1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Home Page vs. Deep Page ranking for important keyword

Hi all. For an important keyword of mine, my home page ranks decently, but I want a deep page to rank instead. The content is much more focused for this keyword, and I believe it would keep readers around longer.

The keyword is "Diamond Clarity".
    The site is truthaboutdiamonds[dot]com
    The deep page I want rank for this keyword is here: www[dot]truthaboutdiamonds[dot]com/truth-about/diamond-clarity/

Right now, the homepage ranks #10. It was previously at #8, but I removed the words "Diamond Clarity" from the title tag of the home page thinking that maybe that would convince Google to use my deep page instead (it didn't).

Also strange is that the deep article is nowhere to be found in the results at all. Any idea why this is happening?

With other keywords, I don't seem to have this issue. For "Diamond Color" and "Diamond Fluorescence" BOTH home page and deep article show up together in the top 10 SERP. For "diamond Cut" the homepage is #10 and the deep article is close behind in the teens.

So my question is twofold: 1) How do I convince Google to move a deep page ahead of the homepage for a given keyword, and 2) in the case of "Diamond Clarity" specifically, any suggestions why that page doesn't rank?

Thanks
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Get links using the phrase as an anchor to the page and it will increase in ranks... in fact once it catches up to the quality level of the homepage you will receive a double listing (a listing with an ident)... if you happen to get links with the same anchor to a 3rd page (at least 3 pages are needed in total) you'll also get sitelinks to display with your listings.