1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Homepage not showing up for Brand Term

Hi

We have a very long standing website which has made a bit of a comeback since Penguin in October, however we have noticed recently (not sure when it started) that our homepage is not showing up when we type name of our company into Google. Instead it shows a secondary page on our site.

When we search site:domain.com, it again doesn't show until you reach the last page and then google asks you if you want to search again with omitted results.
    We tested the page for duplicate, found other sites who had scraped our content so we re-wrote most of and then re-crawled it yesterday. Nothing has happened.

The page is showing 'officially' in google but also not for any of our other decent search terms. Other pages are showing instead, so there isnt a 'no index' tab on it.

Recently, we have been building our link profile and have gone from a DA 22 to 29 in the last year so I doubt its spam backlinks? we have built genuine links.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated.
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by cunning_stunt
    Recently, we have been building our link profile...
    Well, I would say that's probably your problem.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

why?.. genuine outreach to decent sites distributed to the whole site.
  7. Contributing User

Yeah, that is not a good sign that youre not showing for your primary brand terms (assuming that there is no user intent overlap with generic terms, or that there has not been signifcant news about your brand,etc)
    Are backpages still ranking for anything or have you disappeared completely?

RE:"The page is showing 'officially' in google but also not for any of our other decent search terms. Other pages are showing instead, so there isnt a 'no index' tab on it."

Is this your homepage or a backpage that you're referring to?

I would not look at DA...that is a third party metric, so it will really not help you with fixing the issue.
    How much link build have you been doing, was it a really aggressive campaign? DA is not a good proxy for the links, google is way more sophisticated in how they analyze links?

The easy culprit would be links BUT I'd need to know more about the features of the links to be able to say for sure...one thing that comes to mind off the bat is do they have keyword anchor text? Can comment more on the link work you've been doing?

Have you made any recent changes to the site? Parhaps a recent deployment affected how you appear in google or have you already taken a peek at that?

In addition to links, have you guys been tweaking anything on page?

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about the issue...I've seen stuff like this before and the best thing to do is go through all the possible culprits through a process of deduction to try to isolate the issue...happy to comment more but need more info..
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

May we have domain name.. as Mark Robert's says..... leave off the http / https / www

I then think we could give you better advice on what your issues may be.

Oh btw... even spam links from bad sites are genuine links. So genuine link building means you built links, not that they are good or bad, but that you generated them.

Comments on this post

• whiterabbit agrees