may be an option.

The penalty may well be domain based and may not affect you - but you are still much better off getting a separate IP address to be safe rather than sorry.

The usual reason people don't is cost, a dedicated IP address costs about $25 per year and you should spend that for any web site you are serious about promoting.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah ok, i wont risk it then.

The site that has been penalized isnt great anyway. I believe it was penalized after i included a "link exchange" page on the site.

I may just let it expire now.
  13. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Having multiple domains on the same IP isn't a problem. Has large percentage of websites are featured in this manner. Now, I can surmise there's some type of devaluation if your website has a 1000 links all from the same IP but 1000 different websites, but google does not penalize for having links solely on the same IP.

If one website is penalized on the IP I still don't see it hurting you. Now, if the IP has a reputation that includes 90% banned sites, I surmise google has some type of trust algo in place to catch the IP.

Having said all this, the answer is, "we don't know" and "there are spectrums to your answers".

It's SEO after all, one size never fits all.
  15. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by distinctseo
    Having multiple domains on the same IP isn't a problem. Has large percentage of websites are featured in this manner. Now, I can surmise there's some type of devaluation if your website has a 1000 links all from the same IP but 1000 different websites, but google does not penalize for having links solely on the same IP.

If one website is penalized on the IP I still don't see it hurting you. Now, if the IP has a reputation that includes 90% banned sites, I surmise google has some type of trust algo in place to catch the IP.

Having said all this, the answer is, "we don't know" and "there are spectrums to your answers".

It's SEO after all, one size never fits all.
    I agree 100% with this and its something that no one but google can really give a true answer to.

I would just like to add though, that I have about 5-7 personal sites that I have on my own hosting that all share the same IP and are linked as partner sites due to being relevant to each other. All of these rank on page 1-2 for my keywords so IMHO having your sites on the same IP even if linked together (in moderation as with my sites) will not affect your SEO.

Again as said above this is different for different people, sites and circumstances so its something you will have to test for yourself.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  17. Banned

Having multiple domains on the same IP isn't *necessarily* a problem.

It can cause problems.

For any site you are in any way serious about you protect yourself against undesirable effects by paying $25 per year for a dedicated IP.

As a business decision, that's a no-brainer.
  19. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by WhiteHatSEOMktg
    It can cause problems.
    You have some proof of this?
  21. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by WhiteHatSEOMktg
    Having multiple domains on the same IP isn't *necessarily* a problem.

It can cause problems.

For any site you are in any way serious about you protect yourself against undesirable effects by paying $25 per year for a dedicated IP.

As a business decision, that's a no-brainer.
    I dont agree, I have all my domains (personal sites from home) on the same IP on my server and I have never had any problems with my sites or SEO for them.

I think its nice for some sites to have a dedicated IP if needed but for the majority of sites a dedicated IP is not needed.

If you can show me over wise please do so, but unless you have some proof of what you say please dont go telling people they need to buy a new IP for each site they want to run.
  23. the mango demon

Here is an ooooold interview with google tech champ Craig Silverstain....
    http://interviews.slashdot.org/interviews/02/07/03/1352239.shtml
    You get your answers about IP sharing and virtual hosting.
    Q. NO 5

Matt Cutts confirms that it still holds true ..
    So dont worry about your IP go and worry about your site.

Yes..there is one way your IP could kill you. I am sure some sites that offer free hosting or cheap hosting use the servers as mass mailing and bot servers and just for being there you deserve to be killed.

Comments on this post

• WhiteHatSEOMktg agrees
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  25. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Normally I agree with White Hat but in this case he's flat out wrong.
    The vast majority of the Internet is virtual hosted (sharing one IP with many sites). Typically you ban an IP because that IP is doing something actively bad to a Google network (denial of service, port scans, etc). Most of the time, these bad things come from foreign networks (China, Russia, eastern Europe) or hijacked desktops. This is why you have firewalls.

