1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Homepage indexing question

Hi

I wish to get google to index more often.

Homepage has an introduction text that stays the same.

What I was thinking to do was every time we add a blog post to the site was on the homepage text just add an an extract maybe 2 or 3 lines from the post with a link of course to the post.

My question is if it was the same text(for the 2 or 3 lines) would this be classed as duplicate content or can google see that we are just trying to tell people about the blog?

Many Thanks Dan
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

IMHO Static home pages are pretty much a waste of time for both google and the user. There was a trend many years ago to have a welcome page as the home page, most people are too busy and want to get to the meat of the site without having to reading welcome to my site blah blah blah. If that is your home page then my advise would be to seriously think about updating it to something more dynamic which would give google a reason to index it more regularly. If it never changes as you suggest then Google will learn it does not need to be checked as often.

As for including a snippet of the main blog post, This is something blogs do all the time, I stand to be corrected but I doubt that would have a negative effect but supplying your home page with fresh regular text would be of greater benefit.
    Good SERPS is great, Traffic however is even better
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks Chedders

Well there is only a small amount of bla bla bla test on the homepage and we have travel offers and banners that get changed on a regular basis.

I was never sure if changing the banners/images for travel offers would do the same job thats why I had the idea about the text.

What do you think would google recognise the image/banner changes?

Thanks Again Danny
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Treat google the same as you should any other user, put up things that should be of interest and are current to your niche. If you can get users checking back on a regular basis then Google will as well.

Search engines in general read text better than images so try overlaying text onto your images instead of doing it all as a graphic using CSS or even look at HTML5 / SVG to build your graphics.

General advice is ever since the internet became popular the term "content is king" has been thrown around, today its just as true if not more so, keep adding to it and updating it, changing it. The more your site updates the better chance you have of google spotting this and visit more often to keep its index fresh. Which is from what I gather your objective.