Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Host Location and Google Plus

I joined Hosting Matters a short time ago and must say that they appear to be very well organized and offer cost effective hosting.

Due to this I am considering changing from my London UK based hosting company to Hosting Matter for other domains I have. However, I do have 2 concerns and that is the location of the Hosting Matters hosting service as they are based in the United States.

All my domains are .co.uk and as most readers will be aware this is the main domain extension of the United Kingdom. My concern is will search engines realize where my business is located and provide an accurate search result with regard to business location. So a search with google.co.uk providing result of UK businesses and also google.com.

Also, at present I rate very well with google under particular search terms and wonder if this might change due to changing hosting companies.

Finally, the following traceroute is based from the UK on another domain I have hosted with Hosting Matters. Should I be concerned with the slower connection speeds illustrated below.

TRACEROUTE 63.247.133.3

Green=fast, Orange=medium, Red=Slow link from United Kingdom

HopRouter nameIP Addressmsmsms1gw12k-hex-g2-0-gbic.uk2net.com213.239.57.10002217.163.4.33217.163.4.330003ae-0-51.bbr1.London1.Level3.net212.187.131.10004so-3-0-0.mp1.London2.Level3.net212.187.128.460005as-0-0.bbr2.Washington1.Level3.net4.68.128.1027373736as-2-0.bbr1.Atlanta1.Level3.net64.159.1.18686867so-7-2-0.gar1.Atlanta1.Level3.net209.247.9.158918686867.72.8.3867.72.8.388686869core-02-ge-0-2-0-0.atln.twtelecom.net66.192.243.3487878710dist-02-so-0-0-0-0.tamq.twtelecom.net66.192.243.5100101100

I do have my views on this but for the moment leave set these aside as it would be beneficial to receive feedback and thoughts from users of this forum.

Thanks all that read this for any input given.
    [left]
    Ashley Jezella

[edit]no sig please[/edit]
    Last edited by rustybrick; Aug 26th, 2004 at 09:19 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you move your site to an US host you won't be indexed anymore in the UK pages of gg.co.uk even with your domain name. Only the physical location of the host matters ... Isn't a bit risky for you?
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by MrSquirrel

All my domains are .co.uk and as most readers will be aware this is the main domain extension of the United Kingdom. My concern is will search engines realize where my business is located and provide an accurate search result with regard to business location. So a search with google.co.uk providing result of UK businesses and also google.com.

Also, at present I rate very well with google under particular search terms and wonder if this might change due to changing hosting companies.
    If you are a UK company doing the majority of your business within the UK or immediate area, changing to a US server will affect your ranking when people are searching for a UK company. This will be notable when they check the little "pages from the UK" radio button, I don't know how much but if you decided to change I would be real interested in what you saw. I often use that to scrape of the majority of the US results.

Has anyone actually changed and documented what you saw in the serps. For it to be acurate, you would have had to have been at a pretty stable position before you switched over.

7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by -ZN-
    If you move your site to an US host you won't be indexed anymore in the UK pages of gg.co.uk even with your domain name. Only the physical location of the host matters ... Isn't a bit risky for you?
    Are you sure you won't be listed at all? I have one site that is on a US server but still shows up on google.co.uk with the pages from UK button checked.

It ranks crap but it is indexed.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Jasontnyc
    Are you sure you won't be listed at all? I have one site that is on a US server but still shows up on google.co.uk with the pages from UK button checked.

It ranks crap but it is indexed.
    I have a .lt domain hosted in the UK. If you search google.co.uk it ranks 8 out of 54,800,000. Click the uk button only and it is nowhere. A lot of it I'm sure still has to do with the domain itself.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hubel
    I have a .lt domain hosted in the UK. If you search google.co.uk it ranks 8 out of 54,800,000. Click the uk button only and it is nowhere. A lot of it I'm sure still has to do with the domain itself.
    Yes, it has been my experience is that the domain is most important by far...I would say a huge chunk of .co.uk's are hosted in the US (a lot of people not realizing it) so I don't see your site being removed. Just slipping a few places.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

yeah, any .uk domain will show in google.co.uk serps even if they are hosted elsewhere. It shouldn't affect your rankings at all.
    Derryt
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by derryt
    yeah, any .uk domain will show in google.co.uk serps even if they are hosted elsewhere. It shouldn't affect your rankings at all.
    Even in "pages from the UK"?
    I have competitor beating me on .com , global results are the same on .co.uk ... but as I have serp 2 on "pages from the uk" (my competitors are hosted in the US) it still brings me traffic ... won't I loose it if my website is hosted in the US?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have competitor beating me on .com , global results are the same on .co.uk ... but as I have serp 2 on "pages from the uk" (my competitors are hosted in the US) it still brings me traffic ... won't I loose it if my website is hosted in the US?
    No, US servers with a local tld won't show in "pages from local country". But this should be all you lose.
  19. Contributing User

Absolutely they will show if the "pages from UK only" button is checked. Then Google.co.uk shows results with .uk suffixes AND sites hosted in the UK. Thus your .uk sites hosted in the USA will show.

You won't lose traffic at all.

HTH
  21. No Profile Picture

I suppose that one way to see what happens is to move from my present host in the uk to one in the usa for a month and see what happens.
  23. Contributing User

That's one way for sure . I've got US sites hosted in the UK and UK sites hosted in the US, it's never made any difference.

Cheers
  25. No Profile Picture

This is an interesting thread

does website HOST location affect your rank??
  27. No Profile Picture

This is what I added into the above link as these are my conclusions.

I have been reading this with great interest as I am considering moving my .co.uk British based business domain from being hosted in the uk to a hosting company in the us.

The thread above is very interesting though can leave one confussed. Due to this I decided to use the geotargeting website location tool to test some theories. The results were interesting. I typed in my main keywords where I am in position 3 with google.co.uk (the web) and position 4 (pages for the uk). Position 3 with google.com. Now as mentioned above my hosting service is uk based.

The result was that url at position 1 is hosted in the us. At position 2 the url is hosted in the us. Position 3, myself is hosted in the uk. position 4 hosted in the us. Position 5 hosted in the us. These positions were the result of www.google.com (the web). In the case of www.google.co.uk the result were identical. Then tried www.google.ca (search the web) were the result were identical. In www.google.ca (pages from canada) the result given were tose of Canada.

This leaves me with the conclusion that if the domain extension is .uk and you seek business in the uk it matters little where you are hosted. What was strange was the fact that under www.google.co.uk (uk pages) my site dropped from position 3 to that of 4 and my hosting co is in the uk.
  29. Contributing User

Originally Posted by MrSquirrel
    What was strange was the fact that under www.google.co.uk (uk pages) my site dropped from position 3 to that of 4 and my hosting co is in the uk.
    Probably just a normal data centre variation.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: