1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Home page ranks well, internal pages not so well.

I have a site that the homepage ranks well for all it terms.
    Not fantastic, but in the top 10 for most. However the internal pages seem to only rank for very unique and uncompetitive phrases or keywords.

I'm trying to get the internal pages to rank good as well. Being it's a e-commerce site , I think this would improve my sales/revenue.

The problem I'm having is that is would appear that I am not getting any credit for my own internal linking to category and product pages.

Any idea why this might be ?

One strange thing I have noticed(strange because I have not had this occur in the past) is that if I add to my homepage content a term or phrase (just the words, not anchor text) that is from one of my category pages, my homepage will rank fairly well for that term or phrase with in a few weeks time.

While some might find this appealing, I don't want to add a bunch of terms to my homepage that really are most relevent to a category or product just to get ranking, because I think in the long run, it will dilute my homepage and I will lose ground on my main and more general terms which my homepage is optomized for.

I figure I could overcome the problem with some external backlinks to the internal pages, however I have two problem there, I have over 40 categories and about 2800 products. I just can't get that many links for the internal pages in my niche market. The bigger problem here though is that on a category I experiemented with. I couldn't even get it to rank well for for an uncompetitive term/keyword were Google shows less than 10K of results.

Ideas Anyone ?
  3. hctibselgoogtonmai
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

My experience has been that you really need to build up some site authority (quality links + time + content) to start hitting decent terms with your interior pages and then you'll find it's difficult to compete with a site devoted to that specific term that's been around for any length of time.
    My Favorite Tools: Web CEO - Ranking Reports, Keyword Research, Link Analysis | Hosting.com - U.S. Windows Hosting | ISAPI Rewrite - Rewrite & Redirect for Windows
  5. Croatia - Hrvatska

I have over 40 categories and about 2800 products.
    i got idea, but i don't want say until i see url
  7. :::::::::::::::::::::
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

are you getting any BL's to you internal pages other than internal links?
    ** Do you want links on 10+ directories?
    ** Each directory is on a Unique C-Class IP & range from PR3 to PR5.
    ** If you are interested then Please Submit Your Site...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by sgroup
    are you getting any BL's to you internal pages other than internal links?
    I have some, but getting them is tough, I don't have quite as many backlink possibilities as some other type of site do.

Bruno, let's hear your idea.....the url is not going to be provided.
  11. Croatia - Hrvatska

without url, this is just guess, but here it is

you got 40 categories and 2800 products, then probably your site is big, it has couple tousand page's, so it can be sandbox, wrong optimized page or duplicate content problem, in most cases for big site's is duplicate content

my guess is duplicate content, thats way you can't rank on smaller keywords becose duplicated page's are penalised
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Bruno
    without url, this is just guess, but here it is

you got 40 categories and 2800 products, then probably your site is big, it has couple tousand page's, so it can be sandbox, wrong optimized page or duplicate content problem, in most cases for big site's is duplicate content

my guess is duplicate content, thats way you can't rank on smaller keywords becose duplicated page's are penalised
    Well, it's certainly not sandboxed and it's not an optimization problem that is with the on-page contents, we have been very careful about doing good and sound optimization.

I can't imagine it is a duplicate content issue, we have written all our own product descriptions to make them unique and made sure that each product had enough of a description/content so that it outweighed the common element. Lastly, we have done all kinds of searches to make sure no one is scraping our product descriptions. We also have our non-www properly mapped to our www so that Google does not see them as seperate domains.
  15. Croatia - Hrvatska

I can't imagine it is a duplicate content issue, we have written all our own product descriptions to make them unique and made sure that each product had enough of a description/content so that it outweighed the common element. Lastly, we have done all kinds of searches to make sure no one is scraping our product descriptions. We also have our non-www properly mapped to our www so that Google does not see them as seperate domains.
    did you check with tool each page? (code is part of page, not just content)
    do you see with site:www.domain.com links without title and description?
    Last edited by Bruno; Aug 14th, 2005 at 05:28 PM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Bruno
    did you check with tool each page? (code is part of page, not just content)
    do you see with site:www.domain.com links without title and description?
    Not sure what you are asking here Bruno