1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Homepage no longer in google (Due to server error), when will it be back?

Hi all

We have an issue thats driving us crazy, we made an upgrade to our homepage in December that wasn't rock solid, in some cases it returned a 500 error, while we were quick to fix it it would appear we weren't quick enough. Our traffic dropped 90% and it appeared Google removed the broken page from the index.

This had happened to us before, and it took 7 days (looking at the logs) for it to bounce back. This time we haven't been so lucky and its been over 2 weeks now.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I guess the problem for us is just the unknown, we have no idea what the hell is going on. It might come back on in 5 minutes, or in a month.

(We have submitted it to the index, and Google can now successfully fetch the page via GWT)

Any insight or pearls of wisdom anyone can offer?

Thanks in advance for any help

Geoff
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

What's the website?
    Have the pages been indexed again?
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi joshz,

The website is a large ecommerce site, we have roughly 2m pages and watching the logs right now I can see we are indeed being indexed by Google, so we haven't been totally wiped off.

This would have been a whole lot worse if we weren't being indexed at all right? We were going from a height of 6000 pages indexed per day, to now about 600'ish. Things do seem to be "pointing in the right direction". Its just we're waiting for the page to get back into the index before we can properly launch our business!!!!

To throw something else into the mix we're actually seeing a lot of pages being indexed by Google IP's in our logs that have never existed! The URL structure is totally different to ours, from what I've read this is a common thing. Just thought it might be worth mentioning.