1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Homepage Links or Deep Links?

I have a site with over 12 catergories of leather products. I have been building inbound links to the homepage for the last 3 months and have had some good results in The google rankings.

I however also want to rank well in google for the other 12 catergory pages (these currently do not rank well)

Should I continue building links to the index page (and spread the PR) or should I also concentrate on getting deep links to the other pages too?

Thank you in advance
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by williamfor
    I have a site with over 12 catergories of leather products. I have been building inbound links to the homepage for the last 3 months and have had some good results in The google rankings.

I however also want to rank well in google for the other 12 catergory pages (these currently do not rank well)

Should I continue building links to the index page (and spread the PR) or should I also concentrate on getting deep links to the other pages too?

Thank you in advance
    I am no expert so I hope someone pulls me up if I'm wrong but if I wanted to improve the ranking of a certain part of my site I would build links to that part of the site with appropriate anchor text. Also ensure you have links there from your homepage. Maybe start a blog and link to the categories from your blog too.

Good luck and prepare for a long wait - you will get there in the end

Cheers - Glenn
  5. Customized?

In general it is of course good to link also to your categories with the right anchor text.
    I have one "negative" example of a PR6 site linking to a page of mine which is somewhere in the lowest level and nothing improved. neither SERPs nor PR. God knows why
  7. SEO bull
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Thank you in advance
    Concentrate on deep links as well. Your site will look more natural.

Try to compete with your homepage for your primary keywords and use the other pages for less important keywords.
  9. Contributing User

Distribute your keywords through out you site ,put your best keywords on the homepage as if a interested visitor comes to ur site there is a very good chance that he might look deeper.

but proper inbound anchor text as well as getting links from other sites also will help a lot.

When i am, referring to inbound anchor text i mean the anchor text on the links from your main page to the subpage.
  11. seo ranter
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yes you should get some deep links to the other category pages but don't let it take your time and resources from your home page where it seems like you are making good progress. If you can get links then that's great

Originally Posted by -mj-
    I have one "negative" example of a PR6 site linking to a page of mine which is somewhere in the lowest level and nothing improved. neither SERPs nor PR. God knows why
    It could just be that the site has lost its ability to pass PR maybe stemming from a penalty or they were caught selling links....I don't know if you were expecting wonders from that ONE link
  13. Customized?

I doubt it, its from a ""Examination, Conference, Institutional" site, so actually quiet trustworthy with 3 outbound links.
    Its just PR5, I remembered wrong.
    The only negative thing I can see there is that it links directly with the URL, not with some nice anchor text
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

seems like so good advice. I will try for deep links as well as the homepage. Thanks for the reassurance.
  17. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

seems like so good advice. I will try for deep links as well as the homepage. Thanks for the reassurance.
    Good plan; deep links are extremely valuable and - with good interlinking - will benefit the entire site.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  19. No Profile Picture

Definitely, work on building links around the category pages if you want to see their rankings improved. Inter-linking of the site will help you a lot so yes, deep linking is a must. PR spreading shouldn't deter you from building links as PR has no direct affect on traffic on your site. And make sure the anchor text pointing to the individual page is relevant to the topic of the page.

Thank you in advance
  21. I Know Kung Fu

My recommendation is to mix it up - some links to homepage and some to each of your other pages.
  23. SEO bull
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by WebGeek182
    My recommendation is to mix it up - some links to homepage and some to each of your other pages.
    Uff, to each of the pages? That means 45000 links for me!

That's impossible for me. But I try to gain one link here one link there and I hope my content on other pages are so attractive that they produce some backlinks on their own.
  25. I Know Kung Fu

Originally Posted by tybi
    Uff, to each of the pages? That means 45000 links for me!

That's impossible for me. But I try to gain one link here one link there and I hope my content on other pages are so attractive that they produce some backlinks on their own.
    Well, KEY pages.

Totally understand....in that case, category pages. The more trust your domain has though, your other pages should have no problem ranking.