Let's say you're on a shared host and someone on the same IP is actively engaged in SEO black hat. If Google stops indexing your site because of a site that may not even be related to yours, Google cuts itself off at the knees. Google WANTS to index content. They NEED content. Arbitrarily saying that it will never spider a site again based purely on IP means you could very easily de-index millions of sites, sites people likely DO want to visit. Nobody has ever been able to prove that two sites hosted on the same IP (even owned by the same person) will be banned just because of proximity. Even Matt Cutts has said Google doesn't treat virtual hosts differently from dedicated.

The only time you should ever NEED a dedicated IP is if you have an SSL certificate (one certificate per IP).
  27. Banned

As the Google tech detailed above says:

Google handles virtually hosted domains and their links just the same as domains on unique IP addresses.

A dedicated ip will not increase your rankings.

A dedicated ip will not affect your links or link popularity.

There are either rumours or a persistent myth that

A) sites on the same IP cross-linking have problems as being detected as a network and also that you can have your site affected if it is on the same IP as another site which is giving problems. Therefore following that logic it may possibly be advantageous to host on different IP ranges if you plan to cross-link properties under common ownership.

Netshops now Hayneedle went to great efforts and expense to buy separate IP addresses to host all their crosslinked shopping sites. I'm not saying it works, just that people do it.

B) You might suffer a problem from another site doing something bad on your shared virtual host on your IP. I don't have proof of this but I can prove that it is rumoured.

A) is a spam technique anyway and if you don't plan to do it then you're all good.

B) is certainly not a problem is your host is vigilant about such things and it may be a complete non-issue. You'd be well advised to choose a good diligent host who cares about spam. This is likely to be an issue at the bargain basement and of the market, so money on hosting may well be money better spent than spending it on IP addresses

The problems with shared IP addresses may all be complete myths and it may be a complete waste of time getting a dedicated IP address but my approach has always been nothwithstanding all that "why take the chance?".

A domain can be worth hundreds of millions of dollars. That along with the fact that a dedicated IP can simplify security and SSL setup if you need them (as stated in the previous post) is why big sites tend to be hosted on dedicated IP addresses.

IP addresses are in short supply and it may be difficult to get your host to give you a dedicated IP.

I wouldn't sweat this too much ever but if there's a checkbox on a hosting plan that asks if I'd like a dedicated IP at a small extra charge, then I for one, misguided as I may be shall continue to check that box.

Comments on this post

• NewDelhiSEO agrees : nice explanation. I am starting to like you even though it seems like a latest fashion to disagree with WhiteHat these days. ha ha ha
    Last edited by WhiteHatSEOMktg; Oct 12th, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
  29. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Netshops now Hayneedle went to great efforts and expense to buy separate IP addresses to host all their crosslinked shopping sites. I'm not saying it works, just that people do it.
    I'm not sure they did that entirely for SEO reasons, tho, if at all. When they were Netshops, they also had one other thing they went to a lot of expense for: dedicated SSL. Every website had its own checkout and SSL certificate. We had a lot of discussions here about that (we compete with them in some segments) and I pushed us to get one EV cert and keep checkout central rather than get hundreds of domain validated SSL certs. Cheaper and reassured customers with the fabled "green bar". Hayneedle heralded a central checkout on one subdomain (checkout.hayneedle.com) for all their websites with one EV cert. Hayneedle uses a clustered load balanced system now.

The concept of IP diversity in linking is another topic entirely.

I don't have proof of this but I can prove that it is rumoured.
    I can prove many things are rumored. The problem is that not only is there no proof (this rumor has been out there for more than 5 years) but it doesn't make sense. Unless someone is actually attacking Google, there's no reason for them to ban an IP if someone is just simply posting spammy sites or doing black hat things. Again, Google would destroy their own index if they took such a position. I don't see any point in alarming people for something that nobody has even build a convincing case for.

I will give you one thing: having your own IP to do your own virtual host on is definitely superior to being on a shared host (for a lot more reasons than just the IP). With the advent of virtual dedicated hosting (with your very own IP), I recommend growing companies move to that from shared as soon as possible. Shared hosting means you share processing, RAM and everything else. You get someone you're sharing with who is running a resource intensive site and you might find your own site slowed down (which is a much more proven SEO problem for sites). Virtual dedicated at least guarantees you some resources.

Comments on this post

• lewisdb agrees
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: