1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Home Page/ Site Map and Google

If your home page contains most of the elements of your site map, and your site map is linked on every page of the site, what effect does this have on Google's page rank? Several people here have suggested that having a site map on each page is "good" for google, but I'm not sure how to come to that conclusion in the reading I've done about the suspected algorithms used by Google.

On my web site, the site map is just a page containing all of the internal links, including one back to the home page.

Does the site map ultimately get a PR of its own, and would that be critical for the PR of the home page?

Sorry if these are basic, but I'm very new at this, (and fortunately just doing it for fun.)

Any thoughts?

Dave

www.woodenpropeller.com
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi Dave, checked out your site, love the originality of it's content and your unique hobby.

Here are a few suggestions.

If you are not intentionally concentrating PR on certain pages, it would be a good idea to list individual picture pages in your picture gallery in your site-map as well. That way those pages would not get isolated once the PR of your site-map page goes up.

Having a site map on each page certainly makes it easy for the bots to find each individual page, however, I would let the senior members weigh in on whether such concentrated cross linking is a good idea or not.

You have a PR of 1 on your main page. Some pages that are linked to the main page share that PR 1, however, some inner pages do not show a PR or have fractional PR (under 1). You might want to link those pages to other pages which have a PR of 1.

At this point, it's best to get some links from websites with a PR greater than yours. This would help boost your PR.

Also, make sure the related-websites links you provide on your webpage are not dead/broken. Seems like couple of them don't work (or the sites may be temporarily down).

Hope this helps.

Kareem
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks, Kareem. Funny you should mention the photo option on the links. I had just figured out I should do that, even without the implications for Google.

The site is new and at the last dance, had 0 outside links. I'm working on those now, but I found that it's quite a chore to find and contact the right people on every site I'd like to be on. I'm already linked to a few sites (with PR4 or better) so I'm looking forward to the next dance.

I checked the links and they all worked fine. The one titled "WW1 Aviation Links" seems to go 404 fairly frequently.

Dave
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Free Check for broken/dead links

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Reading that link makes me realize even more that I am in no way a webmaster, and probably shouldn't be trying to do this at all. I can't really tell whether it's telling me some things are OK, or whether it's telling me to hire someone to do it right or else go out and shoot myself (long way away from that).

I've taken everyone's advice and decided to ignore Google for a month. I was pleased to come up #4 on MSN and about the same on Alltheweb for keyword search "wooden propeller".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo