Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I think I'm starting to understand and had no idea that by simply having a forum post title that was similar to my article this would occur.

Thank you for the tip.

Would this have had such an effect on rankings though? This is just one page that was hurt - the rest haven't been posted anywhere and they dropped off the face of the earth too. I had a number of other key words and phrases that contributed to the 600 impressions per day down to 10.
  3. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by s00tie
    I think I'm starting to understand and had no idea that by simply having a forum post title that was similar to my article this would occur.
    Huh? it's a little deeper than that:
    <phrase now removed as requested>
    is exactly the same on your site as it is on http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Feat...sp?TextID=1441

Word for word
    Last edited by dzine; Dec 11th, 2012 at 07:38 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well I guess that's the answer then.

Can I do anything about this site using my content? My article was posted in Feb where as theirs was July 2012.

I'm guessing it wasn't by accident that they took the intro of a highly ranking page and used it as their own.

Although this throws light on this particular page, would it have such an effect on the rest?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've contacted the company about their content to see if they are prepared to change or remove it - if they don't would it be a viable option to alter mine (even though it pains me to do so)?

Something I still do not understand fully is why them copying this one piece of content has hammered my rankings for all keywords across all my sites.

I also read that Google is supposed to be able to see which article was posted first and give that priority - that clearly is not happening as I also noticed this morning that this thread now actually ranks higher for the phrase posted above than my site.

I'm not sure which of the Google gods I've upset or awoken, but something just doesn't add up here.
  9. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Something I still do not understand fully is why them copying this one piece of content has hammered my rankings for all keywords across all my sites.
    You only gave me one key phrase that you were ranking for, so I investigated that and gave you what I thought.

What other key phrases were "hammered"?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you for the reply again - I appreciate that you take time out of your day to answer these posts and that my numbers are very insignificant compared to most sites.

Everything just dropped after Sep 29th as you can see from this image:

imageshack(dot)us/photo/my-images/545/webmastertools.jpg/

In terms of other keywords, another example is "lg dual play"

In the 3 weeks leading up to the 29th it had 400 impressions and for the 3 weeks after it had 50.

(Could only do the 3 weeks before due to webmaster tools data age - soon I wont have any evidence).

The total impressions dropped from 600 / day to about 10 and have barely recovered.

I only run 4 sites and one that was doing ok has now got to the point where its receiving no impressions at all - and showing no search querries in Webmaster tools:

fantasyfootyforum(dot)co.uk
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I can't remember where I read it but someone has just rerun this issue - can't for the life of me remember where - seomoz?.

They copied content from a page with a low Page Rank and put it on their own high Page Rank website (with the consent of the webmaster for the purpose of the experiment). Google had already indexed the original content and the original content was ranking for a keyword.

For the keyword in question the website that copied the material started to rank higher than the one with the original content!

They did this a number of times with the same result. Google is attacking duplicate content but it isn't getting it quite right yet - when it finds duplicate content it seems to be giving the benefit of the doubt to the website with the higher PR .... ? It assumes high PR sites wouldn't do that sort of thing?

A bit like Anyville Herald prints a story, The NY Times copy the story. Google assumes the NY Times wrote the story because they wouldn't copy people!.
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I only run 4 sites and one that was doing ok has now got to the point where its receiving no impressions at all - and showing no search querries in Webmaster tools:

fantasyfootyforum(dot)co.uk
    Just my suggestion - stop thinking "why has it dropped?" and started thinking "Why should it rank?".

What keywords were you ranking for according to GWT and were bringing in traffic? Now search those terms and see who is ranking where you once were. Then, hand on heart, ask yourself if they are better or worse than your forum.

I'm dealing with a great many people in your situation at the moment and in so many cases you just have to say, "Google's serps are a better place now they've dropped your website". They're unhappy because they've lost advertising revenue, subscription payments or something else but they were making it all on easy street.

So what do you think? Has Google really cocked up or have you simply been overtaken by stronger and better sites?
    Last edited by Doodled; Dec 8th, 2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling
  17. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'm late to the party, but here are a few thoughts.

Your image from WMT is pretty typical of a Panda hit site. If you have significant duplicate content on these domains then the whole domain can be flagged with Panda and as such, Google will show your site to very few searchers. Panda updated September 27th and I could certainly buy that the traffic started to drop then.

Do you have content that is the same across all 4 of these sites by any chance?

There are many other possibilities though.

In the 3 weeks leading up to the 29th it had 400 impressions and for the 3 weeks after it had 50.
    How new is the page that is receiving impressions here? If it is a relatively new page then it is normal for it to get a honeymoon boost where it may appear higher in the SERPS than it deserves and then it can drop down to its rightful place. Just a thought.

Regarding your epinionated site, it doesn't look there are obvious Panda issues. (However if you are aware of duplicated articles at all then this would be significant). But, I also don't see a whole lot of reason for the site to rank. According to ahrefs you've got two followed links to your site. If you are trying to rank for competitive things like ipads and WOW, you're going to need many more links to your site in order to compete. It still doesn't explain the decimation at the end of September though.

Sorry I don't have a direct answer, but thought I'd give my two cents.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you for the additional feedback Doodled and Dr.Marie

Its a shame that Google doesn't rank the date the article was first published with a bit more priority - but hey ho. A question on the duplication then... I have contacted the 'reputable' website in question in the hope they will remove / edit the content but seeing as it was their 'Online Marketing Manager' who posted it, I won't hold my breath. Would it be worth me swallowing my pride and just editing my content so it doesn't match any more?

I do take the point also about the fantasy footy forum. It isn't the greatest content on the net and I wouldn't expect it to be ranking well currently as we're still building the community but it's gone from about 100 impressions, to no search queries found which I find a little odd.

If these moves do mean that the serps actually provide better content I'll actually be happy and it will just encourage me to post higher quality content going forwards, unfortunately, they are still dominated by spam and paid for adverts which kinda sucks.

As for joining the party late Dr.Marie, I think it's fair to say that it doesn't matter when you receive a quality reply

I've not considered the honeymoon period thing, that has actually given me a little hope and to be fair, neither site is over a year old yet. None of the content on the four sites is duplicated, not even user names for the forums

I've also not really spent much time link building with the main blog, other than the one that's now ranking higher than my site :doh:

I guess it's time to take off the tin foil hat, forget about the drop in impressions and continue producing content. After all, 600 impressions per day isn't actually much to write home about to begin with, there are people that have been affected much more than me.

Thank you again to everyone who's taken the time to respond.

Comments on this post

• Dr.Marie agrees : Great attitude. :) Stick around and ask lots of questions and you will do well.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just wanted to post a quick update.

Although I didn't receive the courtesy of a reply, the offending website has now edited it's content so the main duplicate has been removed. The only ones left now are the usual site scrapers and this thread!

Not sure if it will make a difference, but KernelPanic - would you be kind enough to edit post 17 to remove the phrase please?

Thanks again for the help.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page: